Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 27, 2014, 09:15:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bees on the boat  (Read 774 times)
drone1952
New Bee

« on: November 25, 2008, 01:07:34 PM »

Hi,
Sorry bother you with my question but I want your help.
Some years ago ( about 15) I read in beekeeping magazine an article about a beekeeper keeping his bees on the boat. As far I can remember he travel with his boat with hives on a river in France.
Thanks for help.

Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 04:22:44 PM »

Hmmm...that would be interesting!  I'd imagine he couldn't move very far during the day, and only at night, and then at least 3 miles.  The bees would be very confused, and lose a lot of foraging time after he moved.

Rick

Rick
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 10:01:59 PM »

hey drone! Welcome to the forums, by the way!
 I read something just recently about people who do the boat thing but I cant remember where i saw it. Heck of a way to move pollinators though, huh?

your friend,
john

indypartridge
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 06:59:23 AM »

In France, floating bee-hives are very common. One barge contains from sixty to a hundred hives, which are well defended from the inclemency of the weather. Thus the owners float them gently down the stream, while, they gather their honey from the flowers along its banks; a single bee-house yields the proprietor a considerable income.

http://chestofbooks.com/reference/The-Domestic-Encyclopaedia-Vol1/Bee-Hives.html

This is very similar to the beekeepers 4000 years ago in Egypt. The bee hives were placed on barges that would start up the Nile and as the season changed the barges floated downstream, 30 miles at a time, at night so the bees were always in a honey flow area.

http://www.rawhoneybest.com/raw-honey-organic-honey/

EIGHT HUNDRED FLOATING BEEHIVES.CAPT. PERRINE'S CURIOUS EXPERIMENT FOLLOWING THE WILLOW-BLOOM FROM NEW-ORLEANS TO ST. PAUL, AND GATHERING THE HONEY FROM IT

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9D05E6DC143EE63BBC4F52DFB1668383669FDE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next