Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 27, 2014, 06:34:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Frozen Drawn Comb  (Read 612 times)
utahbeekeeper
House Bee

« on: October 19, 2008, 11:45:14 PM »

So I have room to freeze 54 medium frames of drawn comb at a time.   I have had 36 frames in freezer since the August harvest, with the last 6 supers just extracted yesterday.  To make room to freeze these freshly extracted frames, can I now put the frozen ones  back in the supers, wrap in plastic and store for the winter?  Soon it will be freezing every night in these parts and I was thinking that I did not have to keep the frames in freezer until April.  Thanks!

James

Pleasant words are like an honeycomb, sweet to the soul and health to the bones.  Prov 16:24
steve
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 07:02:18 AM »

Yep James, that will work.......just make sure that you install the supers in the "garbage bags" as quickly as possable so that the frozen frames do not have a chance to collect moisture ..........excessive moisture well cause mildue to form on the frames...not pleasant when you open the bag in the spring. The other option is to allow the frames to thaw and dry in a dry place (your house) for a day or so then install in bags..........
                                                                                                                        good luck,
                                                                                                                                  Steve
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 07:36:28 AM »

I'd put them out after there is a hard freeze to kill the wax moths outside.  Otherwise I'd put them on the hives to clean them up and protect them.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next