Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 24, 2014, 12:14:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 21st century Pirates  (Read 3832 times)
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2009, 04:31:05 AM »

Well things have hotted up thats for sure. From what I hear the US ship is a stalemate, although there is a US Destroyer standing off. Must be very unusual for a ship of that nature to have a US crew. Usually its Phillipinos, Indians anyone else.

I do miss GWB. I miss his speeches, I miss that face that always looked like it was about to burst out laughing. He would be an interesting bloke to have a beer with.

I have listened to Obama reading his Memoir. I compare his speeches to it and have concluded that he is a robot. Not a lot of down to earth emotion, more like "I want everything I say to be recorded for prosperity" It sounding manufactured and monotonous.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2009, 10:52:57 AM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090411/ap_on_re_af/piracy

Seafarers official: Pirates hijack US tugboat

NAIROBI, Kenya – The head of a Kenyan seafarers' program said Saturday that Somali pirates had hijacked an American-owned tugboat with 16 crew in the Gulf of Aden.

Nairobi-based Italian Ambassador Pierandrea Magistrati said he only could confirm that "there is a boat that has been hijacked, I believe by Somali pirates."

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
rast
Field Bee

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2009, 05:11:57 PM »

RESCUED! By the United States of America's navy.

Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2009, 08:44:07 PM »

Captain tied up in the bottom of the lifeboat.

Navy SEALs eventually finish fighting over who gets the mission.

Swim swim in water, tap tap on side of boat, idiots get up BOOM BOOM BOOM all over.

Bread and butter for those guys.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2009, 09:40:05 PM »

credit where credit is due.  POTUS gave the go ahead. skipper gave the orders.  SEALs took the shots.  round 1 to the americans.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2009, 08:59:14 AM »

White House is taking credit rolleyes

Keith
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2009, 03:44:40 AM »

Keith

Where else would you put credit for that one? 

Seal teams don't just go out on manuvers without orders... who gave the orders?  Whomever gave the orders is whomever should take the credit.  Though I doubt McCain would've handled it any differently. 
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2009, 03:53:18 AM »

OK, heres what really happened.

I just finished listening to the press conference w/ ADM Gortney about the rescue of Captain Phillips. At the time it happened the USS Bainbridge was towing the lifeboat to calmer waters as the sea state was deteriorating. One of the pirates was on board the Bainbridge as the talks about obtaining Phillip's release continued. The lifeboat was approx. 25 m behind the Bainbridge when snipers on the fantail observed one of the pirates in the pilot house of the lifeboat pointing an AK-47 at the back of a tied up Phillips and the other two pirates on board were visible (at least shoulders and heads). The standing authority gave them clearance to engage the pirates if the life of the captain was in imminent danger. The on scene commander deemed this to be true and gave the order to fire. All three bad guys were taken out and then a rigid inflatable boat went to the lifeboat to retrieve Phillips. It is unknown at this point whether the shooters were SEALs or Marine Scout Snipers as both would have been available. This was not a rescue attempt ordered by National Command Authority i.e. the President. It was a reaction by the on scene commander under standard authority to safeguard the life of a hostage. Blackfive.
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2009, 03:59:22 AM »

OK, heres what really happened.

I just finished listening to the press conference w/ ADM Gortney about the rescue of Captain Phillips. At the time it happened the USS Bainbridge was towing the lifeboat to calmer waters as the sea state was deteriorating. One of the pirates was on board the Bainbridge as the talks about obtaining Phillip's release continued. The lifeboat was approx. 25 m behind the Bainbridge when snipers on the fantail observed one of the pirates in the pilot house of the lifeboat pointing an AK-47 at the back of a tied up Phillips and the other two pirates on board were visible (at least shoulders and heads). The standing authority gave them clearance to engage the pirates if the life of the captain was in imminent danger. The on scene commander deemed this to be true and gave the order to fire. All three bad guys were taken out and then a rigid inflatable boat went to the lifeboat to retrieve Phillips. It is unknown at this point whether the shooters were SEALs or Marine Scout Snipers as both would have been available. This was not a rescue attempt ordered by National Command Authority i.e. the President. It was a reaction by the on scene commander under standard authority to safeguard the life of a hostage. Blackfive.

Ok, so then let's find out who he is and give him credit.  Though certainly all who took part deserve credit. 

I'll take some of that credit back from Obama, but not all... whomever was on scene was on scene for a reason, and putting the right people on scene is good management, though I would have been more impressed if he had actually made the call for a rescue.

In any event, feels good to win one once in a while, doesn't it?
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2009, 03:26:59 PM »

Keith

Where else would you put credit for that one? 

Seal teams don't just go out on manuvers without orders... who gave the orders?  Whomever gave the orders is whomever should take the credit.  Though I doubt McCain would've handled it any differently. 

His teleprompter.

No seriously the grunts on the ground the people who called for the mission anybody but some guy in a press conference a million miles away.

Keith
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next