Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 30, 2014, 09:33:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hunting for a swarm?  (Read 3384 times)
contactme_11
House Bee

« on: July 22, 2008, 12:42:46 AM »

I walk quite often around a resevoir in my area that is about a mile from an orchard. When walking I often smell honey very strong in one area of the woods near the water. I believe strongly there is a swarm residing in the bushes or trees or something but I've been unable to find it at this point. I would collect it but I just can't find it. Any tips for tracking this mystery hive?
Bill W.
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 12:52:30 AM »

Find foraging bees and watch where they fly.  It can be a real test of patience, but they go home eventually.

eri
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 01:36:07 AM »

This is an interesting step by step guide to beelining. Does sound as if it takes a lot of patience but would be fun to try.

http://www.savethehives.com/fbp/Beelining.html

On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 10:20:54 AM »

it's probably a hive in an old tree or something.  if you find it, do some research here on the removal forum.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
contactme_11
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 02:15:23 PM »

it's probably a hive in an old tree or something.  if you find it, do some research here on the removal forum.

That's what I'm figuring. I went back early this morning and walked around looking for bees foraging. I found several. They all looked to be feral but I couldn't see where they were going through all the bushes and trees. I think I got pretty close as the smell of honey was very strong in one spot I was standing.
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 03:45:48 PM »

If it is a bee tree,  I would suggest leaving it alone.    Set up a few swarm traps in the Spring to try and get a swarm from it. 

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

BGhoney
New Bee

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 01:01:48 AM »

Bee hunting is quite an art.  Some quick tips. Find bees Watering up, Sprinkle them with powdered sugar, and count how long it takes for them to show back up, Watering bees are making round trips back to the hive, and you can guage how far the hive is by clocking the return time.  Cant remember the turn around time sorry,.  I bought the Brushy Mt , Video on bee hunting, its not bad..Just haven't watched it in 2 years..
TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 01:34:37 AM »

If it is a bee tree,  I would suggest leaving it alone.    Set up a few swarm traps in the Spring to try and get a swarm from it. 

this is a good idea, this is what I do unless the tree is getting removed and the its time to get the chain saw out, I try to get them from the tree before its cut down unless it to high.

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 YEARS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next