Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 26, 2014, 01:48:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saftey warning signs or not?  (Read 5683 times)
1of6
House Bee

Always learning...

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2008, 01:08:00 PM »

"Only the Sith deal in absolutes."

That answer is probably somewhere in between.  Some of us have situations where a sign is warranted and proper.  Others don't have those requirements.  No use faulting someone for wanting to do the right thing.  That'd be like calling someone names for praying.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2008, 01:12:02 PM »

well....that's way to rational a response for this fun converstation....but, you are probably right.  there are probably some requirements for some people.  and some people do feel the urge to 'be responsible'.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Card
House Bee

Ken

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2008, 02:18:27 PM »

You know, there's a flipside to all of this...

If one of your bees is in your neighbor's yard, and the neighbor or his children get stung, then your bee will die as a result of stinging them, right?

So sue your neighbor for planting flowers in his or her yard, failing to secure aforementioned flowers, and thereby creating an attractive nuisance which led a poor innocent honeybee to his death - causing you significant emotional pain, and major financial losses.

"You will come to learn a great deal if you study the insignificant in depth." - Buckaroo Banzai
eri
House Bee

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2008, 03:09:33 PM »

Why waste words?  Wink

On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.
Moonshae
Field Bee

« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2008, 08:45:44 PM »

Local regulations notwithstanding, if I had beehives located at a "pick-your-own" farm, I'd put signs up. People could wander too close without noticing the hives, just looking around...I've seen plenty of oblivious people. It could also be informative to the curious, enticing them to look but not get too close. I'm not putting them in my backyard; I have .19 acres, both my next door neighbors know I have bees and think it's cool. No one goes into my backyard except me and my wife. I have some hives on some farms, and I don't put signs there, either. The farmer knows they are there, and no one else goes there.

"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2008, 08:57:32 PM »

Why waste words?  Wink

There's no need to point out that they can sting... again, all you have to post is 'bees'.  That's all I'm going to post.  That way no one will get the idea that they are dangerous, and people can be aware of them so they can keep their distance if they so choose.

I have to conceide that different situations require different measures.  There is at least one member on here who lives in a county in which it's illegal to keep bees, and in that case I certainly wouldn't put up signs (I'd still keep the bees by the way).  Or if your bees are well behind a fenced in area, I would have to agree that there's no need to post anything.  Or if you've got a lot of property with no trespassing signs up, and the hives are not near the property line, then I wouldn't put up signs in hopes that the bees WOULD sting trespassers.
dhood
House Bee

« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2008, 11:31:31 PM »

I put up one of the generic signs near the rear side of a beeyard facing the neighbor's property line, this beeyard is on my fathers land so I wanted to be cautious. And I would agree, the signs, along with the fact that they can visibly see the hives seems to make the neighbors weary. I wish I hadn't put it up, but now that it's done, I feel like taking them down now would be even more of a liability. If you don't already have them up, I would suggest a privacy fence. From my experience the neighbors don't seem to mind as much if they are not constantly reminded that they are there.

Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2008, 12:57:01 AM »

Now here is a question....

What if you don't have bees but someone gets stung on your property and has a really bad reaction?

Perhaps everyone should put up signs as bees could bee any where. My first sting was at age five in my Aunt's back yard. They were not beekeepers. Who knows where the bee came from.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Hayesbo
House Bee

My son. Almost 6 and loves helping me w/the bees

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2008, 05:37:21 AM »

To those of you who don't want to put up signs... if you truely believed that there wasn't anything wrong with keeping bees, why wouldn't you be willing to let others know you're doing it?

Anyone ever drive by a pasture or a gate over dirt track into the woods and see the sign that says "POSTED No hunting or fishing" ? You can see why someone would want to hunt either in the field or the woods. I always say to myself. "Ohh, they have a lake back there?? wonder if I know the owner, wonder what the lake looks like, wonder if there are any fish."

I fish maybe once a year but I always wish I could go more.  Those signs always make me wonder why they put a no fishing sign when you can't see a pond.

Steve
octagon
House Bee

« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2008, 08:31:44 AM »

To those of you who don't want to put up signs... if you truely believed that there wasn't anything wrong with keeping bees, why wouldn't you be willing to let others know you're doing it?

I just think it's anyones business what I'm doing on my property long as i'm not doing anything illegal to damage their property. My bees are registered because the law says they have to be, i don't sell honey, i don't remove swarms from houses and i'm not interested in buying anyones used hives, they are about 400 yds from anyones property so in my case, signs are unneccessary. i'm sure one of my labs would nip anyone in the rearend before they got near the hives anyway, they set out there and watch the bees more than i do. everyone that needs to know that i have bees knows it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next