Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 20, 2014, 03:27:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Beekeeper's Pupil  (Read 624 times)
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« on: October 31, 2008, 10:43:29 AM »

I just finished reading this and although I'm not a big reader of fictional books,  I enjoyed it.  It is an attempt to recreate the personal journal of Francis Burnens,  who was Francis Huber's man servant.   Mr Burnens executed, observed, and documented the beekeeping experiments for Huber's(who was blind) New Observations on Bee(which I think is a must read).   Although it didn't get into the details as New Observations,  it had just enough beekeeping to keep my interest.  It also shed some light on some of the non-beekeeping aspects mentioned in New Observations,  like more details of the other Naturalists, and common beekeeping practices of the day.   It was really interesting to see how they struggled to scientifically prove some of the things about bees that we just take for fact these days.

The one draw back was that it didn't talk about Huber's book or leaf hive.  I did talk about glass observation hives and some of the struggles then had with them.

I would recommend it for anyone interested in the early days of beekeeping and especially those that have read New Observations.   And yes there is even a love story involved rolleyes

http://www.amazon.com/Beekeepers-Pupil-Sara-George/dp/0747270414/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1225408257&sr=8-1

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next