Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 16, 2014, 08:05:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oh, I need the help of all you women  (Read 3923 times)
Frantz
Field Bee

« on: August 26, 2008, 09:33:23 PM »

Ok, so I am just a contractor here in Utah. I have done a lot of things that are a little different than that of the average contractor like, we developed an owner builder program for people who want to build their own home instead of hiring a general contractor and such. We do things a little different I admit. Things have  been good for the most part. (meaning we have been well received) Recently my brian child was a place that all my clients and subs and suppliers could hook up and work with each other with out dealing with the pressure and hype of a weekend homeshow. The perfect example of this is HomeShow Daily. www.homeshowdaily.com.
Well ok, so now the thing is this. I have done some advertising and some morning shows promoting the HomeCoach Program (our Owner Builder thing) and HomeShow Daily. One of these morning shows called studio 5 (http://studio5.ksl.com/?sid=3200663&nid=59) kinda Utah's regis and kathy lee, wants me to come on and do a full segmenet. They liked how comfortable I was during the segments that I did for the advertising and I am a contractor so they have said " prepare a segment on whatever you want, make it good and we will have you on regularly" So move over Bob Villa right?
Here is the problem. It is a show that is totally geared to women as you can see if you clicked the link. So if you women were watching a show and a segment came up with a contractor what would you like to see?? I need to hit this one out of the park, I am asking all you wonderful women and guys who watch the talk shows at 11:00am for ideas. I will have about 10 mins of stuff to present between some commercial breaks and such. If this goes well, meaning that there website gets a lot of hits to download my information, then this will become a regular segment so I would need to stick with a theme sorta speak, So what do you think?Huh
So would you want to see how to winterize your home?, or How to find a stud in a wall to hang a picture? or what?
I am open to all ideas....
Frantz
PS Thanks for all your help, I am really looking forward to this......
PSS I forgot to mention that he segment will run 2 week of Oct....

Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"
Jessaboo
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 11:36:42 PM »

Well, based on your biz and the connecting segments issue, I might like to see how to build a basic and small playhouse for the kids (ie: playhouse/storage shed/dog house/potting shed etc.) that used standard sized (and readily available) supplies from a box store.

Kind of like the builder/owner idea Jr.

If I could do that, I really might consider building my own house (or at least a bigger shed).

Personally, I like to find out how to do garden projects - fencing, building raised beds, arbors, lattices, etc. but I don't know how well that will go over in October.

My only other thought might be too basically insulting (most folks are not as stupid about these things as I am) is that there are lots of times I don't really know what the heck I am looking at (or for) in Lowe's/Home Depot/whatever. Maybe picking a few aisles and going over some of the more commonly used items would help "us gals" learn some terminology and what some of that crap is for.

You should have heard me trying to explain a shop light to the guy in Lowe's last week. "You know, it's like this silver cone and it goes over a light bulb and it has this clip thing so you can hang it up ..."

Just embarrassing.

Anyway, hope this note might spark some ideas for you.

- Jess

PS - Congrats on the opp - it sounds really great! Break a leg!

eri
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 07:52:13 AM »

Very cool approach with the Homeshow Daily and Home Coach. I love that sort of thing - sometimes I'll spend a lazy Saturday watching This Old House, New Yankee Workshop, Ask This Old House, etc.

For the last few years I have lived with a building contractor and have learned a LOT. I can think of a gazillion things. Immediately what comes to mind, though, is how to know WHEN you need a contractor/advice. Example: my son and his friends tore off an old screen porch and built a deck. Within a year it was a disaster. My friend the contractor took a look and went through the basics like minimum roof overhang to prevent splashback, nail's width space between the decking boards to prevent pooling and allow drainage, underdeck land grading for drainage, figuring size to maximize wood usage, slope degree away from the house, etc. My son's next effort, with some of the same friends and a more experienced carpenter, was a success.

I've learned how to do sheetrock repair, find studs, adjust cabinet doors, hang cabinets, common wood lengths and widths (and terminology like 5/4), more I can't recall. Another sticky thing in this county, at least, is when you need permits, how to get them, when and what order you need inspections and how to call them in, etc. I learned that Murphy's Oil Soap contains no oil, but if it did, not to use it on my polyurethane finish if I ever want to have the floor refinished. Replacing old vinyl, installing a toilet. Using nail guns. What type and size screw to use.

Don't see how you could run out of ideas. The DYI websites are chock full of tips and tricks you could demonstrate.

Not to worry about the female audience. Generalization: I've found women read the instructions and follow advice more often than men, who believe they were born to build and don't need no stinkin' manual!

Good luck. You have a relaxed and confident camera presence. Much better, I think, than arrogant Bob Vila, who rarely picked up a hammer, never got dirty, and treated Norm like a slave  Wink

On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 10:30:07 AM »

Should def include a segment on how to clean fish and wildgame. Most women are great cooks but can't clean fish or game to save their lives so this would be a great service to all the sportsman type guys in the world, besides after a long day of "providing" a hunter needs to sit back watch tv and have a cold one while the wife cooks and cleans supper!!! grin

All kidding aside, I've met many women who are do it yourselfers, def do a segment on sheetrock repairs, floating taping, painting, how to change a toilet wax seal gasget, removing wall paper, hanging wall paper, putting in tile floors, laminated floors, etc...

Also mention in case of a water leak, how to turn off the water at the main.

And lastly, a segment on how to give her man a really good massage!!! grin Kiss

Oh, and include one for Cindi about rocks.

...JP Wink

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 10:43:02 AM »

Good for you Frantz

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 11:35:17 AM »

Frantz, isn't that JP still such a brat, me and my rocks, imagine!!!

Frantz, I think that this is simply wonderful that you are going to be on national TV and doing such a wonderful thing.  I wish you all the best luck and I think that things are gonna be a smash.  I personally cannot think of anything, I have no desire to learn of anything to do with "making things", I know other women will be very interested to chime in and give you some good clues, you have already received some, yeah!!!!   Smiley Smiley Smiley  So, work hard, you are going to make something very interesting come about.  Have a most wonderful and awesome day, love our life.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Frantz
Field Bee

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 03:09:57 PM »

Thanks so much for the input, I am jotting down all sorts of ideas. Cindi, just so you know, it is just a local show, not quite national. Utah and surrounding areas only. But you have to start small right?? grin
Also Cindi, so you say you have not desire to learn anything about building stuff right? This is exactly what I need to find out, what is it that you have need of? You have a very handy husband, a lot of women do, but what are the things that those husbands just never get around to doing?? Fixing a cabinet door?, or a door knob that won't lock. That sort of stuff. Obviously, they (the TV Show Producers) are thinking that as a contractor I will be able to teach some women things that they could do themselves around the house. What are those nagging things that all women need done, but the hubby just hasn't gotten around to??? That sort of thing.
Like I said, great ideas so far, awesome playhouse idea Jess.... Keep them coming. I will totally give credit when I use the ideas as well...
Frantz

annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 11:26:20 PM »

Well firstly, I want to say that you were great on TV. It was really nice to see you in person and you did look very relaxed.

I think I am understanding more now what you want. I am in the same boat as Cindi, I never make anything or even fix anything, but there are many things I want done around the house. One of my main problems is the landscaping. The water emitters are always busting off and shooting straight up to the sky. I have lost many many trees around my property and I am so interested in having someone who can lay out a plan for me and tell me what will grow around my house. What the deers will not eat. Which trees will grow fast,but not grow roots under my house. Things like this. How about a program geared for women on how to do simple irrigation systems.

We have a problem with a faucet in the kitchen sink that keeps getting clogged up with small pebbles. I finally figured out how to take it apart and clean out the filter. But I have a fear of doing things like this. Perhaps a program geared for women on fixing just one thing only. How to change a leaky faucet, How to unstick a garbage disposal, which tools to have on hand for simple fix it jobs. Perhaps some tools that are totally geared for women. (pink color would be nice - only kidding!!) I mean drills that are not too heavy to lift, etc.. and what is the price range for some good all purpose tools.

I am actually at the point in my life that I would love to receive a toolbox just for me. I almost signed up for a womens basic fix it class, but it was only for one night and I felt I would not really learn anything that I could remember.

Anyway, hope this helped you a bit for ideas.  Good luck to you and let us know how it goes.

Annette

Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 12:45:15 AM »

So what you going to call this thing again?   Home Improvement Utah?

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 05:42:28 AM »

So what you going to call this thing again?   Home Improvement Utah?

Home Improvement Utah, HIU, I like it.  It could even spread to other states... well, at least until you get to Vermont... nobody wants HIV.  grin

Ok, that pun was a stretch, I admit.

Frantz, how about installing cabinets, and general home maintanence (what to do, and when to do it)...

Also changing a light fixture might be a good one.

Whatever segment you do, just make sure it's something you have to take off your shirt for... an instant hit with the women.   Wink
eri
House Bee

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 07:42:13 AM »

Replacing screen in a storm door. Screening/Rescreening a porch. The many uses of a pressure washer. Dealing with carpenter bees. Maximizing the utility of small spaces. Heating with wood. Maybe the show could solicit questions/topics from the local audience?

On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.
Frantz
Field Bee

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 09:52:01 AM »

Guys and Gals, those are all awesome suggestions. Eri, I love the suggestion of getting locals to email in questions that they might have and then we answer them on the show. That is a great idea.
Thank you all for your input so far.
Sarge, I suggested a few kinky shows about men and women with a contractor's point of view, but then they reminded me that we were in Utah!!! Oh yea, I forgot.. I love the HIV idea, It would certainly attract some attention.
Annette I am working on some sponsors and such for the segment, if I get pink tools on board, you will be the first to receive them I promise
Home Improvement Utah??? Sounds excellent, I wish I could be up there this weekend with you Brian, and all of the others... Good luck with all that.

F

poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 01:28:22 PM »

Frantz what a wonderful opportunity for you!  You looked so natural on camera.  Unlike Cindi & Annette, my DH has the ablity to do things but not the desire.  I would like to know how to figure out just what you need for a project from materiels to tools, to specs.  How to plan a shed, playhouse or chix coop, garden  beds, irrigation, basic plumbing & electrical, putting in ceiling fans, blinds, water features, fencing...  There are enough things to keep you on the show till you are 94!! grin  Annette, there are pink tools & toolbelts! Google pink girlgear or look on Amazon.  They are smaller & lighter & DH won't take & loose em..heh heh evil It would save so much time to have a toolbelt, the mens are just too big & bulky..(ugly too..shhhh rolleyes) This is so exciting Frantz!!   Jody

I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard
1frozenhillbilly
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 04:00:17 PM »

well i went top my sister and she recomended first of all something about minor wall board repeirs,  spackling, painting and such,  mop gaurds,( her husband's wheel chair sometimes leaves dings)  how to measure and install closet organizers(she got excited when she mentioned that one)  how to explain exactly what she wants to the contractor.   automatic watering systems.  she has fits trying to repair sprinkler heads and such
btw tomboy tools .com has pink tool sets

vegetarian???  isnt green stuff for growing meat?
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 09:43:28 PM »

Was just thinking....I do that once in a great while.....Maybe it should be Utah Home Improvement (UHI) and film it in Lehi.  LOL

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2008, 11:57:46 PM »

Sarge, I suggested a few kinky shows about men and women with a contractor's point of view, but then they reminded me that we were in Utah!!!

Those women are mormon Frantz, not dead.   grin

I am sooo going to hell for that, aren't I?  evil
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 09:18:45 AM »

Sarge, I suggested a few kinky shows about men and women with a contractor's point of view, but then they reminded me that we were in Utah!!!

Those women are mormon Frantz, not dead.   grin

I am sooo going to hell for that, aren't I?  evil

If you wanna get to heaven, ya gotta raise a little hell!!!

God has a sense of humor Sarge so you are off the hook!!!

...JP

and

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

Frantz
Field Bee

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 09:42:14 AM »

Amen!!! God does have a sense of humor,,, I see it every day evil
No need to list the examples
F
PS I do think that you are going to hell though sarge. See you there!

Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 12:20:21 PM »

Frantz, Utah TV, national TV, the same wonderful thing, you are a celebrity  cool Smiley Smiley Smiley

I think that if I were to ever want to learn something, it would be how to use a skillsaw.  That terrifies me, I think it is the noise that mostly gets to me, I have to cover my ears when my Husband is using it, my ears are so awefully sensitive and it hurts me.  Guess I could always wear earplugs when that is going on.  I wonder if that could ever be shown for those that get scared by saws?  This may sound kind of weird too.  I would like to learn how to bang in a nail.  Every time that I try to build something (and yes, in the chicken barns I am always trying to build things, and it takes me eons!!!!), the nails keep going crooked and I have to take them back out.  Toe-nailing, now that is almost impossible.  So, there are alot of dummies out there when it comes to carpentry stuff, me the prime example.

You are going to get some excellent input here Frantz.  I still like the idea of Annette's of the pink tools.  I had some green snips once, somehow JP got them, they got to you and they wound up being pink.  Still can't figure that one out, hee, hee  shocked Lips Sealed Wink Smiley Smiley  (for those readers that don't get this last paragraph, it is an inside joke between JP, Frantz and me.  One day I know I will get back my pink, once upon a time, green snips!!!  Oh how I love my forum pals!!!   cool cheesy cheesy :lol:Have the most wonderful and awesomely great day, Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2008, 09:04:40 PM »

Cindi, I think the snips are orange now with silver sparkles in the paint, and I hear that Bud now is the proud owner, just try taking them!!! grin grin

...JP

and

Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 11:45:36 AM »

JP, I can't believe you!!!!  You are one little brat!!!  You know that Bud would never give them up, they are far too coveted now, hee, hee.  Have that wonderful and great day, Cindi

JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2008, 10:40:14 AM »

JP, I can't believe you!!!!  You are one little brat!!!  You know that Bud would never give them up, they are far too coveted now, hee, hee.  Have that wonderful and great day, Cindi

Bud, in fact did own the snips, but a little birdie told me they are headed Brian's way, and he will be using them to cut the ram that Brendhan tussled withs toe nails.

...JP Wink Kiss

and

Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2008, 11:56:56 AM »

JP, oh, eeks!!!  Now I am gonna have to be chasin' Brian for them, and they will no doubt smell like billy goat, cause I know the billy and the ram are in the same pen, now what I gonna do?  cool grin Wink Smiley Smiley Smiley  Have the most wonderful day, love our great lives we all live and share.  Cindi

Frantz
Field Bee

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2008, 02:25:37 PM »

Ok, so just to update you all on the situation here. I have my first segment scheduled for Oct 6th which is next Monday. I think that we have decided to go with a format of The HomeCoach (thats me) who is going to show you how to build and repair things. All of them being easier than you might think. We will start out with some small segments doing some simple and really easy projects.
I think that this is going to be our first
 http://family.go.com/entertainment/craft-ff-26544-general-bone-e--part-t/
A little cheesy, but it should grab some attention and no power tools to start with.
We will see, I have all of your ideas logged and ready to go. I get to do segments once a month till Jan and then it is on a "lets see how it goes basis"
I will get you all more information so you can log onto the web site and give your input....
Recommended input being "Wow, that Frantz guy was sure helpful and extremely good looking as well, you should have him on more often!!!) But of course you could leave whatever input you like grin
F

Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2008, 05:37:11 PM »

Frantz it guy's like you that cause me to much work. Go's like this I go to work wife stays home watches shows like your's I come home she Say's you could do this and I have to do it just to keep her happy some of the stuff is fun grin I wish you all the luck with your show grin grin grin

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2008, 09:47:41 PM »

I think you're smart for foregoing power tools to begin with.  It's much more important that beginners master the basics of removing fingers, toes, and other parts with hand tools first. 

And then you'll have to include some basic home handiman 1st aid too.  You know: removing splinters with duck bill pliers, bandaging large cuts with pop rivets, stopping bleeding with a hot soldering iron, etc.

JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2008, 10:07:01 PM »

I think you're smart for foregoing power tools to begin with.  It's much more important that beginners master the basics of removing fingers, toes, and other parts with hand tools first. 

And then you'll have to include some basic home handiman 1st aid too.  You know: removing splinters with duck bill pliers, bandaging large cuts with pop rivets, stopping bleeding with a hot soldering iron, etc.
[/glow]

Sounds Frankensteinish to me. Tell me more, let me dim the lights first!

...JP

and

Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2008, 10:05:40 PM »

[/glow]

Sounds Frankensteinish to me. Tell me more, let me dim the lights first!

...JP

Don't forget the Popcorn!  But seriously, nothing beats a good set of needle nosed pliers for removing splinters...metal or wood. 

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next