Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 26, 2014, 07:21:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sometimes I just burst with pride and you will too after you hear this!  (Read 738 times)
mick
Queen Bee

« on: October 23, 2008, 04:28:37 AM »

DESPITE being shot twice during an ambush in Afghanistan, an SAS soldier lashed himself to the front of his patrol vehicle so he wouldn't be left behind if he passed out from loss of blood and kept on fighting.

The Digger is expected to be recommended for a high level bravery award.

Suffering from serious upper body wounds, the soldier struggled on to the front of his SAS long range patrol vehicle (LRPV) and, under heavy fire, used a rope to attach himself firmly between the vehicle's bull bar and radiator.

Once he was secured, and there was no chance that he would fall off if he fainted, he picked up his rifle and resumed firing at the enemy during a two-hour fighting withdrawal.

SAS troops and their special forces comrades from the Commando Regiment are well aware of the slow and painful death that awaits them if they are captured by the Taliban.

The Digger, who cannot be identified, faded in and out of consciousness, emptying several magazines as volleys of enemy rounds and rocket propelled grenades, rained down around him.

He was finally evacuated from the battle field at high speed still lashed to the front of the LRPV.

Talk about a Warrior, we may have our first Victoria Cross winner since Vietnam war and the first of the "VC for Australia".

The VC is like your CMOH.

Victoria Cross for Australia

The Victoria Cross (VC) was originally instituted in 1856 as a decoration to recognise gallantry in action by all ranks of the services. The VC was awarded to Australians under the Imperial system of awards, with 96 Australians receiving the award.  It was decided to retain the VC as the pre-eminent gallantry award in the Australian system.  The Victoria Cross for Australia was approved on 15 January 1991.

The VC is awarded for the most conspicuous gallantry, or a daring or pre-eminent act of valour or self-sacrifice, or extreme devotion to duty in the face of the enemy.  No awards have yet been made of the VC for Australia.

Now if strapping your wounded body to the front of a 4x4, and fighting like Audie Murphy until you passed out, reloading, fighting, passing out aint a "pre-eminent act of valour or self-sacrifice, or extreme devotion to duty in the face of the enemy" I give up!

Im so proud!
pdmattox
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 09:25:25 AM »

Wow what a great thing that guy did,He would get my vote for this heroic action. I am glad that Australia is a ally. Wink

Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 09:52:38 AM »

Its a crying shame I have to read about this on the beemasterforums and not in the newspaper. I guess it wasn't newsworthy enough over here
What a courageous soldier

Keith
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 03:23:16 AM »

Yes its a bit sad that our Government, for operational security reasons, deems almost all actions involving the SAS as hush hush.

This is the type of vehicle that he strapped himself to.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next