Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 01, 2014, 08:48:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What about this?  (Read 1225 times)
Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« on: September 30, 2008, 12:06:46 PM »

AP

Sept. 10: CERN scientists applaud as the first proton beam is fired through the Large Hadron Collider's tunnel near Geneva, Switzerland.
Sept. 10: CERN scientists applaud as the first proton beam is fired through the Large Hadron Collider's tunnel near Geneva, Switzerland.
 HONOLULU  —  A federal judge in Hawaii has dismissed a lawsuit trying to stop the world's largest atom smasher.

U.S. District Court Judge Helen Gilmor ruled Friday that federal courts don't have jurisdiction over the Large Hadron Collider in Europe, near Geneva.

Two Hawaii residents sued because they feared that the machine could create small black holes or other phenomena that could destroy the planet.

• Click here for more photos.

• Click here to find out how the Large Hadron Collider works.

• Click here to visit FOXNews.com's Natural Science Center.

Most physicists say the collider is safe. The collider started low-power operation on Sept. 10 but suffered malfunctions and will be shut down until spring while it's repaired.

RelatedStories
'Big Bang Machine' to Be Shut Down Until Spring 'Big Bang Machine' Damage Forces 2-Month Halt 'Big Bang Machine' Breaks Down Again 'Big Bang Machine' Finally Ready to Smash Particles Report: Hackers Break Into 'Big Bang Machine' Computer Network Video
'Big Bang Machine' Large Hadron Rap Photo Essays
Big Bang Machine Gilmor did not address whether the collider poses a danger to the Earth.

"It is clear that plaintiffs' action reflects disagreement among scientists about the possible ramifications of the operation of the Large Hadron Collider," Gilmor wrote. "This extremely complex debate is of concern to more than just physicists."

The collider is a 17-mile ring of superconducting magnets that will send high-energy beams of subatomic particles crashing into each other, fracturing atoms into more fundamental particles that can be observed and studied.

Scientists hope the machine will reveal how the tiniest particles were first created after the "big bang," which many theorize was the massive explosion that formed the stars, planets and everything.

The plaintiffs, retired nuclear safety officer Walter Wagner and Spanish science writer Luis Sancho, filed suit in March. They wanted collider operations to be suspended until more safety reviews could be conducted.

Gilmor said they failed to prove that U.S. support of the project is a "major federal action" under the National Environmental Policy Act.

The United States provided $531 million for the construction of the $5.84 billion collider — less than 10 percent of the total cost.

She said the proper venue to debate U.S. support of the program is in Congress, not the federal courts.

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 01:56:55 PM »

Yeah. I posted something on this a while back. I said they are going to smash particles together and they will get smashed particles. That is all.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 01:22:06 PM »

I check this website every once in a while just to make sure:
http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com/
 rolleyes

Seriously though...they were looking for their "god" particle.  I think they found it but it got loose and pierced a helium tank causing a leak that will shut it down till next spring...

Rick
Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 06:21:34 PM »

Yeah. I posted something on this a while back. I said they are going to smash particles together and they will get smashed particles. That is all.
Yep I remember that.

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
EasternShore
House Bee

Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 03:00:16 AM »

So someone FINALLY FOUND GOD?Huh

Woooowwwwwwwwwww....    grin

or just a piece of him? Would that be Jesus?
Scarey stuff folks..would suck if they blew the planet up...but then we would'nt need a bailout...

Mark

Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.
Understudy
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 08:42:18 AM »

I have been following this device for a while. The construction alone was just incredible. The breakdown that took place in September is going to delay things until next year. That sucks.

The hope is that they find the Higgs Boson
particle.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_boson

That and a few other things. As with science though when you answer one question it raises many more. So it will be very interesting to see some of the other research that is done.

And then there are the crackpots.
http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2008/09/doomsday-black.html
Daily Galaxy favorite Walter Wagner has finally been thrown out of court!  For those of you who don't subscribe to Nutjob Monthly, Mr Wagner has been filing lawsuits to prevent the activation of the Large Hadron Collider - mainly based on the assumption that his time working in a hospital with nuclear medicine and a Hawaiian botanical garden gives him a better understanding of particle physics than almost every scientist on the planet.  It turns out this wasn't a great assumption.

As jerrymac said this is a bunch of adults getting together and smashing stuff. It goes to show that even with an Ivy league education and a Phd. That when we smashed stuff as kids it was fun. And we will find new ways to smash things when we get older.

For me I also love this stuff because it causes the creationist to get their panties in a bunch.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next