Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 28, 2014, 10:00:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone ever try Geocaching?  (Read 3378 times)
Beth Kirkley
House Bee

« on: January 04, 2005, 02:54:58 AM »

My husband heard about this on a forum he visits. I'm not going to tell anyone just yet what it is. Smiley Try a little internet search if you've never heard of it. It looks like fun.

So has anyone heard of this, or tried it - especially asking John, since I know he has a global positioning toy.

Beth

beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 05:17:38 AM »

Yep.... I've Done several geocachings.

The rules are pretty simple really. People hide containers all over the world along trails, deep in the woods, along lakes, etc. - all at or around ground level and NONE buried: the caches are filled with a small logbook, some simple "dime-store" like items and they post the location in longitude and latitude, along with a simple set of clues to help the person find the cache at the Geocaching.com website.

I have hidden several, but removed them after finding that more people were getting deer-ticks than they were finding my hidden containers - the NJ woodlands (The Pine Barrens or Pinelands) are abundant with deer-ticks which can infect you with Lymes Disease (which I got and which triggered my Spinal Mennegitis - which I still suffer complications from even today, 4 years later).

But when you find a cache, you log into the book, remove an item and replace an item in the cache - noting what you took and what you left behind. Then you log-in on the website, and make similar notation there.

The point of Geo-Caching is really to show people that "you can't always get there from here" meaning that, even with very good instructions, it can be very difficult to find the cache because (for example) you may be 200 feet away and heading right for it, then all of a sudden a stream or other obstacle is in front of you - you may have to walk a mile out of the way to find the single road or trail which takes you to the cache.

Some people are whacked and literally have THOUSANDS of finds. There are fanatical people in every hobby, but this one requires a lot of spare time to track down and document thousands of finds.

It is a fun time, a great family event and it helps everyone learn about geography and GPSing.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
Archie
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 06:11:25 AM »

geocaching.    what a great past time.  I have been doing this for over a year now and just love it.  

go to www.geocaching.com for locations in your area.  this is a lot of fun.  

archie

Honey, Vermont sunshine in a bottle.
leominsterbeeman
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 03:53:17 PM »

To try it without a GPS....

letterboxing is similar, but you have to follow the clues,  like a treasure hunt....

http://www.letterboxing.org/

There is bound to be a box near you.

buzz
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 04:36:51 PM »

I started geocaching probably 2 years ago. Its been lots of fun while on a trip to go and do some local caches, and get to see the area a little bit. I'm not one of the "hard core" geocachers, though.

Scott
----------
"If you have no money and you have few possessions, if you have a dog you are still rich"
----------
"Forgiveness is easier to get than permission"
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 04:44:32 PM »

For Those GPS techies - you can find the Beemaster at:

N40.00.41
W74.18.42

http://www.confluencex.com/north40.jpg is a local map, and you can see how close I am to N40.

The BEST SITE (and I have mentioned this sooooo many times over the last year) is  http://www.confluence.org/ which is 1) my favorite website and 2) the most interesting collection of photos and stories I have ever read.

Give that site a try. Also, I have a site www.confluencex.com which is my project - it just never got off the ground. You can check it out, although it is fairly lame. Although the concept is interesting and it is a GREAT alternative to the Confluence Degree Project.

Let me know what you think and if you have any GPS adventures to share, I'd love to post them there.

Follow us on TWITTER

tejas
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2005, 10:40:13 PM »

Wow, geocaching sounds like a lot of fun. I have never heard of it before and after visiting the site it seems I have one located less than 1/4 mile from my home. I'll be looking for it this weekend.
Beth Kirkley
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2005, 08:01:08 AM »

Yeah, I found there's one just down at the local lake. Only 4 miles away. I'm interested, but don't have a GPS thing.

Beth

beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2005, 09:22:18 AM »

It is a lot of fun, I offered a post card sized high glossy card with a photo of the Hindenburg and a soil sample from the actual spot that the great ships Gondola came to rest just a mile North of my home.

The soil, which I still have some of was donated to me for a special Ham Radio Event I hosted back in the mid 1980s by the "Then Captain" of the base for "public Relations" purposes. Since then, the entire gondola resting spot (which is marked with large yellow stones - ask BigRog, he was there) is protected by an asphalt macadam, so getting soil samples is no longer a possibility.

But the thousands of certificates that I gave out in 1985 to hams around the world and the handful of postcard sized certificates I gave out for Geocachers is a very unique and well collectable historical item that made geocachers come out in numbers to find.

I hid the caches very well, but as mentioned above - they were in heavily wooded areas where deer-ticks were a real threat, so I stopped the caches all together. I found too that most of the people were grabbing up all the hindenburg cards, leaving the jar empty for the next person. So I had to leave a small business card sized coupon which the person could mail to me and I'd send them the Hindenburg soil sample - that fixed all problems.

I'm thinking about offering something to the members here involving the soil from the crash site - not sure what I'll do yet, but I have about 2 cups of soil left and what I did with the ham and geocaching cards was to place muslage glue on the cardstock paper, then sprinkle the refined soil sample on the card and after it dried, completely encase the soil in the muslage glue.

This made it very durable and you can touch it without worrying that it would fall off. The life span of the sample is practically limitless doing it this way and you get to touch the location where the greatest airship every to fly came to its final rest - still a pretty cool collectable.

Follow us on TWITTER

leominsterbeeman
House Bee

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2005, 02:26:48 PM »

Since we are on the global hunting theme.......

Check out the site from Google.  

http://www.keyhole.com

Zoom into your yard (or just about anyplace)  from  space.  

Take the 7 day free tryal and have fun with this tool.  You can put in locations by address,  Logitude, latitute,   I was playing with it for hours last night.

amymcg
House Bee

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2005, 09:15:36 PM »

Might be a good interesting way to get out and get a good walk in. smiley
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2005, 11:32:26 AM »

About the exercise levels of Geocaching - you nailed it. As mentioned in a previous post above of mine, you can literally be 500 hundred feet, but may need to walk two miles to get to it occording to terrain.

But the best part is that it is a real family event too and in a world where it is hard for parents and kids to find "Stuff" they can do together, Geocaching is a VERY good family game.

Basic GPS handhelds can go as little as $70 now and having two units is NOT a big investment and by splitting up and having 2 search tems looking for the treasure, you can have a very good time.

Best part is that you mark where you start from and can easily find your way back. Toss in a set of handheld radios and you have a day of fun and outdoor entertainment ahead.

Follow us on TWITTER

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next