Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 30, 2014, 08:55:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remembering VJ/VP Day August 15 1945  (Read 917 times)
mick
Queen Bee

« on: August 13, 2008, 09:50:02 PM »

63 years ago today, the Japanese swine surrendered.

Today we remember all those who died fighting for our freedom. We especially remember all those POWs, starved, beaten, tortured, beheaded and shot by the vile little bastards.

LEST WE FORGET
indypartridge
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 12:08:19 PM »

The more I read about the end of the war, the more I believe that I wouldn't be here if it hadn't been for the atomic bombs that were dropped.  The expected casualties for the invasion of Japan (Operation Downfall, Operation Olympic and Operation Coronet) would have almost certainly included my father, who served in the Pacific.

Sounds like you have some bitter memories, Mick.
HAB
HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 01:13:53 PM »

"WE WILL NEVER FORGET!!" the Fallen and Injured that have made such extreme sacrifice that we may live in freedom today.
HAB, Sgt. US Army Retired/Disabled
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 01:39:39 AM »

Nah, Im not bitter, we won! I just dont want future generations to forget how despicable they were.

2600 Aussie POWs were force marched on what became known as the "Sandakan Death Marches", 6 survived the ordeal by escaping. Thats just ONE event.

The Japs used to feed the POWs, one half of one matchbox of cooked rice per day, thats right, an amount the size of your thumb, if anything at all. After they had starved blokes for years, men went from 12 stone to 4 stone, they would beat them to a pulp, just for the fun of it. Sir Edward Dunlop (Weary Dunlop), The finest Australian that ever lived, would stand infront of these poor souls and tell the japs to beat him instead.

"Christ of the Burma railway" our diggers called him. When he died, 250,000 people lined part of the route that his coffin, borne on a Gun Carriage travelled. I have never seen anything like it, nor had anyone else.

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-heroes/weary-dunlop.htm

The atrocities committed by the Japs MUST NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 02:09:44 AM »

The more I read about the end of the war, the more I believe that I wouldn't be here if it hadn't been for the atomic bombs that were dropped.  The expected casualties for the invasion of Japan (Operation Downfall, Operation Olympic and Operation Coronet) would have almost certainly included my father, who served in the Pacific.

Sounds like you have some bitter memories, Mick.

You are correct, every man woman and child was willing to fight to the death with spears and pitchforks and whatever else they could get their hands on. I thank god for the Atomic Bomb.

Pity it was only two.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next