Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 28, 2014, 09:01:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ok or bad idea  (Read 751 times)
wtiger
House Bee

« on: September 03, 2008, 12:22:10 AM »

I harvested a medium super of honey a week ago, my first harvest, using crush and strain.  Today I spread the wet cappings out on a few trays a couple hundred yards from the hives to let the bees clean it up and they just went wild.  There were probably 50 dead bees scattered about at night fall.   I know 50 dead bees is no biggie but is there any real risk to doing this?  Do I expose my hives to a large portion diseases and viruses?  Could this hurt them?  Basically is this ok.  I was expecting a bit of a frenzy over the cappings, but I've never seen so many bees cover anything outside of a swarm.  The trays were absolutely covered.  You couldn't even see the cappings other than when 5-10  were fighting a hunk off of the tray onto the ground.

As a side note it was really cool to watch.
TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 04:57:15 AM »

not a problem at all, only time it could be bad is if you had a hive with signs of foul brood, as long as its all from your healthy hives don't worry about it, I put my capping's out every year along with my empty supers, no since in wasting it when the gals can use it and its also a very good way to clean the honey from your capping's  Wink .

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 YEARS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 10:03:20 AM »

I do this too, just make sure they aren't too close to the hives, or the bees will go looking for other easy pickings shocked.

They do get aggressive when cleaning the cappings up, and I've been stung if I get too close.  And it attracts all of the neighborhood wasps, hornets, yellowjackets, vespas, and other unsavory characters to your area.

I think I decided I'll do it earlier in the summer when there is a flow on, but during a dearth and in the fall...it is just too many flying bugs with stinger butts for me to bother with. 

You can do the same thing inside of a hive, just stick it on the top bars with a box overtop and make sure that there aren't any easy entrances, and they will clean it up good without the crazy bees flying around.

Rick

Rick
dpence
Field Bee

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 11:46:17 AM »

I do the same thing. This year I put some of the extracted frames in a hive.  Another super we harvested  I put the frames out away from the hives hanging in a deep box.  Surprisingly it was raining yesterday and the girls were working clean up very well.   

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next