I am a beek who is allergic. I am a second generation beek, and as a child, I was stung in the throat by a bumble bee that was looking to rob a hive my uncle and I were working. Later that same summer, I accidentally backed into a tree that had a hornet's nest, and was stung over 25 times along the length of my body, resulting in anaphylaxis and renal toxicity. Since then a single sting will result in a reaction ranging from severe swelling and redness, to full-blown allergic reaction with hives, itching, and breathing loss.
I always carry my epi-pens in the apiary, and usually some liquid children's benadryl as well, for the more mild stings. By the way, the correct dose of Liquid Children's Benadryl for an adult having a moderate allergic reaction (i.e. severe swelling but no hives or anaphylaxis) is 8 teaspoons. This equals 50mg of regular Benadryl. If you are having hives and itching, or trouble breathing, it is best to use the epi-pen and get medical help, IMHO. As stated repeatedly on this forum, one never knows when the allergy will take a nasty turn.
Take it from me...don't let allergies keep you from your bees. And all beeks would be wise to learn how to use the pen, for their own sake, and for the life they might one day save.