Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 23, 2014, 09:11:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 21st century Pirates  (Read 3982 times)
mick
Queen Bee

« on: November 19, 2008, 02:33:43 AM »

I dont know if you are aware of it, but these pirates are seriously out of control. A few weeks ago they took over a ship carrying Russian tanks and arms bound for some African joint, dunno where that ones got to. Now theres been more this week, surely an organised group by now whose tactics work.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/pirates-strike-again-17-ships-held/2008/11/19/1226770531523.html

I wanna see em try and board a US flagged vessel.
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 07:34:57 AM »

No doubt they are waiting for Obama to take office first...  grin

They then can do a couple of things....

1)They can have a sit down with Obama, and explain that it really isn't their fault. It was the way they were raised. It's the "man" causing and allowing this to happen. Some of this money may actually go to benefit the world's poor, and even a few Obama relatives. So what's the harm anyways.

2)They can have Bill Ayers be the negotiator. Nothing wrong with a few anarchists or pirates. If it changes the world for the good, then it will be supported. What's a few broken laws anyways?

3)They can show Obama that they were really only picking on the military establishment, and with the recent oil tanker, they were lowering the carbon footprint and only taking from the rich, to give to the poor. Seems something Obama would support. Maybe he will hire them to work the left coast over a bit.

4)Any real tough actions by Obama, would be left to the U.N. to handle. Since some of the members of the security council are somewhat questionable with dictators, terrorists nations, and anti-military and anti-American views, who better to appease the pirates, which is what Obama would want anyways.

5)A new tax will be created. It will cover ransom payments, such items as creating new job creation for pirates, and of course...with any new taxes, a certain amount will go to organizations like ACORN, community organizer groups, and the DNC.

6)You can hear the cries now. See what happens when you have guns in the hands of the public. Another example of why we should ban guns here. Obama will suggest that a goodwill gesture by taking all our guns away from the citizens will send a message to the pirates, and this would be seen as an example of goodwill. Coupled with a super sweet, "pretty-please", I'm sure that the pirates will come to their senses. Many will go on to community organizer positions trained in Chicago, after we allow them all to enter the U.S. on permanent visa's with full citizenship as soon as congress will get voting on the issue.

It's early....so hang on, I'll probably add a few....  grin

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 09:03:25 AM »

and i can't add a thing to that!!   evil

i hope we stay out of it, but we do have ships patrolling as part of the multi-national sea lanes protection force.

i'd like to wait and see what others countries will do to solve things like his.

my choice would be to flatten the place, or at lease flatten the harbors they use.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 10:06:04 AM »

Seems someone is doing something...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081119/wl_nm/us_somalia_piracy

MOGADISHU (Reuters) – An Indian warship destroyed a pirate ship in the Gulf of Aden and gunmen from Somalia seized two more vessels despite a large international naval presence off their lawless country.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 11:44:51 AM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081119/ap_on_re_af/af_pirate_boomtown_1

there is an argument for colonization. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
bassman1977
"King Bee"
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 12:42:20 PM »

I wanna see em try and board a US flagged vessel.

Me too.   grin

I wonder if they wear eye patches, have peg legs, and yell "YAAARRRR!!!!"

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')
1reb
Super Bee

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 06:45:37 PM »

i bet they does
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 06:56:49 PM »

See, everything fits into my first response....  grin

Handicapped with one eyed, one legged, and poor english.....wouldn't surprise me if we wouldn't offer them full immunity and schedule them full speaking engagements at NYU and Colorado state. I'm sure the liberal college system would fall over themselves for these people on their campuses.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 07:02:31 PM »

I saw something just recently with an interview with a pirate captain. He looked Polynesian. Didnt look like a tough character at all...The reporter said that the pirates use small boats with usually some guns and maybe a rocket launcher...The pirate said it was very easy to capture vessels as the sea is such a big area for govt people to cover.

your friend,
john

Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 10:59:30 PM »

We need to re-commission the Mighty-Mo and flatten a few Boomtowns.
A rolling barage of 108mm canons should shake the place up and re-boot a few brains.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Melilem
House Bee

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 12:28:51 PM »

Hmm that boom town article is interesting. No Somali govt? Forgive me for not keeping up with somali politics. Sounds like a potential civil war in the works. As long as they avoid US ships, I am curious to see how this plays out. How do the radical religious factions of Somalia see their fellow countrymen stealing ships from Saudi Arabia? They arent organized, some tribal leader is bound to find it his civic duty to attack one of these boom towns... Im going to make some popcorn. This could get interesting.
Oh on a side note, there are pirates on the way to Cuba. Small time pirates who just rob and shoot you, but they are there.
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 09:10:54 AM »

Ok can someone answer this question?
What does it take for a ship to fly a certain countries flag; must the ship be registered there? I notice apart from our (America) Navy and personal craft very few ships fly an American flag. I say this because I notice all the ships moving up and down the Mississippi River not to mention all the pirated ships originate or fly the flag of a foreign land. The reasons I ask is I saw a post earlier that stated "wait till these pirates board an American ship" but there are very few ships flying an American Flag. What keeps a ship from flying an American flag through this area of the world then changing back once through the danger zone? If in fact the pirates are afraid to board an American ship that is. I guess I am just curious and was thinking that with the wealth of knowledge on the forums someone would be able to answer my questions.

Keith
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 10:05:44 AM »

Does this help?

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeohzt4/Seaflags/customs/law.html#intllaw

The display of national flags on the high seas is regulated by customary international law, articles 90-94 of the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (to which the United States is not a party), and article 5 of the 1958 Geneva Convention on the High Seas, "each State shall fix the conditions for the grant of its nationality to ships, for the registration of ships in its territory, and for the right to fly its flag."  Further, "each State shall issue to ships to which it has granted the right to fly its flag documents to that effect."  Flying a country's flag constitutes a claim by the vessel flying it that it possesses the nationality of the flag (NWP 1-14M, The Commander's Handbook on the Law of Naval Operations), and therefore, as the U.S. District Court for Oregon ruled in the case of The Fideliter in 1869, "it is of importance to all maritime powers that the national character borne by a ship [i.e., in the flag she displays] should be her true character" (8 F.Cas. 1177).  Accordingly, most countries have implemented the obligations in the by explicit legislation.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 10:22:30 AM »

Yes Jerry it does help
It sort of says it is difficult to  register a ship as US and I guess that is why most ships are registered out of the States.

Keith
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 04:01:26 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,479045,00.html

I guess its GOD's way of saying crime doesn't pay evil evil

Keith
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 08:55:11 AM »

Well I heard on the radio an American ship was hijacked this morning wonder what the present leadership will do about it

Keith

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,513183,00.html

The story. plus they have 20 Americans on board
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 10:44:09 AM »

you notice they waited until we had a different prez, and that prez went about the world bowing and apologizing for our existence.

this is probably the first of many bad things to come.  a poke here, a push there......

Alexis de Tocqueville
Little John_NC
House Bee

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 08:25:20 PM »

BjornBee
No doubt they are waiting for Obama to take office first...  grin

you notice they waited until we had a different prez, and that prez went about the world bowing and apologizing for our existence.

Like they was Scared to death of Bush  rolleyes This what Bush did an the problem still there !!! I never heard Obama apologizing for our existence. Please explain who or what he was apologizing for.

http://www.webcitation.org/query?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.contracostatimes.com%2Fnationandworld%2Fci_11090583&date=2008-11-28

In late 2006, the United States and Ethiopia invaded Somalia. Ethiopia supplied the manpower, while the U.S. provided money, weapons, logistics and special forces.The apparent goal of the invasion was the removal from power of the so-called Union of Islamic Courts. The UIC is an Islamist group that, for all of its awfulness, was the closest thing southern Somalia has had to a functioning government since 1991.

Instead of replacing the UIC with something better, the U.S.-Ethiopian forces merely started a civil war.
Ethiopian troops recently began a retreat back across the border. And they're leaving large parts of the country in the hands of Islamists who appear quite a bit nastier than the UIC. Another Bush-sponsored invasion that strengthened the very people we supposedly wanted to weaken. Another Bush mission accomplished.
To help deal with the wreckage, the Pentagon has been forced to assemble an international naval squad to protect merchant ships from Somali pirates. Sea piracy has thrived in Somalia for more than a decade but has gotten much worse in 2008.
In the past decade, there have been six months when Somali pirates weren't harassing merchant ships off its coast. They happen to have been the six months in 2006 when the UIC ruled much of Somalia.

When Bush and Ethiopia overthrew the UIC, the piracy returned.

Little John

"The flags of the Confederate States of America were very important and a matter of great pride to those citizens living in the Confederacy. They are also a matter of great pride for their descendants as part of their heritage and history."
Winston Churchill

Quote from chronicle of  Marcus Lucanus of the Roman civil war: Caesar said :
"Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!
Caesar men cheered :
" Hail Caesar! We who are about to die salute you!
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 08:48:47 PM »

LJ, it's really hard to have a conversation with someone who thinks history started 10 years ago. 

i'll give you this.  i did not think that bush did enough about somalia.  he should have sent a ship or sub in and blow the port away.  however, he chose to go the international way and bought into the notion that floating about making mean faces and wagging our fingers at the pirates would do the trick.  it did not.

i do not think it was an oversight on the part of the pirates to not have tried an american flagged ship before.  they waited for a safe time.  they waited for a president who said there would be serious consequences for n korea shooting off a missile and then ran to the UN for "sanctions" that were not forthcoming.

BC messed up when he ran away from somalia.  much of history since might have been different if he'd had to fortitude to do the right thing.  i think reagan made a mistake when he left beirut after we were bombed.  that's another place that could have been flattened and not missed.

the obama apology tour....or victory lap....apologize for the indian, black, muslim, mistreatment.  for bank failures, unilateralism, arrogance, and make sure that at each turn to say something like "i didn't cause this mess" or "the last administrations...whatever".  top it off with a bow to the saudi king....didn't the left make a big deal about bush and his treatment of the saudis?  and when you are allllll done, you have to show for it nothing from NATO and nothing from the G20.  in fact, you have given over much power to an international body to oversee our financial institutions.

yup....quite a trip!!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 09:08:03 PM by kathyp » Logged

Alexis de Tocqueville
troutstalker2
House Bee

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 10:28:29 PM »

L.J.

Give me a break, something else that's Bush's fault. Piracy in Somalia, quick call the U.N. a resolution is in order. This is not the first time today I have heard that this was Bush's fault. An apologist for the U.S's atrocities around the world beat you to it. Of course this was on N.P.R., That Bastion of objective journalism, so it must be true.
  David
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 07:46:04 AM by troutstalker2 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next