I had a minor outbreak a few months back. One thing I observed, they hide well in the bottom rail of split bottom frames. Sure, the bees will probably plug them up, but it takes time, giving them time to reproduce. I'll only buy groved frames from now on.
As far as control, I did signboard/borax traps, ground treatment with DE and crowded my weaker hive. I think the crowding really worked best. I went from seeing 10-20 beetles to one or two. The DE killed the five or six ant mounds within a ten foot radius of the hives, so hopefully it's getting any larvae that manage to get out.
I just don't think 100 percent control is possible.