Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 23, 2014, 03:33:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: day light saving time end  (Read 1451 times)
1reb
Super Bee

« on: November 01, 2008, 08:28:21 PM »

Don't forget to set your clock back an 1 hour tonight

Johnny
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 08:53:21 PM »

Yea, back to the real time.  I don't much care for DST.

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 09:52:44 PM »

I guess I can get up to use the bathroom at 2 am. twice tonight!  grin

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 09:59:58 PM »

It all seems so stupid to me to continue to do this. I wish they (whoever they is) would stop it.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 10:29:50 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20081031/sc_livescience/daylightsavingtimewhydidwedoit

Daylight Saving Time: Why Did We Do It?
Andrea Thompson
Senior Writer
LiveScience.com andrea Thompson
senior Writer
livescience.com Fri Oct 31, 2:33 pm ET
At 2:00 a.m. local on Sunday, most of the United States (except Hawaii and Arizona) will leave daylight saving time behind and fall back an hour to standard time.

The annoyance of resetting clocks (or forgetting to, and showing up an hour early for appointments on Sunday) may raise the question of why we bother with this rigmarole in the first place.

Daylight saving time is most often associated with the oh-so-sweet extra hour of sleep in fall (and the not-so-nice loss of an hour in spring), but some of the original reasons for resetting our clocks twice a year including saving energy and having more daylight hours for retailers, sporting events and other activities that benefit from a longer day.

As far back as the 1700s, people recognized the potential to save energy by jumping clocks ahead one hour in the summer - Benjamin Franklin even wrote about it - although the idea was not put into practice until the 20th century.

During both World Wars, the United States and Great Britain began observing daylight saving time.

After the war, U.S. states were free to choose whether to observe daylight saving time and the calendar start dates of the time change. The result was time confusion for travelers and newscasters. In 1966, Congress enacted the Uniform Time Act, which stated that if any state observed daylight saving, it had to follow a uniform protocol, beginning and ending on the same dates throughout the country.

Starting in 2007, the Energy Policy Act of 2005 lengthened daylight saving time by four weeks, starting it three weeks earlier in spring and ending it one week later in fall. Daylight saving now begins on the second Sunday in March and ends on the first Sunday of November.

Formerly it began on the first Sunday of April and ended on the last Sunday of October, so that extra week gives trick-or-treaters a precious extra hour of candy-gathering before sunset.

But not everyone is wild about daylight saving time, with some states opting out all together and others proposing to do so.

Hawaii has never observed daylight saving time, as its tropical latitude means its daylight hours stay fairly constant year-round. Arizona likewise has not observed daylight saving time since 1967 because the extra daylight in the summer would just mean more energy consumption to keep the desert state's residents cool.

Many Alaskans would like to stop observing daylight saving time because the change in daylight from summer to winter is already so extreme at their northerly latitude. A petition has even been set before the state this year to abolish the observance of daylight saving time in Alaska.

Florida too finds daylight saving time less useful because of it's southerly latitude. In 2008, a Florida state senator introduced a bill to abolish the practice in Florida.

From 1970 to 2006, most of Indiana didn't observe daylights time, but began to do so in April 2006 after eight counties in the western portion of the state switched from the Eastern to the Central Time Zone.

None of the U.S. territories, including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, observe daylight saving time.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 09:29:35 AM »

I love how people think they're getting 'more daylight'.  Yea, I suppose they do, if they sleep til 9 or 10 every morning  rolleyes  Those of us who get up early appreciate the morning light - when, after all, it's supposed to be morning!  And night, I hate to tell them, means there's no sun - it goes down after all, whether we've got the clocks set an hour, two or ten ahead.  I want longer mornings, not shorter nights.  Leave the clocks alone!

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
asprince
Super Bee

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 09:38:50 AM »

Due to the fact that I live in a world that operates by the clock and not he sun, I love DST.

Changing a few clocks is not a problem.

Steve

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 10:29:08 AM »

DST.  Oh brother.  It means that I have more light in the morning, I am with Ann on that, I am a morning person, so I like that, but it keeps still getting darker in the mornings up until the Winter Solstice, so... the night comes earlier, which is good for me, actually.  I can put my birds to bed before I cook supper.  And then I have the whole evening to do, well, what?  Guess I just need to get on the internet more.  The only thing on TV I like is House and 24.  That would be two hours a week.  We all have our pros and cons of DST.  Enjoy this wonderful and awesome day, Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 01:13:57 PM »

DST sucks!!!

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next