Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 22, 2014, 06:09:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: normal?  (Read 3451 times)
Beth Kirkley
House Bee

« on: January 22, 2005, 01:10:16 PM »

Jerry brought this question up in another post, and I really wanted to see what everyone had to say about it.

What is normal? By your own definition..... who is normal, and what makes them normal?

Beth

Finman
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 01:20:25 PM »

nor·mal   adj.

FIRST: Normal = a city in central Illinois

According Webster's dictionary

1.conforming to the standard or the common type; usual; not abnormal; regular; natural.

2.serving to establish a standard.

3.Psychol. approximately average in any psychological trait, as intelligence, personality, or emotional adjustment.free from any mental disorder; sane.

4.Biol., Med. free from any infection or other form of disease or malformation, or from experimental therapy or manipulation.of natural occurrence.

5.Math. being at right angles, as a line; perpendicular.of the nature of or pertaining to a mathematical normal.(of an orthogonal system of real functions) defined so that the integral of the square of the absolute value of any function is 1.(of a topological space) having the property that corresponding to every pair of disjoint closed sets are two disjoint open sets, each containing one of the closed sets.(of a subgroup) having the property that the same set of elements results when all the elements of the subgroup are operated on consistently on the left and consistently on the right by any element of the group; invariant.

6.Chem. (of a solution) containing one equivalent weight of the constituent in question in one liter of solution.pertaining to an aliphatic hydrocarbon having a straight unbranched carbon chain, each carbon atom of which is joined to no more than two other carbon atoms.of or pertaining to a neutral salt in which any replaceable hydroxyl groups or hydrogen atoms have been replaced by other groups or atoms, as sodium sulfate, Na2SO4.
—n.

7.the average or mean: Production may fall below normal.

8.the standard or type.

9.Math. a perpendicular line or plane, esp. one perpendicular to a tangent line of a curve, or a tangent plane of a surface, at the point of contact.the portion of this perpendicular line included between its point of contact with the curve and the x-axis.

[1520–30; < L norm€lis made according to a carpenter's square, equiv. to norm(a) (see NORM) + -€lis -AL1]

—nor·malÆi·ty, norÆmal·ness, n.

http://www.hyperdictionary.com/search.aspx?define=normal
BigRog
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 02:59:00 PM »

I know nothing about normal, except it's supposed to be over there somewhere

"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"
golfpsycho
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2005, 03:38:41 PM »

ummmmmmm.. normal and golfpsycho.... two things that don't often collide in the same sentence...... THEY CALLED ME MAD AT THE UNIVERSITY!!   BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAh
Lesli
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2005, 05:49:24 PM »

I think "normal" is highly subjective. "Usual" and "common" depend on experience, after all.  Where I live, vegetarians are "usual" and "common," and "normal." That couldn't be said everywhere.

Lesli
http://beeyard.blogspot.com/
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2005, 06:01:24 PM »

I am assuming that you are talking about normal where it concerns people. In most cases whether or not a person is normal is decided by someother person. There for one person being normal is due to the interpritation of another.

As everyone is different I woould say that being different is normal. If a group of people start acting exactly alike, that is not normal and is called all kinds of stuff like gangs, cults, fanatics, ect ect.

While Webster dictionary can define normal one can not really say what is normal as far as people are concernd. Could you imagine one of us dropped off into the 1950s. Man would we be totally abnormal. But if someone from the 50s were brought here, he/she would be abnormal.

Ever gone to Canada? They really thought I was weird on my few brief visits. But one doesn't have to go that far to be abnormal. As a trucker I went many places on this contenent, and I would always feel great relief at being back to normal when I hit the Texas state line, even though I was still hundreds of miles away from home. Texas people were normal. All those other places were not. Imagine them thinking I was wierd.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
leominsterbeeman
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2005, 11:33:49 AM »

Normal is anything that you would do.

Abnormal is anything that you wouldn't do.

beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2005, 11:56:47 AM »

Gee Beth.... I don't think Beemaster and NORMAL have ever been used in the same sentence.... well... Until now  rolleyes

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
Beth Kirkley
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2005, 01:05:40 PM »

I liked seeing everyone's answers. Jerry explains it the way I would -"normal" is as each individual decides it is.
Some of the standard descriptions of what's normal are not something I want to be. I don't want to be "like the standard". I wouldn't want to be just the same as a bunch of other people. How boring would that be.
Generally when people say they're normal, or that they want to be normal, they're really saying - I'm accepted by others or I want to be accepted by others. And sure that's a great thought - having people like you and think you're ok. But for me personally, I don't even want to be accepted by EVERYONE. For instance, I wouldn't want murders and rapists to say - "you're alright Beth, we like you, and you can hang with us anytime you'd like". If it was like that, it would probably be because I thought sort of like them and acted sort of like them. So I don't want to be considered "ok" and "normal" within some groups.

You know, that makes me think of something. The next time you say to yourself - "I sure wish that person would like me, I wish they would accept me, I wish they'd at least think of me as an ok person" - then rethink what you're saying. If you really do want them to accept you, the best way to get that acceptance is to act JUST LIKE THEM. If you act like THEM, then they'll think of you as "normal". But is that what you really want? Do you really like their personal values? Sure, YOU may be willing to "accept" or "tolerate" THEIR behavior, or so you think. But if you really like completely who THEY are, then why don't YOU act like that, or "do as they do".

There are a lot of people who think I'm out of the norm. Lots of people think I'm strange. So I say "well who is it that I really want to accept me?". Who is it that I want to have look at me and say "you're alright in my book"? For me personally, that would be the One who made me, the One who watches over me, the One who (I believe) holds my very future and SOUL within Their hand. For me, that would be the God of the Holy Bible. So I work to be "like" God. I search after what's acceptable to Him. No one else's opinion matters to me really, when it comes right down to it - only His opinion matters.

That's were I evaluate what normal is, by what's good, acceptable, and normal to God. Not what's acceptable to every god, but the God spoken of in the Holy Bible. I guess many people would say "well what makes you think YOU have the true God?" The only way for me to answer that is to say that I don't know for sure, but it's just a chance and choice I make. A hope, and with faith that I've made the right choice.

Beth Smiley

Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2005, 01:39:39 PM »

I'm with you Beth. I may not be a leader but I sure ain't no follower. I may take a path no one else cares to take but I'm not going the other way if I don't want to, no matter how many people like it.

It is easier to be myself and have others like me for who I am, if anyone, than to try to keep up some act for others to except me. If they don't, no loss here.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

Finman
House Bee

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2005, 02:07:17 PM »

In psychology normal means that a person is not dangerous for ousiders of for himself.

In our country it is more normal to take divorce than keep first husband or wife.
BigRog
House Bee

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2005, 02:40:26 PM »

WHose Brain did you get?
Abby someone
Abby Someone?
Yeah
Abby Normal!

"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2005, 03:17:02 PM »

Was that a normal response?

Jerry

Beth Kirkley
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2005, 06:38:27 PM »

In psychology normal means that a person is not dangerous for ousiders of for himself.

But once again..... a danger by whose standard? If you took that stand alone as to "what and who" is normal, there's still lots of problems with it. There are some that feel that certain groups of muslims are very dangerous to themselves and others - and others will disagree. There are some that feel Christians are dangerous, and still others that think Jews are dangerous. Outside of religious circles, some people think a liberal or a conservative person is dangerous - depending on what side they personally are on. And still others that think that southern people are dangerous, or northern people are, or blacks, or whites...... you get the point. I know for sure there are people that think ALL AMERICANS are dangerous. And could there be some that think that anyone from Finland is dangerous? Probably.

The only way to "fit in" with that thinking, and be normal by those standards, is to have no view at all. There are already a bunch of people out there like that - well sort of. They take the thinking, live and let live, be tolerant of others. I think to myself about that view - surely the don't like SOMEONE out there. Surely there is a group, or several groups that they just refuse to "let live". There is no way a person can be completely tolerant of everyone and everything.

So what else do we base normal activity on? Maybe what the laws are? If you follow the laws of the land, are you normal then? I don't think so. Some of the laws in other countries I see as simply barbaric. And in this counrty were getting to a point were it's against the law to disagree with someone else's values. (Speaking of the hate crime laws that make it illegal for a church to speak about what God thinks of a homosexual lifestyle.)

My conclusion at this point? There is no such thing as normal yet. And I don't want to see a world where there is something called normal. Because I doubt being normal would allow me to have any thought of my own, any creativity, or any drive. If I was normal, I would agree with everyone, and be accepting of all views and values. I don't want to see a world like that.

Beth

1frozenhillbilly
House Bee

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2005, 02:22:42 PM »

i know it isn't me so i don';t worry about it too much cheesy

vegetarian???  isnt green stuff for growing meat?
Horns Pure Honey
House Bee

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2005, 02:39:37 PM »

being normal is vastly over rated, lol

Ryan Horn
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next