Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 19, 2014, 02:18:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GMO Chicken  (Read 5669 times)
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« on: September 18, 2008, 03:57:56 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080918/sc_nm/food_modified_fda_dc;_ylt=AtvdozdSGyhEflFHarhCEmCs0NUE
FDA issues rules for genetically modified animals

By Christopher Doering

Animals genetically engineered to produce drugs and healthier foods will be subjected to review to help protect consumers from any unknown risks, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said on Thursday.

The FDA published detailed proposed guidelines that producers of genetically engineered animals would have to follow to determine if there are any risks to humans, the environment and the animals themselves.

The proposed guidelines bring the decades-old technology of genetic engineering one step closer to the consumer's dinner table. Genetically modified cattle, pigs, fish and goats are being made for a variety of uses.

Some produce pharmaceuticals in milk or blood. Others have traits to make them resistant to diseases such as mad cow disease or to produce more healthful meat or milk.

"Many kinds of genetically engineered animals are in development, although none has yet been approved by the agency for marketing," said FDA Deputy Commissioner Randall Lutter.

Foods produced from some bioengineered animals will not have to be labeled, FDA said. The agency is inviting public comment on its proposals and could modify them before they become final.

Consumer groups said the move was a good first step but they were disappointed that the FDA would not require all genetically modified animal food products to be labeled.

"It is incomprehensible to us that FDA does not view these animals as different from their conventional counterparts," said Jean Halloran, director of food policy initiatives at Consumers Union.

"Consumers have a right to know if the ham, bacon or pork chops they are buying come from pigs that have been engineered with mouse genes."

But the FDA said labeling will be required if there is a significant change in the food that makes it different from ordinary products.

Some animals have been made to produce healthier foods, such as pork with higher levels of omega-3 fatty acids. Those would need a label.

Producers will be required to describe the DNA and how it behaves in the animal, the impact of the change on the animal's health and show the product is not different from traditional food.

The companies also will have to inform the FDA how they will keep track of the animals and dispose of them when they die. If there is a high risk, the FDA might require the animals to be sterilized to prevent them from breeding with other animals.

The FDA said it has the authority to regulate genetically engineered animals through the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act.

The measure identifies a drug as anything that changes the "structure or function" of the person or animal. In this case, an animal is genetically modified by adding a piece of DNA to introduce a desired trait.

(Reporting by Christopher Doering; Editing by Maggie Fox and Cynthia Osterman)

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 05:45:43 PM »

Oh MAN!!!
 Those are the coolest chickens I've ever seen!!!
 I bet they would need sunsreen though!
your friend,
john

Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 10:57:41 PM »

Oh MAN!!!
 Those are the coolest chickens I've ever seen!!!
 I bet they would need sunsreen though!
your friend,
john

Coat with vegetable oil and they'll already be deep fried at slaughter time.  Think of the savings in time.  Hot Fresh deep fried chicken on the hoof (so to speak).

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 07:02:09 AM »

LOL Brian   grin
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 11:21:37 AM »

If it tastes like beef, its a winner!

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
HomeBru
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 12:39:01 PM »

FYI, those aren't GMO technically. Some heavily inbred varieties of chickens tend to throw featherless offspring from time to time. (GMO means genetics from a different species added) People have experimented with featherless chickens over the decades and since we don't see them in KFC, they probably don't work well. Like most over-bred animals, they tend to be weak and I'd imagine the skin is really tough!

Cool looking things, tho.

J-
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 06:03:11 PM »

Here is the story behind the naked chickens,

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B06E1D81F38F937A15756C0A9649C8B63

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 12:11:43 AM »

Such chickens would set up an entirely new industry, financed by PETA: designer clothes for chickens. 

I can picture it now, a fastidious hen with a rabbit skin stole.

But I think with a little more "reverse engineering" he could create a miniture Dinosaur.  Turn the feathers back to scales.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next