Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 25, 2014, 01:53:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: slat racks  (Read 865 times)
rast
Field Bee

« on: September 06, 2008, 11:18:52 AM »

Are slat racks less efficient at creating a dead air space if the racks run parallel to the frames instead of 90 degrees to them? Just seems to me that debris, mites, etc would be more prone to fall through if they were parallel to the frames.

Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 12:11:17 PM »

>Are slat racks less efficient at creating a dead air space if the racks run parallel to the frames instead of 90 degrees to them? Just seems to me that debris, mites, etc would be more prone to fall through if they were parallel to the frames.

I have some of each and don't notice any difference in any way.  IMO, it really doesn't matter.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 11:10:48 PM »

Are slat racks less efficient at creating a dead air space if the racks run parallel to the frames instead of 90 degrees to them? Just seems to me that debris, mites, etc would be more prone to fall through if they were parallel to the frames.

I prefer the slats run the same way as the frames.  Yes it does create a dead air space between broodbox and bottom board that acts as insulation.
The slats I designed uses dowling instead of flat stock for the slats which allows more bees to cling to the slat and do useful work and helps mites, wax debris, etc, fall out of the hive.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next