Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 25, 2014, 02:20:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: partial frames of honey  (Read 583 times)
octagon
House Bee

« on: August 25, 2008, 06:09:44 PM »

I needed room in a freezor a few days ago so i removed 4 partial frames of honey that i stored there when i combined a couple hives in June and set them in the garage. Apparently they thawed enough so the bees got wind of the honey although they're over a hundred yds from any hives. I just came home and there are probably five thousand bees in the garage. I went and got a cookie sheet and shook the bees off the frames one at a time and ran for the back door and went in the house, no bees were with me.
 the honey in these frames were from a hive that i treated with sugar and Terramycin.there's probably a qt of honey altogether. how bad could it contamonate my honey if i just put it out and let the bees clean it up now, I was going to feed it after i took off the honey supers.

I'm just thinking that bees are moving honey and pollen around all the time in the hive, there is already honey in the hive that was there when i treated.
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 10:37:01 PM »

Bees will rob honey from wherever they find it.  Leaving the frames exposed was a newbee mistake.  If there is a chance there was medication in those frames then it is now in the hives nad place in any open comb.  If you were getting ready to harvest you need to be aware that any frame with uncapped stores can not be harvested but honey can still be harvested by focusing on those frames that are 100 per cent capped.  These can include the storage frames in the brood chambers (trade frames around). 

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next