Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 20, 2014, 04:05:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Handy Frame Stand for Beeyard  (Read 1001 times)
charlescfry
New Bee

« on: August 02, 2008, 08:57:50 AM »

I spent 15 minutes in the shop one rainy day and made what has to be my handiest beekeeping tool. Maybe this is obvious, but I thought I would pass it along...

For a while I have admired the "frame hangers" that hook over the edge of a super and have small rods projecting to hold frames outside the super. Nice idea, but I never managed to order one and I didn't like the idea of hooking on to a super. On the other hand, there never seems to be a good place to set down frames once I pull them. So...

Using a length of 1/4" (6 mm or so) mild steel rod (a couple dollars at the hardware) and a bench vice, I bent the rod in to a flattened "u" shape so the ends stick out about 6" and are just far enough apart to hold a frame. This took about 5 minutes and I used an empty frame to check the fit.

Next I took a length of 1/2" (13 mm) pipe and attached the metal holder to the top of the pipe. I welded mine together, but any secure attachment would work.

Finally I put a step on the pipe about 12" (30 cm) up from the bottom and hammered the bottom end of the pipe flat.

To use my frame stand, I just go to the hive I am working, stick the end of the pipe in the ground (using the step) and then place one to three frames on the hanger as I need. I made the pipe "about the right height" for me to inspect the frames without stooping over too much, so everything is right at eye level. When I want to move to another part of the bee yard, I pull the pipe out of the ground and relocate. Simple!

As a final touch I painted the thing bright orange so I don't lose it, then just leave it outside in the bee yard all the time. One less thing to carry back and forth.

If anyone wants more details, I guess I could take some measurements and pictures, but the entire thing really took 15 minutes to build. Try it - be you like it.

==================================
Charles Fry
Amateur Farmer & Entremanure
Fry Farms, Ohio, USA
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 10:08:23 AM »

Charles, that sounds like a wonderful invention.  I am the kind of person that has extreme difficulty following instructions on building stuff.  I, for one, would truly appreciate it if you would take some pictures.  In my mind's eye, I can "make" things 1000 times easier if I can see a picture.  A bunch of words is very difficult for me to sort out to attempt a build.  Please do this thing.  I think many other forum members would also appreciate it.  I know about where to put the frames, it is a dilemma for sure.  I always stand them on the ground, on the end beside another colony at the back, but then sometimes grass gets stuck to them and that bugs me.  I have never bothered to order a frame hanger, too much bother.  So, I would certainly love to build one of these (or ask my wonderful Husband) to build it for me, bring it on dude!!!  Have the most wonderful day, love life.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next