Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 28, 2014, 11:35:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 16 INCHES of SNOW and more  (Read 3778 times)
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« on: January 23, 2005, 09:20:16 AM »

Just getting up and it's still snowing - we have 16 on the ground with 6 foot drifts as 30-50mph winds blow it around. I'm off to work today too at 3pm, releacing a guy who has been there since 7am yesterday morning.

The Naval Base has restricted access during snow emergency (our term I suppose for anything over 10 inches) and I'm eccential personnel. The thing that prevents us from getting to work is always the ighway and local road access, which are usually closed to ALL BUT PLOW and EMERGENCY TRAFFIC during the first hours of the storm.

So tonight, Beemaster will be making rounds to 42 buildings, inspecting 48 boilers and doing it twice while drudging around in 12 foot snow drifts between huge (literally 800ft long hangars) laterally placed to take the 40mph winds that go in and magnify them to nearly 100mph coming out.

So, we have special rules which apply: they are called the Federal Aviation Standard of Hangar Access and Manuverability. the FASHAM is a charting system we use to judge windchill and windspeeds around and between hangars - literally you can take 10F temps and drop them to nearly -100F at the right place and conditions, instantly causing deadly conditions.

So I'll miss you all - lol and hope to post after my near death experiences today. Lucky for me I've had (and will swear in court) that I've had many Out of Body Experiences - so Near Death is supposedly very much the same, so I'm ready for anything - but... I want 14 layers of every piece of clothing ESPECIALLY my JAMMIES, cause if I'm gonna freezr to death tonight, I want to go in my Pajamas  shocked

All kidding aside, it's a mess out there. Tracey (AKA Ladybee) is the owner of an ALL WHEEL DRIVE CAR - a Suburu Outback Impreza which I will be taking to work today - I'm sure my big Mecury Grand Marquis would be useless in this snow, with it's rear wheel drive.

All you folks here in the East - becareful and drive sanely, it might be me that you bump into and I promise to respect the roads back Smiley

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations page link for more details. Please help if you can.
BigRog
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 10:36:24 AM »

We got ice lots of ice.
And down here they have no idea what to do.
The super market is void of bread and milk, people panic.
The temps will be back in the high 30s tomorrow and in the 40s tues.

"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"
amymcg
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 11:13:50 AM »

At my house we have 2 feet and still falling. Drifts are also 3--6 feet.  I'm not going anywhere today, just assembling some frames and doing laundry.
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 12:26:39 PM »

Amy:

I see the storm creeping your way and even stalling - good luck with it. I have a more accurate reading here of 14 inches - which I just took after doing the sidewalks. Luckily, the motorhome takes up the entire driveway, so there is NOTHING there to shovel.

Of course, I have a lot of walking to do at work tonight, the boiler rooms I maintain on my Navy Base are usually far away from the driveways at the buildings. I'll be whooped tonight.

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations page link for more details. Please help if you can.
Kris^
Field Bee

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 02:00:06 PM »

Only about 12 inches here, but lots of wind and drifting.  Somehow, it seems the drift settled right in front of the hive:

However, if we're ever in danger of going snow crazy, we just hop into the greenhouse for a breath of spring . . .

Nearly 60 degrees (to melt the snow from the top) and the aroma of pansies everywhere . . . look at the snow piled up along the sides!

-- Kris
buzz
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2005, 03:12:43 PM »

That sure is different than here. For the past week we've had temperatures around 50 degrees. No snow and it feels like summer cheesy
Anyways, good luck to you!!

Scott
----------
"If you have no money and you have few possessions, if you have a dog you are still rich"
----------
"Forgiveness is easier to get than permission"
Beth Kirkley
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2005, 07:05:31 PM »

It was 75 degrees last night when I went out to have coffee with my father-in-law at 9 pm. No joking!! It was beautiful out! But by the time we left the resturant, it was getting windy and cold. It blew like crazy last night, and got pretty cold at some point. By 8 am it had warmed up to around 30 or 40. The sun was warm enough though that the half cup of coffee in my car wasn't even frozen anymore.

Beth

Jay
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2005, 01:16:51 AM »

Here's what it looks like at my house today! I think the official number was 27 inches but I'll bet it topped 30!  shocked  This is my wifes minivan, and my almost 9 yo son poseing for the pictures! Cheesy

By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson
eivindm
Global Moderator
Field Bee

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2005, 12:00:01 PM »

Just read in the newspaper that at the place where my uncle lives (5-6 hours away from here), they got 4 feet with
snow this weekend.  Guess he had some work to do removing all the snow smiley
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2005, 12:34:28 PM »

I did my 8 hours last night working in the snow, walking about 2.5 miles total in it, mostly drifts about 5ft high between all the huge airplane hangars. All in all it wasn't too bad until the winds really kicked in around 8pm and then the plowed roads just disappeared and you had to just aim your vehicle in the right direction and cross your fingers - lol.

Surprizingly, the new contractor that plows the roads did a good job at handling the drifts and open raods quite well. The toughest part was that the snow was VERY dry which makes it very very tough to contain.

I can't image 5ft of actual snow over the weekend - except to say that the world seems to STOP when massive snow is dumped onto it. And for a while, if only for a few hours, we all seem to sit back at nature's power in awe.

Back to work again tonight, then 2 days off Smiley I like the 2 days off part a lot though, that should be the best part of my week. After that, 8 day watches in a row and that is a long haul that I'm not looking forward to at all. But it pays the bills and buys the neat toys that Beemaster loves so well Smiley

amymcg
House Bee

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2005, 06:01:48 PM »

Well we ended up with 33 inches, and alot of drifting.  I almost got lost in my back yard. grin The dog is getting too tired of doing the dolphin move to get through the snow, and is now sticking to channels.
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2005, 07:46:41 PM »

Amy:

I remember a year ago our cat Patches (all 27 pounds of him) for some reason (which I cannot remember now) ran out the front door, something he has never EVER thought of doing - both him and his sibling Tuxie were abandoned by their mother and we coaxed them slowly into our lives.

From the time he was a kitten he never went out, never even went in the general direction of an open door - neither would Tuxie. But this day, he ran outside into about 2 foot of snow, the only thing he could see were pathes I had shoveled - well... He made this ROARING noise which we never heard before in the two years we had him, normally Patch had this little sissy meow/meep kinda noise.

We went out the door after him, he was totally awestruck by the parrellel walls of snow and nothing else but sky. He saw my wife and ran toward her, slipping and sliding and ROARING all the way, literally trying to jump into her arms.

Whenever I think of snow, I always think of the time we heard Patches ROAR like a BEAST... an UNEARTHLY sound that no creature on Earth has made before - lol

1frozenhillbilly
House Bee

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2005, 02:28:05 PM »

weve had near 0 deg(F)  temps most of the winter and relatively little snow this year ,  good luck guy's

vegetarian???  isnt green stuff for growing meat?
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2005, 02:31:49 PM »

I love went "WE" get 40 THOUSAND TIMES more snow than Anchorage, Alaska - ugh.

Horns Pure Honey
House Bee

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2005, 02:35:46 PM »

we got 5 inches and it is still comming, lol, nothing compared to what you guys are getting.

Ryan Horn
1frozenhillbilly
House Bee

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2005, 03:30:10 AM »

sorry john,  do you want to join alaskans for global warming we'd like to see less of this -10 stuff   Cool

vegetarian???  isnt green stuff for growing meat?
Archie
House Bee

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2005, 07:53:51 AM »

good morning,

after reading about all the snow you all have, I just have to put my two cents in.  I live in the south west corner of Vermont.  all of the big storms have either gone to the south of us or north to Canada.  There is probably 8 inches total in my yard.   this is total snow fall for this winter.  it has been bitterly cold the last two weeks but on January 15 and 16th the daytime temp was 60 degrees.  

so we have had a very mild and easy winter.  just waiting for the temperature to warm up enough to take a peek at the bees.

Archie

Honey, Vermont sunshine in a bottle.
Horns Pure Honey
House Bee

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2005, 12:21:18 PM »

We are having an average winter.

Ryan Horn
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next