Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 20, 2014, 04:59:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Minimum Entrance  (Read 573 times)
ArmucheeBee
Field Bee

« on: August 02, 2008, 10:26:44 AM »

I found my new queen yesterday and larvae are in the cells.  Smiley Most of the old comb from the cutout is honey bound.  Sad So I inserted the new foundation  h h f b f b f h f h and moved a couple frame of H to a top deep and put in some more Frames there.  I also put on a new screened bottom board and reduced my entrance to 1 inch by 3/4 due to the small size of this colony.  I fed for one full week and stopped yesterday.   Two questions:

1.  What is a minimum size for an entrance with a screened bottom?

2.  When you all talk about drawing out new comb on new Mann Lake 105, what is that time frame for drawing 1/2 frame, whole frame, etc?  I don't plan on opening again for several weeks so they can build up.  New bees should hatch in two weeks.  I smoked them yesterday for the first time and they did not like it, nor did I -- got stung for it!

Thanks for all the great info I have gotten, if only there was a forum of this caliber for everything.

Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants
rast
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 12:27:21 PM »

Entrance size with a SSB is what ever they can guard, pretty much, you just don't want a bunch of bees bunching up at the entrance trying to get in and out. I've seen an 1-1 1/2 work quite well a couple of times. Just helped a hive stop being robbed last week by reducing the entrance down to 1". It is a full deep and 3 filled in a medium and no problem right now @ 1 1/2". Top cover is ventilated also.
 The Mann Lake thing I know nothing about.
 I don't like smoke blown in my face either. Smiley I would probably slap you seeing as how I cant sting you. (Mohammed Ali, I am not grin)

Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next