Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Water pump questions for orchard  (Read 520 times)

Online jvalentour

• House Bee
Water pump questions for orchard
« on: May 14, 2015, 02:52:42 PM »
I planted 28 new trees this spring, then comes a dry spell.  Soon to be followed by a July-August dry spell.
I need to water an area approximately 100x40.  I would like to run sprinklers for an hour at each watering.
My water source is about 300 feet from the orchard.
The orchard is about 30 feet up higher than the water source.
The suction is about 10 feet.

Any recommendations for the size of pump I need and retailers with good prices?  So far, my option is a NorthStar High-Pressure Water Pump ? 3in. Ports, 10,550 GPH, 116 PSI, 270cc Honda GX270 Engine  $799.  Not including suction and hoses.
Rejoice!, In thy youth, o young man; for it will leave you like the will of the wisp.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Water pump questions for orchard
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 07:42:42 AM »
In the 70's and 80's I was in water purification with the National Guard. When we encountered a water source with a steep bank we used two pumps. One at the water source and one at the top of the bank. The one at the top of the bank was set at idle speed. It relieved the pressure off of the first pump and worked well for what we did. It may not be practical for your needs but it's a thought.
Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.

Plato

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 09:43:05 AM »
Jay, I held back when you posted this, because it seemed like what you were asking for was way more than what I would recommend. But on second thought, your situation sounds a lot like mine. The distance, the head, the trees. What I would do (if you can get electric down to the water) is put a 2" Tsurumi Trash Pump in the water source, poly hoses up to a poly tank above the trees, then gravity water from there. Easy winter storage and no gas engine upkeep. I've used those pumps for years in construction dewatering, and they are remarkably dependable.

just another thought.

Online jvalentour

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 01:03:51 AM »
GSF,
I have considered using two pumps.  It was the recommendation from the local tool rental.  I will research further.

Maggie,
Do you have a model number on that Tsurumi pump?  I saw one for $861.  My problem is I just have too many irons in the fire to run electric and clear a spot for an up hill reservoir.  I'd like to keep the project cost as low as I can.
Rejoice!, In thy youth, o young man; for it will leave you like the will of the wisp.

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 08:36:09 AM »
This is the style I was speaking of...  http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_21891_21891?utm_source=CSE&utm_medium=Google&utm_campaign=Water%20Pumps%20%3E%20Submersible%20Utility%20Pumps&utm_content=10980&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=10980&gclid=CLvQ-5rZzcUCFc0YHwodmAkATQ

I figured electric availability would be the problem for this idea in your situation. These pumps are tough though, and move a lot of water. I use mine to fill a 400gal poly pickup tank and then gravity irrigate from there. Also I'll run the tank up to my mom's and soak her garden with it.

Online jvalentour

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:06:01 PM »
I wanted to follow up on this topic.
I have been researching methods to water my orchard and found this on youtube,  
I'd like to know if anyone has tried something like this and how good the results were if they did.

anything