Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 22, 2014, 08:13:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dehydrating Potatoes  (Read 613 times)
GSF
Super Bee

« on: December 04, 2014, 03:21:34 PM »

I'm trying to break my Pringles addiction. Does anyone have any experience dehydrating potatoes? I'd like them thin enough to be like potatoe chips.

"Life is hard, It's even harder when you're stupid."

John Wayne
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 03:32:34 PM »

I've dried a lot of things, but potatoes were not on the list.  They tend to turn dark quickly and that makes them look a bit unappetizing...  maybe with some citric acid...

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
deknow
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 08:35:22 PM »

...or dry them in some hot oil/fat. afro
jayj200
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 08:43:52 AM »

Crisco comes to mind
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 09:43:20 AM »

>...or dry them in some hot oil/fat.

Yes.  I think that's just the ticket!

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 04:22:23 AM »

Or Transfat  grin

I don't know what it is, but I've ALWAYS gotten heartburn when I tried to eat those Pringles.  I figured all the processing and salt in those things were probably worse for you than just eating the real thing.  They probably instantly break apart into simple sugars when they hit the stomach!   

I'll admit to a potato chip addiction too.  I've tried to break it many times, but I just end up eating more less satisfying carbs.  All those carbs turned out to be more calories than if I had just given in an eaten a few chips.  Sometimes it isn't such a good thing to avoid one's urges all the time  Wink
jayj200
Queen Bee

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 12:44:27 PM »

those getting heartburn from eating a processed food product have a reaction to it and should abstaine 
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 01:03:05 PM »

I remember when Pringles first came out.  What a novelty.  grin  My mother bought some to take to a picnic and that was our first experience with them.  I've loved them ever since, but I don't buy them because I'll eat the whole container at a sitting!

After you asked this question I had googled it and meant to try, but forgot.  was drying to many peppers this year.  here is the easiest instruction I found.

http://www.realfood4realpeople.com/potatoes.html

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 04:32:50 PM »

Jay, I DO abstain from eating Pringles.  For some reason they disagree with my finely tuned system. Smiley 

I DO eat regular potato chips fried in oil.  I wonder what the glycemic index is for Pringles vs regular potato chips?  When things are highly processed and munched up before they enter your mouth, they quite often have a pretty high GI number!  I’m not a diabetic so it doesn’t really matter much to me, but I would generally think it's wiser to eat things that haven’t already been munched and crunched into fine particles before eating them; probably just me though  grin
BlueBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 10:04:37 PM »

I've tried breaking my potato chip habit with "lower calorie" popcorn puffs, but like Kathyp says, I would end up eating the whole bag at one time!  My instinct is the higher the Glycemic Index number of something, the faster you're going to finish the bag off  grin 

I've tried eating the frozen potato quarters seasoned with olive oil and herbs.  They're about as fulfilling as the chips, but they just take longer to wait for.  Who has the time to wait in today's society grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next