Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 1989 Earthquake Anniversary  (Read 1239 times)

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
1989 Earthquake Anniversary
« on: October 18, 2008, 02:24:08 AM »
Just 19 years ago at 5:04pm a 7.1 magnitude earthquake changed my life.  The epicenter is in Nisene Marks Park here in Aptos, Santa Cruz County, Calif...3 miles from here as the crow flies.

I was the nursing supervisor on duty at our South County Hospital when it hit.  Crazy times...

Mother Earth...wow...

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: 1989 Earthquake Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 10:48:45 AM »
Sharon, wow!!!  That is terribly incredible stuff. Can you tell us how it changed your life, or is it something yo don't want to talk about.  BEautiful day in this great life. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 10:29:06 PM »
USGS has some good pics.  looking at them and remembering the event, it is  hard to believe that the damage and loss was not greater.
.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 02:17:27 AM »
Once memory I have specifically was looking at a rose blooming, and thinking.."Here I am in the midst of this drama, and you have the nerve to continue blooming"...It was a humbling experience.  I wanted to just move away from here, even though Monterey Bay has been my home forever...I remember someone saying, "You can't run away from the Earth"...

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 11:27:23 AM »
true statement.  there is no place immune.  look where i end up!  :-)
.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 12:13:02 PM »
 Yeh Kathy..That is pretty "Boring" where you live! :)

your friend,
john

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 12:47:52 PM »
it is, but what most don't know, even those who live here, is that the town of boring and surrounding area, are on top of the "boring vents".  the Boring Vents cover miles and are volcanic vents in the foothills of Mt Hood.  :-)

actually, i was talking about places like TX   ;)

Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 05:03:42 PM »
hey Kathy! I KNEW THAT!( The Tx thing I mean) :-D
 Are the "Vents" the same as the ones in Yellowstone?..You know, the underground "Super volcanoes"?

your friend,
john