Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 21, 2014, 05:25:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: tecumseh lawnmower problem  (Read 3666 times)
Misko
New Bee

« on: August 14, 2008, 08:01:53 AM »

I have a 15 year old tecumseh lawnmower and a big problem.  grin It didn't work for 4 years so i decided that i will repar it. I cleaned the carbulator and it started evil But the motor was throwing out oil from the hole behind the carbulator and blowing blue smoke. The i noticed that there was to much oil and that there was water in the oil  Undecided Sad I changed the oil and tried one more time and there was no changes. My neighbor (a mechanic) said that it will stop so i started to lawn and the motor realy stoped  grin Now i can't start it any more  Undecided

I know that there are some good mechanics on this forum that can help me. I want to fix it my self just to learn more about these things.

We also have a new lawnmover a Husqvarna - R 152 SVH because we didn't want to invest more money into the old one. But as i said i want to repair it just for fun and to learn something new.

I surly hope you understand my problem.

Sory for my bad english.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 09:04:22 AM »

Not real sure what hole behind the carb you are talking about that would blow out oil.

Pull the spark plug and see if it is covered in oil. If it is the repair will be more than the cost of a new one.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Misko
New Bee

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 09:58:28 AM »

Hmm the spark plug is good but i had to clean it from time to time it wasn't oil it was just (I can't find the right word) black and ready for cleaning.

It's the part named chankcase breather.

i found the posible reasons for the problem

page 80

He's the manual for the motor http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf

Sory for my bad english.
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 03:50:02 PM »

Is it the breather on your valve cover?  Did you tip it on its side with this down?
If you did it will fill with oil and leak abit.  Pull the plug, put you finger over the plug hole and turn it over.  If you by chance have the plug wire close to your finger you will be able to omit the next test, checking for spark.  If you have compression and spark than it could one of 2 things. A bad plug or a sheared key on the flywheel which would change your timing.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 05:13:17 PM »

After seeing the first diagram I would have to say that too much oil will cause the oil to come out the hole. Also too much oil will possibly get past the rings and cause the blue smoke... and foul out the plug. Perhaps a new plug is in order.

Also, have you checked the gas tank for water?

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

Misko
New Bee

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 03:23:40 AM »

I have a spark. The breather is turned as it should be it's located  on the valve cover i think so. It throws out all the oil because i can't se any in the filling hole. What kind of plug are you talking about? There is no water in the gas tank but i am sure that is was.

Sory for my bad english.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 07:55:42 AM »

Plug = Spark plug. Sometimes even though you have cleaned it, checked the gap, and see sparks jumping across the gap, it just needs replacing.

Take the bowl off the bottom of the carburetor just to make sure there is no water in there.

Did you check compression? The oil going out that hole could also indicate bad piston rings and the "blow-by" (compression going past the rings) builds up pressure in the crank case.

Are you getting gas to the engine? Just because it started and ran for awhile doesn't mean something couldn't have plugged up the line or gotten into the carburetor.

Jerry

Misko
New Bee

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 09:31:56 AM »

Ok will change the plug. There is no water in the bowl because i checked that the first time. How do I check compresion? I will check if the motor is getting gas.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Small-Engines-Lawn-1746/2008/3/Oil-blowing-breather-tube.htm

Sory for my bad english.
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 10:03:42 AM »

How do I check compresion?
As I stated earlier take the plug out and plug the spark plug hole with your finger and turn it over.  A four stoke engine will pop your finger out and puff air on the compression stroke.    1st exhaust stoke the piston comes up with the exhaust valve open.  2nd the piston goes down with the intake valve open drawing new gas into the cylinder.  Intake valve closes and the piston come up compressing the fuel/air mixture.  This is when you will feel that puff of air with your finger on the spark plug hole.  After this stoke is the power stroke which means the spark plug fires and ignites the fuel.  If you dont feel compression with your finger, squirt alittle oil in the plug hole and try it again. If you now have compression your rings are shot.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 11:11:22 AM »

If it is a pull start mower it is easier if you have someone else pull the cord.

Jerry

Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 10:10:37 PM »

Older Tecumseh engines were almost always 2 stroke.  40:1 gas/oil mix.  Still need oil for the crankcase...hope you aren't missing that plug.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 01:42:08 AM »

Bobby Bare sings a great song about the tecumseh valley, is that the same tecumseh?
Misko
New Bee

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 03:32:37 AM »

No it's a 4-stroke engine. I will check the motor tommorow because we had some bad weather and we have to fix the roof at home and at the vineyard  angry

Sory for my bad english.
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 11:35:29 PM »

Bobby Bare sings a great song about the tecumseh valley, is that the same tecumseh?

If it's in Michigan, I'd say so.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Misko
New Bee

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 12:11:04 PM »

It has compresion. I replaced the spark plug with another one and lawnmover started but it turns of in a few seconds. I think i have to clean the carb because the lawnmover works only when i pump that "buble" on the carb. It starts like an old plane a big cloud of smoke and it make alot of noise.
But I stil don't get it why it blows oil.

Sory for my bad english.
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 12:51:03 PM »

Oil coming from behind carb:
If the mower sat a long time without use,the rings may have seized to the grooves in the cylinder,thus not making a good seal between the cylinder wal and piston.
If this is the case,some of the combustion pressure seeps by and creaytes a positive pressure in the crankcase.When this happens the crankcase becomes a pressurized oil reservoir that oil will make its way out of to any opening with a lower pressure on the other side.(As in the crankcase breather tube in the air cleaner box). In laymans terms it is called blowby which may ultimately require a new set of rings on the piston as long as the cylinder bore is in a good condition to accept new rings.
Shuts off:
As far as running a bit and shutting off,the float needle may be varnished from old gasoline and not allowing a sufficient flow to the carb to maintain engine operation.
asprince
Super Bee

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2008, 01:51:08 PM »

I concur with buzzbee' s comments. My experience with tecumseh engines: If they are new they run good but when they get worn out, they are difficult to keep running. Now, a Briggs and Straton on the other hand will run forever even if worn out.

Steve 

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next