Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Borage  (Read 200 times)

Offline Peanut

• New Bee
Borage
« on: April 25, 2016, 04:50:40 PM »
I just got 2lbs of borage seed. Before the rain the other night I ran a gang disk over about an acre with no angle on the disks. I just wanted to crack the sod open. Anyone have tips on borage? How to sow etc. Thanks in advance.  :smile:

Offline Peanut

• New Bee
Re: Borage
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 12:20:28 AM »
No one spoke up so I had to go with what I could find on the net. I sowed 1.6 pounds on about 2 acres. The other .4lbs I sowed in a 10ft X 50ft strip between my hives. I also hand spread 200lbs of crushed volcanic rock on top of the seed and ran the gang disk over both spots. Supposed to rain in the next 24hrs, fingers crossed.

Offline OldMech

• Field Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 12:53:06 AM »
Sorry, didnt see the post!!!   I spread a mixed seed with Borage, Sainfoin, Crimson clover, White clover and a smattering of buckwheat over about six acres..   I sprayed the field with roundup in the fall, disked in the spring and then used a spreader to broadcast the seed. It looked fair to midling last year, this will be the second year, so we will see if it looks any better in a few weeks.
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline GSF

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 03:11:45 PM »
I'm watching the both of yall through the cracks. I bought 5 acres across the road, then bought a tractor, (sigh). My goal is to plant as much bee forage as possible.
Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.

Plato

Offline Peanut

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 01:36:10 AM »
For this year I already have 6 acres of crimson and hop clover in bloom, I took this photo about 10 days ago. The bees are eating it up! Borage is an annual that blooms for 3 months. I wanted about 2 acres of blooms for the in between times. This afternoon I got about 2 inches of rain. Hopefully the germination rate will be high on the seed I've sown. :smile:

Offline Peanut

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 01:44:03 AM »
Sorry, didnt see the post!!!   I spread a mixed seed with Borage, Sainfoin, Crimson clover, White clover and a smattering of buckwheat over about six acres..   I sprayed the field with roundup in the fall, disked in the spring and then used a spreader to broadcast the seed. It looked fair to midling last year, this will be the second year, so we will see if it looks any better in a few weeks.

Post a pic when it comes up... lets see how it looks.  :smile:

Offline GSF

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 08:12:04 AM »
Is it too late to plant borage around here?
Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.

Plato