Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 23, 2014, 03:16:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do You Do It?  (Read 841 times)
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« on: November 26, 2008, 11:35:02 AM »

Cook your Turkey that is?
 I started the brining process last night and will smoke mine w/ sugar maple wood. Tastes fantastic.... Yummyyyyy.
Happy thanksgiving everyone.
may your bird be moist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 12:15:50 PM »

1 Deep fried grin
1 in the oven grin

Licking the chops in anticipation

Keith
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 01:40:20 PM »

KONASDAD
when you smoke do you use a cure?  I use sodium  nitrite.    morton tenderquick can be bought at the grocer and contains nitrite.  I know its not nessisary if you smoke with high heat but at these high temps your really baking it.  I keep the heat low and smoke it for a long time.  Our local slaughter house/butcher shop makes what they call ham smoked turkeys.  They needle the turkey with ham brine then place them in the cold smoker under the hams for a couple of weeks.  The hams drip on the turkeys.  They are spectacluar!!!
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 02:33:15 PM »

KONASDAD
when you smoke do you use a cure?  I use sodium  nitrite.    morton tenderquick can be bought at the grocer and contains nitrite.  I know its not nessisary if you smoke with high heat but at these high temps your really baking it.  I keep the heat low and smoke it for a long time.  Our local slaughter house/butcher shop makes what they call ham smoked turkeys.  They needle the turkey with ham brine then place them in the cold smoker under the hams for a couple of weeks.  The hams drip on the turkeys.  They are spectacluar!!!

I brine it w/ aprox i gallon water, 4c sugar, 3 c salt, garlic cloves, black peppercorns and bay leaves. No cure. I smoke at a moderate temp and make sure it gets to 160F. Pobably hotter than a true smoking, lower than BBQing is my gu4ess. 20lber takes about 9hrs. Love the sugar maple wood for turkey too. Best yet.

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
rast
Field Bee

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 07:42:46 PM »

My smoking is more like Konasdad's. Somewhere in between smokehouse smoking and baking. I use the same brine recipe for all poultry. The amount of water depends on what it takes to cover the bird(s). 1/2 cup of salt to a gal, 1/2 cup of brown sugar to a gal. Poultry seasoning, garlic and rosemary. I use hickory. I haven't had a dry bird since I started brineing a few years ago. I baste with a butter, vinegar and water solution while cooking.   

Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda
asprince
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 08:02:50 PM »

We love turkey, baked, smoked, or fried, it does not matter. Tomorrow I will be frying. Yummy!

Steve     

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next