Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 21, 2014, 07:18:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Absinthe!  (Read 4611 times)
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« on: November 11, 2008, 06:04:54 PM »

This is the "Infamous" bottle of Absinthe that has made my homestead famous!
 This is TRUE absinthe.....True absinthe is only legal now in Checkoslovakia and Spain...This bottle has the ingredient "Wormwood"(thujone)......I had 3 bottles but the other 2 werent so elaborate.
<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From absinthe bottle</td></tr></table>

Cool bottle, huh?..Its still half full too!

your friend,
john

Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 07:48:00 PM »

The funny thing is that wormwood is Artemisia, which is plain old sage out here in the west...

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 08:17:09 PM »

Thats something, Micheal!
 Also, Chernobyl is the Russian word for Wormwood....You know, the Nuclear plant in Russia from years back that broke and poisoned all the land?
 And then, the biblical prophecy of the lands and rivers being poisoned as if by wormwood?
I'm not good at bible quotes, but it is there...maybe Revelations...Maybe Isaiah...I just dont remember.....Sorry Jerrymac, cuz I know you'll be wanting to know where to look Smiley

your friend,
john

1frozenhillbilly
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 08:49:31 PM »

your reference to the star that fell from heaven which is called wormwood= rev 8:11
I was once offered absinthe,  but as i had to drive home that night i passed,  a coworker there lost his car that night,when we found it 3 days later he had slid into a curb hard enough to fold both tires on the passenger side over and crack the frame,  kinda glad i passed

vegetarian???  isnt green stuff for growing meat?
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 08:52:07 PM »

Yep, Hillbilly.....Sounds like the "Stuff" alright!

your friend,
john

Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 01:21:28 AM »

Absinthe is sometimes called the Milk Wine because when you mix it with water it turns milky white.  Had some a time or 2 while in Turkey back in the Late 60's. Tastes kind of like licorice.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 02:41:35 AM »

Absinthe, wormwood, thurjone, thats the real deal. All those great composers and writers from the 16 and 17 hundreds were of their trolley on the stuff. Banned here of course, like everything else is.

Id love to try the real thing one day!
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 08:13:04 AM »

John,
 my bottle didn't look that good. The one we were drinking out of had a picture of a lunatic looking green guy with wild hair, a green bottle. your bottle is much cooler

Keith
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 06:28:32 PM »

Hey Keith, can you cut and paste that PM i sent you about the mead here in the forum? I cant find the stuff that I send, only the stuff that i get.
Reeegs was asking me about it in another forum..I'll send her over here!
 (makes me wanna puke just thinking about it!) tongue

your friend,
john

johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 08:39:29 PM »

Thanks Keith!
heres a little something I know about absinthe, from a PM keith13 was kind enough to find for me that I had sent him earlier:

I saw your post on absinthe. When I was over in Germany this summer we drank a good bit of it. They had a way of preparing it with sugar I think. For the life of me I cannot remember how they did it( probably from the amount we drank of it), how do you prepare it? do you use a spoonful of sugar?

Thanks,
Keith

ROFL!!!!
 Hey Keith, are you SURE you wanna know how to do this??
 Just kidding!
 By the way, did you get the REAL Absinthe? The kind with wormwood in it?
 Absinthe is only legal in Spain and Checkoslovakia. I ordered mine over the internet about 7 or eight years ago.
 Oh....wormwood.......Its a halucinogenic. When I drink it( which I dont think I ever will again!) I see yellow!..Like looking through yellow sunglasses!.........And then after the fun......I puke my guts out!!....Its GREAT STUFF!!
 Type in your search, "Martin Sebor absinthe"...Thats where i got mine...Back then it was about 65 to100$ a bottle which includede shipping..I cant remember for sure though....I know a few months af I ordeded it I got a letter stating that they had a special going on for about 50$ a bottle!
 I need to post a pic of the bottle...its the coolest bottle you'll have ever seen!
  Ok,......you pour the absinthe in a glasss, about a shot or 2......Now, find a tea strainer...Theres actually a special spoon thats made just for this, but I bet you dont have one...neither do I.....The spoon has small slots in it for water to go through slower than the tea strainer......Now, get some sugar cubes.( Actually, I think powdered sugar, if you knew a way to lump it would be a good idea, but I used sugar cubes)...Put these in the strainer, and trickle water over the sugar cubes , into the absinthe...Do this slowly as the sugar is supposed to dissolve, and when I did it, it didnt seeem to dissolve very well...maybe hot water is better...Thats why I mentioned powdered sugar clumps..........Ok....( By the way, the tea strainer might rest on the lip of the glass youre using).....When the water hits the absinthe, the absinthe will turn a milky green ( people always compare this with the way Uzo turns milky when adding water).
 Ok,......Heh heh heh.....Here comes the exciting part......to "lite" or not to "lite"......... :-........
 Absinthe is usually 65 percent alcohol,( about 130 proof).....so, if you want to( go ahead and move the strainer)......you can LITE it!! But it does burn off some of the alcohol...I lit it before but couldnt see the flame out in the daylite...I've seen on TV where it burns like alcohol (blueish) in a dark room.
 Ok,.....here we are......time to taste it.......
 This is where i always wish for more sugar.......
 Take a sip.......think it over.......And decide whether youre gonna sip it or "Slam" it. Ive done both. Smiley
 Absinthe has been made with tons of herbs and spices in it to mask the taste of wormwood...The actual hallucinogenic compound is "Thujone"...You can google that too!
 Well,....There you have it!
 In my opinion, this stuff tastes so bad that I wouldnt even waste my money buying it in the liquor store...Spend the money, get it from Checkoslovakia.......The liquor store will tell you that his product is authentic, but just trust me...I'm telling you the truth...Its not the REAL thing..Remember, the notoriety from Absinthe comes from Thujone...This ingredient ,  is NOT an ingredient in in the new Absinthe from the store.
 Also, while you contemplating this,......
 Google "The Green Fairy".....theres storys of peoples adventures of drinking this stuf!..Very entertaining!!!

Ok...Good luck, and let me know if and when you do this!

your friend,
john

reeegs22
New Bee

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 09:32:44 AM »

Keith,
John is absolutely right in the process of drinking this stuff and to me it does taste HORRIBLE!!!  I brought a bottle back a few years ago from Germany that was imported from Czech.  It cost me about 75 dollars then.  When I got it home I did the sugar/water process, which took forever.  Then we got sick of that and just started doing straight shots of it.  My sister and dad brought me back another bottle from France and I have not opened that yet.  I guess the reason I have not is because none of my friends will drink it with me and I think that that is half the fun!

smiley Mary
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 09:42:26 AM »

John, cool bottle! Don't understand why an adult would want to drink this stuff.

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 06:19:25 PM »

Huh???...Adult?Huh.I dont think I'll ever become an adult...I'll get old and die eventually but I wont become an adult!..Janelle knows...She always reminding me how immature I always am!
your friend,
john

JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 07:55:13 PM »

Huh???...Adult?Huh.I dont think I'll ever become an adult...I'll get old and die eventually but I wont become an adult!..Janelle knows...She always reminding me how immature I always am!
your friend,
john

I can understand to a point getting a buzz on but this stuff apparently makes you hallucinate, why would you want to do that?

...JP

and

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 08:31:15 PM »

I got a recipe for it, green juice  Wink , think I got a recipe for most anything you can drink and some you can't  grin

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 YEARS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 08:36:24 PM »

When I started thinking absinthe, The first thing that came to mind was that i would have to make it....Which I DID!
 It was AWFUL!!
 Thats when I decided I wouldnt give up yet...And I then found it on the internet.
 They were both awful but the stuff i bought was at least the most beautiful green liquid I have ever seen!

Jp,.....Uhhhhh......Because "Its my nature"?...... Smiley

your friend,
john

reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 09:46:10 PM »

The funny thing is that wormwood is Artemisia, which is plain old sage out here in the west...

Again, the problem with common names.  I have no idea what is 'plain old sage' as named out west, there are literally hundreds if not thousands of varieties of 'sage' (Lamiaceae family).  Absinthe is derived from a very specific artemesia, Artemesia absinthium, which is not native here, but comes from temperate regions of Europe, Asia and North Africa.  I'm sure it has escaped here (many old-world herbs are our weeds now) but it isn't native to America.

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 09:58:23 PM »

When I started thinking absinthe, The first thing that came to mind was that i would have to make it....Which I DID!
 It was AWFUL!!
 Thats when I decided I wouldnt give up yet...And I then found it on the internet.
 They were both awful but the stuff i bought was at least the most beautiful green liquid I have ever seen!

Jp,.....Uhhhhh......Because "Its my nature"?...... Smiley

your friend,
john

Ok John, I bet you could tell us stories about peyote right?

...JP

and

reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 09:47:47 AM »

...JP

Whaddya wanna know?  Wink

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 09:49:58 AM »

...JP
Whaddya wanna know?  Wink

Oh Ann.......smiling,  shocked Lips Sealed Wink Smiley Smiley Smiley  And how many years have gone by... have a most wonderful and awesome day, love and live life, Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next