Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How to boil a fresh egg - from your yard  (Read 129 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
How to boil a fresh egg - from your yard
« on: July 07, 2016, 08:36:46 AM »
Let's set the record straight - if it came from the grocery store it ain't fresh. The date isn't put on the carton until it leaves the commercial egg farms. That may be a couple of weeks. They don't rot because it's climate controlled and the egg isn't washed until it leaves -so I'm told. Take an egg from the store remove it from the shell without breaking the yolk, do the same with a fresh egg. Now look at the way the yolk sits. A fresh egg's yolk will sit higher and firmer. A lot of folks won't bake with store bought eggs.

I don't know how many are aware of this. The downside to having fresh eggs is the difficulty in peeling the shell off after you boil them. My wife will bring the water to a boil first then put the eggs in. I think she puts it in cold water then bumps it after it's cooled, then she peels. 
Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.

Plato

Offline gww

• House Bee
Re: How to boil a fresh egg - from your yard
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 04:45:03 PM »
gsf
I think if you use your oldest eggs for boiling that they will peel better.  I get enough eggs that I can save some for two weeks or so before boiling them.  I have heard that putting salt and also a small amount of cooking oil while boiling will help.  I never worry about that though.  If I have older eggs I will try to use them.  If not I just waste some.  We also put from hot to cold water before peeling.
gww

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 12:05:46 PM »
I use some salt and two tablespoons of white vinegar. Get the water to a boil, take the eggs from the refrigerator and lower them gently into the water. cook for 11 minutes then put in an ice bath.
The eggs usually peel easily and have no dark ring around the yoke.
If you go on the internet there are many other ways to hard cook an egg.
Do you know why a chief's hat has 101 pleats in it?  . . . . To remind the chief there is 101 ways to cook an egg.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline Jim 134

• Super Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 05:30:14 PM »
If you would like an easy way to peel eggs that are cooked in the shells. You can steam fresh eggs and they will peel easy.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/