Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: anyone raise quail?  (Read 197 times)

Offline Eric Bosworth

• House Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
anyone raise quail?
« on: June 18, 2015, 02:06:40 PM »
I have been thinking about raising quail to release for hunting. I looked into pheasants but the pen I would need would be cost prohibitive. Has anybody here tried it? When Ella was a puppy there was somebody in town that raised them and bought some to release. The following winter the snow took down their pen and they didn't rebuild it.
It was great for dog training.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: anyone raise quail?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 03:35:57 PM »
I raised some pheasants at one time.  I was looking into keep quail for eggs but never did.
Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen

Offline Eric Bosworth

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 09:34:37 PM »
The problem with pheasants is the fly pen... That and birds of pray... Pheasants probably have more natural habitat by you compared to around here. The state uses hunting license fees to stock places around here. Those of us with lifetime licenses will eventually bankrupt the system. That doesn't seem to stop them from raising the prices though. They did back off a bit with out of state license fees. Apparently enough people from PA and VT said they would just hunt at home that they lost money one year.

Offline sawdstmakr

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 10:02:46 PM »
I do but I really don't have any real input. I put out deer feeders, the type that shoot the corn out and spread it out far and wide and quails moved in. They also like to clean up the blue berries from under the bushes at this time of year. They stay here year around and  they were increasing in numbers until the squirrels chewed holes all the way around the edge. That lets the rain get in rots the corn. Since then I do not see as many. I plan on getting a new one next year. We really got it for being able to see the deer.
Jim
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Offline OldMech

• Field Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 01:48:04 AM »
I used to raise and train Springers, and used Pigeons for the training. Easy to keep, easy to catch, easy even to raise if your so inclined.
  I did raise pheasant and quail. gave up on the quail, not enough meat on them, but the pheasant were no issue at all. Bought Viable eggs every year and hatched them in an incubator.  Chicken wire enclosure worked quite well..  I had less than 300 dollars in the whole pen...  of course.. that was...  20 years ago...  or more...   BUT, there is enough meat on a pheasant to make them worth eating!
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline Eric Bosworth

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 09:35:37 PM »
I have to agree about the meat. That is why I no longer shoot woodcock. It's hardly worth the shells. If I have a young dog I might shoot one for training but for one bite I don't see much point in woodcock. I figure quail are individual servings. As long as I get 2 it makes a meal for my wife and me. As long as quail have food they will stick around... Provided predators don't get them. Lots of birds of pray, coyotes, and fisher cats not to mention an occasional bobcat or fox.