Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 24, 2014, 07:40:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New DSL Service is Driving me Mad  (Read 1297 times)
Pond Creek Farm
Field Bee

« on: August 07, 2008, 09:36:36 PM »

We tried to get AT&T high speed at the farm for the third time now.  It still does not work.  Twice before they told me it would work and later said we are too far from a station.  I was encuraged to check back regularly as updates are continuously coming on line. This time I even asked a supervisor to check for me and I explained the prior issues.  I was assured all was well.  Wrong.  Same problem, but they promise to call tomorrow to help me fix this.  Their fix will be to wait.  I am going to pitch enough of a fuss this time that they promise to send techinician out to install it the next time they think it will work, and this will be at their expense. I hate it when businesses do not value my time.

Brian
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 09:47:30 PM »

do you have any phone lines to out buildings?  if you do, or have a lot of splits on your line, it will bleed off speed.  also, if you have a contract with them and they have made a mistake by hooking you up before they were ready, it's their problem to solve.  that's how i got DSL out my road. smiley

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
pdmattox
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 10:19:12 PM »

I had the same problem with at&t but now cost to me just my time not working. Here is what I'm doing with a verizon air card but can be done with a cell phone as well.
http://www.cradlepoint.com/mbr1000/mbr1000.php
Not sure if it will help but it did for us and we get broad band access.

SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 05:48:44 AM »

Ah the joys of living close to the central office.  Trouble is, if you're truely too far from the C.O., it's not just going to be a matter of waiting, it'll be a matter of never.  But it sounds to me more like you're borderline.  In all liklihood they COULD get it out to you if they had better equipment at the C.O... trouble is, upgrading to that better equipment will cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars at minimum for just one C.O..  They won't do that for just one or just a couple of customers... which is probably why they're keeping you waiting, because once enough customers are in place wanting to sign up for it, they'll upgrade.  But this is a wireless world now, and fewer people are interrested in wired technologies like DSL or Cable.  So it's likely that even if it were possible for them to get the equipment, it's more likely that they'll never bother to.

So your best bet might be to go wireless yourself like pdmattox suggested.  I recommend going through the phone and getting a voice/data plan with unlimited data useage.  It's usually a bit cheaper than the air card and you can use it for calls when you're not surfing the web.  Just make sure you have a good strong signal there... and I'm talking about an EVDO or 3G signal, too.  Not a 1xrtt or slower signals... else you're better off with dialup.  If you're REALLY lucky, you might find yourself in a Y-max area... in which case you should ditch DSL anyway.  Who wants to be wired to only get the same speeds you can get wirelessly?
randydrivesabus
Queen Bee

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 06:21:18 AM »

around here they have substations that you need to be in range of for dsl. they also market dsl tv so they made sure there are plenty of substations. but theres still no HD TV.
the tech who installed my dsl tv said that the wiring is critical to making it work right.
Bee-Bop
Field Bee

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 09:27:58 AM »

In Your area You are probably useing SWBT equiptment { Southwestern Bell } as a former SWBT employee I can state as fact, they are not going to improve their tel. cable system.

They want to do away with this out moded stuff, telephone poles, leaking cables { they are supposedly water proof } trucks, maintance, right of ways, employees { most done away with already, now useing contractors. The equipt has been tax depreciated out for years.

This is true of all phone co's.

A CELL TOWER on a 100 ft lot will cover many Sq. Miles, no wires, poles, right of ways, employees etc.

It's called Progress.   evil

Bee-Bop

" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 12:28:34 PM »

A CELL TOWER on a 100 ft lot will cover many Sq. Miles, no wires, poles, right of ways, employees etc.

Well... not NO wires, they have to have trunk lines running to them... well, unless they are just repeaters, but those don't increase the amount of traffic that can be handled on the main tower they are repeating to.
Pond Creek Farm
Field Bee

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 01:15:38 PM »

I can use my blackberry hooked up to the computer and have very high speed service.  the problem is that I have two kids that also want wireless high speed service, and I have little intention of getting them phone like mine and paying for their data usage. I need a wireless router that will allow the whole family to access it.  They got back with me today and said their engineers are looking into things and will call Tuesday.  I am holding out little hope of a resolution.

Brian
randydrivesabus
Queen Bee

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 02:50:05 PM »

can you get satellite internet where you are Brian? Not the outer space satellite but the kind they put on a tower and then you just need line of sight to it.
Pond Creek Farm
Field Bee

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 07:16:20 PM »

Bee-Bop was right on.  AT&T called and said their sales people were wrong, again.  They cannot provide service and will not for the foreseeable future.  We are in a bit of a valley (cut by the creek) and do not have line of sight to the tower that provides high speed in that fashion.  I am going to call around again, but I am afraid I know of no other options.  I am going to call around to the wireless folks and see what options they have for whole house networks.

Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next