Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 25, 2014, 07:08:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I gotta be honest here...Mead.  (Read 3003 times)
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« on: November 08, 2008, 11:30:21 PM »

Ok,...I just finished another bee book from the library but dont recollect the title off hand. Anyways, there was a section about making mead..The author made me face reality about mead...She stated that the making of mead was pretty much finished off after people started making wine. She stated that she couldnt understand why people continue to make a big deal out of making mead other than the historical aspect, She continued on, saying that she has never tasted mead before that was worth writing home about.
Now,...thinking it over.....I've made 3 batches and all three tasted GREAT!!!
.................NOTTTT!!!!!!.....
 The fact of the matter, in all honestly............Its LOUSY!!!
 I liked it because I made it, not because it tasted good! I made it plain,...I made it Bubbly..I even made it PINK!!....But it NEVER tasted like the "Nectar of the gods".
With the alcohol content though, it tasted like rocket fuel! It will send me off like a rocket too!
 I more than likely WILL continue to make mead...Just because I can! Not everybody can do it, even though its relatively easy to make!...When, and if, I make some that taste good, I'll let you know....But, I'll warn you now.....I probably wont remember the recipe as I just pretty much throw the stuff together!!

ALERT!! ALERT!!! ALERT!!!
 Janelles sitting right behind me, and i just told her what i wrote.....GuESSS WHAT?Huh
 She just informed me that the bottle of mead i gave my sister,....wellll.......My sister POURED IT DOWN THE DRAIN!!!....And She told me she liked it!!!!
 Janelle said she wasnt supposed to tell me, but I guess after me writing the truth about mead, she felt obligated to tell the truth as to what my sister did!!!
 Isnt this a TRIP???
 Janelle just told me she really informed me of my sisters actions just so i wouldnt give her another bottle!!!
 Well,.....there ya go..Uh oh,.......Janelle just said"Maybe you should just give her 3 or 4 bottles for Christmas...and just sit back and watch!"
 Janelle just said that Dianne, my sister actually said,"Its the most horrible stuff I've ever drank!"
 Funny,........"The Truth Will Set You Free" , huh?.............or CRAZY!!!

Now,.....My conscience is clear...I have no more secrets I'm hldling back from you guys!

your friend,
john

BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 07:25:39 AM »

Mead for many is very hard to do and get to a point that its comparable to the many wines they have tasted. What I'm saying is, that straight mead, without any flavoring, can be much of a disappointment. I've made it straight, both sweet and dry. I'm not impressed.

But, like wines, that many favor, add some of this or that, and many better meads are made.

My favorite is a recipe from Ken Schramm's book " The compleat Meadmaker". It is called "fall bounty harvest".

Many think mead should be made with just honey, and something terrific will pop out. Honey is just the base many times for the process, (yes, different honey will add to the mead) but it's the other things you add to the primary or secondary fermentor that makes the mead, a great thing.

As for the strength, it can get strong. And it may take at least a year to age. My last batch I kept in the carboys for a year before bottling. If your drinking it two months after making it, you are cheating yourself.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 06:12:17 PM »

I think, for me, I like the taste best when its still fizzy and not fermented all the way...It still has the honey taste and other spice taste at this point.
your friend,
john

BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 07:03:20 PM »

I don't even drink it...... grin I never did like wine.

Except there was that period when a case of Boone's farm strawberry wine, that I think was about $1.50 a bottle, was used for some parties, a long time ago.  shocked We used to go four wheeling up the power lines with a case and the girls...... evil

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 09:02:18 PM »

Except there was that period when a case of Boone's farm strawberry wine, that I think was about $1.50 a bottle, was used for some parties, a long time ago.  shocked We used to go four wheeling up the power lines with a case and the girls...... evil
[/quote]
Hmmmm...WE did that too! The guys would buy the wine, try & get us drunk..pass out & we would drive their jeeps!!  BWAAAHAHA..the things boys will do for pretty girls! evil evil rolleyes  Hey, did you live in WA? evil Kiss  J

I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 09:29:30 PM »

poka,
Ahhh, the good ol' days.

I remember the times when getting busted for drinking and driving as a teen meant having your buddies ask you about getting busted, and was replied with "Yeah, and the worst part, was I still had 4 cans of beer unopened. They made me pour them out along the road!, (before they sent me on my way!")  grin  I was from a small town...  Wink

I once actually got pulled over in front of my house and had my parents watch from the porch as I had to pour the beer out.  Cry

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 10:37:44 PM »

i smelled some.  that was enough to make me not want to waste my good honey making any.  i'll wait until the end of the world and absolute desperation before i try that!!!!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 11:03:42 PM »

I was a police officer back in the days when we could still dispense Curbside Justice.  CJ was making the kids pour the beer down the drain when caught drinking, sweep up all the broken bottles on the Main street when caught litering, and walk 2 miles home at night to tell their Dad he could get his car keys from the Police when they were stopped for stupid driving.

We had a lot less juvenile crime in the days of CJ.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 06:57:24 AM »

poka,
Ahhh, the good ol' days.

I remember the times when getting busted for drinking and driving as a teen meant having your buddies ask you about getting busted, and was replied with "Yeah, and the worst part, was I still had 4 cans of beer unopened. They made me pour them out along the road!, (before they sent me on my way!")  grin  I was from a small town...  Wink

I once actually got pulled over in front of my house and had my parents watch from the porch as I had to pour the beer out.  Cry
They made you pour it out?  They just took our beer - gee, I wonder what they did with it?  rolleyes  evil

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 09:06:43 AM »

John, oh yes, the truth will set ya free.  I haven't made mead yet, but I know that there are some pretty interesting recipes.  I think one that had strawberry/rhubarb caught my attention.  When we had our friends get married at our place (a wicken wedding), she had brewed gallons of mead readying for this event.  What a wedding!!!  You may recall me speaking of it in a thread a long time ago.  We have a beautiful and enormous yard that has had many weddings here over the years.  Ooops, going off topic here, sorry John.  Anyways, this witchy woman brewed some very good tasting mead, I loved it, and revelled when the goblet was passed around the circle.  We drank that night away, I still have some of that mead. It was made with wildflower honey, it is still good.  I don't think that she made it with anything but the honey and of course the other additives that are necessary for any kind of fermentation.  So, I don't know.  I think that mead can be very good tasting.  Have a wonderful and most awesome day and life, great health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 04:24:06 PM »

Even the bad stuff tastes good.  Sure, it takes 4 or 5 glasses of it before the flavor starts really coming out. rolleyes

Rick
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 04:27:29 PM »

Scads,
Yeah, right. That same concept with women left me with one less arm.... grin

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 07:19:56 PM »

Yeh, Boone s Farm!!!
 I used to save my lunch money for this special treat on weekends...We used to wait for airmen that were going in the store to but it for us!
 98 cents a bottle...$1.03 with tax grin
 The GI's never did take off with our money and rip us off!
 Those REALLY WERE the days!
your friend,
john

1frozenhillbilly
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 09:03:55 PM »

i have made quite a few batches of mead and have usually had good results,  my few bad results have been really bad so sometimes its a dice roll,  but it doesnt hurt to keep trying, and ask around there are local home brew groups in a lot of places and most of them have a mead maker and a wine maker that the others point out if you have questions about em.

vegetarian???  isnt green stuff for growing meat?
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 03:33:09 PM »

Nectar of the Gods, probably does not refer to its tatse, but the connection bees had w/ the gods is my guess. Bees were considered to have a uniques connection to the gods, as they lives within the earth and were able to communicate w/ the gods.

Mead tatse better after long aging periods.

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 05:17:18 PM »

Mead tatse better after long aging periods.
This is exactly what we learned at the seminar we went to at the Common Ground Fair.  They told us that mead should be taken out of the bottling tank (off the sediment at the bottom)  a minimum of four times before you bottle it, and even then let it sit for two years  shocked  before you drink it.  I've actually had well-aged mead and it wasn't bad at all - had quite a kick to it, but it wasn't at all harsh.

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 07:49:14 PM »

When I started making mead, I read somewhere that, mead, unlike wine, doesnt get better with age. It stated that after 6 months, the mead wouldnt get any better...Maybe I need to open another bottle and try it again, huh?
 Heres a picture of some of my mead(top shelf in pic). I have 2 more cases out in my lure factory collecting dust too!
your friend,
john
<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From mead bottles</td></tr></table>

Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 08:56:10 AM »

Yeah, it all gets better with age.  I had a nasty apple cyser I made (that is what I called it, "nasty apple") that actually became drinkable after a year.

My first mead I made quite sweet because it was quite strong.  It was pretty good starting out because of the sweetness, but the age calmed down the "kick", and now the sweetness is overbearing.

I had one batch that started out bad that I threw away, but I made sure to bottle a few bottles of it just to see what happens.

Rick

Rick
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2008, 02:29:38 PM »

I have been making beer, wine and mead for many years.  My early attemps my wife told me tasted like hot earwax.  Not sure how she know what earwax tases like.  The biggest thing about making a good mead is getting it off the sediment, keeping the carboy full to the neck and forget about it.  Most people dont like it to dry so heres a recipe to try.   http://www.moremead.com/mead_logs/Ancient_OCC.html
Its very sweet!!!   The biggest thing is to forget about it!!!!   I never try it until it over a year old and it does get better with age. 
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2008, 04:35:44 PM »

has anyone attempted using orange blossom honey?

Danno- do you really use bread yeast? or do you substitute a real wine yeast?

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next