Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Natural Fence  (Read 232 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Field Bee
Natural Fence
« on: February 17, 2017, 05:06:12 PM »
I got my 5 strand barb wire fence up. I was thinking of planting a natural fence right beside it to help keep the cows out. I was leaning towards holly bushes because they are evergreen and stick you. But my question is how much do honeybees like them. Surprisingly Google was not that helpful.

Offline sawdstmakr

• Galactic Bee
Re: Natural Fence
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 09:26:20 AM »
Wallace,
I don't have holly bushes but is have several species of holly trees and in the spring the bees cover the trees. I can hear the bees on the trees from a long ways off. What is nice is that they bloom on different weeks, not all at the same time.
Jim
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Offline GeezLouise

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 02:06:32 PM »
Holly spines probably won't phase cattle (if that's what you were thinking); they have thick skin. I don't remember if it's poisonous to them.

Also if you'll be in the area in sandals, hand weeding, or mulching with grass clippings from there, you may want to avoid spiny plants.

Says the person who planted about 75 feet of Oregon grape along a fence in a suburban backyard. The Oregon grape did keep humans from climbing over the fence.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
1910' elevation, east slope of Cascade Mt range, orchard country

Offline bwallace23350

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 03:34:51 PM »
Holly was a thought but I would really like something that blooms in the July/August time frame. I have more research to do.

Offline bwallace23350

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 07:21:09 PM »
Holly spines probably won't phase cattle (if that's what you were thinking); they have thick skin. I don't remember if it's poisonous to them.

Also if you'll be in the area in sandals, hand weeding, or mulching with grass clippings from there, you may want to avoid spiny plants.

Says the person who planted about 75 feet of Oregon grape along a fence in a suburban backyard. The Oregon grape did keep humans from climbing over the fence.

Poisonous to the bees or cattle?

Offline GeezLouise

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 07:49:56 PM »
LOL, the cattle.

1910' elevation, east slope of Cascade Mt range, orchard country

Offline bwallace23350

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 11:50:56 AM »
I have gave up on the actual natural fence idea and instead am just going to plant random herbs, lavender plants, butterfly bushes, lantana, and other such plants sporadically along the fence row.