Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 20, 2014, 04:57:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: keeping bees out of the pool  (Read 1231 times)
tucsonbeegal
New Bee

« on: August 25, 2008, 12:24:53 PM »

Hello,
I live in Tucson, Arizona and just installed two nuke hives.  I put a large shallow container of water with rocks in it between and slightly infront of the two hives, but the pool 300 feet away was more attractive.  How do I encourage the bees to drink nearby and not go to the pool?
qa33010
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 10:51:49 PM »

They seem to love the chlorine in pools and probably any other chemicals that are there.  I have a bird feeder that I fill by pouring tap water in and they went for that last year like crazy also.  However this year, even though it's as grubby as it was last year I'm using air conditioner runoff water (pure) they like it but prefer the swimming pool.  I used tap water yesterday and today and they covered it and drained it.  Our tap water is pretty full of chemicals and tastes nasty but the bees love it.  Down the street a fellow beek has a fountian that they really like also. 

I also have a mineral lick from the farm and ranch store that they get on through out the summer.

Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)
Hayesbo
House Bee

My son. Almost 6 and loves helping me w/the bees

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 05:20:11 AM »

In my experience and also what I have seen in here, bees prefer their water to bee over 20 yards away. Others can be more specific. My water trays that I have put between the hives have never been visited that I can see but the always go to the water that collects in my dad's boat 50-75 ft away.

Lots of discussion here about the pools as a watering source. Might have to learn to swim with the bees.

Steve
tucsonbeegal
New Bee

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 11:42:58 AM »

Thanks, I will put another water source further away and see if that helps.  I have read that bees like water that is slimy and foul.  My tap water is well water and tastes wonderful - no wonder the bees are staying away.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next