Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 18, 2014, 04:08:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MOVING BEES IN WINTER  (Read 1028 times)
CTbeeman
New Bee

« on: November 26, 2008, 04:24:24 PM »

I have to move in January and was wondering if it will be safe to move the bees to their new yard. huh I don't really have a choice and have to move them.
2 hives with 1 deep and 1 medium full of stores. The nuc isn't as heavy(no problem with that). I plan on strapping them each so the hives cannot pop apart during transport. 
All have screened bottoms. I have a pickup with a closed cap, so cold wind should not be a problem. And yes I will be closing the entrances.

If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 04:38:46 PM »

you can strap them and/or use staples to hold them together.  you can buy hive staples, but the bigger electrical staples work also.  close the hive up before hammering smiley.  to close fronts, i use an entrance reducer held in place with duct tape.  it's easy and keeps bees from sticking to the tape. 

since you have to move them, it doesn't matter whether it's safe or not smiley.  i don't see any problem with it.  they will be fine when the weather warms up and they start flying.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 05:56:41 PM »

Winter is the perfect time to move hives, especially short distances. You don't have to worry about foragers returning to the old location since they will reorientate when spring comes.   I prefer ratchet straps to hive staples for moving hives.  Staples not only damage the hive bodies, but they don't put any tension on pulling the boxes together, and unless you use a bunch of them,  the hive will be loose.   One ratchet strap is much easier and more secure.

rob...

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

rast
Field Bee

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 06:22:51 PM »

Make the trip as gentle as possible to keep the cluster together if really cold.

Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda
CTbeeman
New Bee

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 06:25:43 PM »

Thanks for the replys all, I needed some reassurance. I was hoping it wouldn't be a problem.

If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it.
PerryBee
New Bee

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 06:34:16 PM »

I was wondering the same thing ( sort of ). I have one hive about fifty feet away from the others and I would like to move it closer so it will get more sun. My fear was that on a warmer day if they took cleansing flights would they reorient themselves or return to the old location?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next