Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 18, 2014, 10:01:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tell me of . . .  (Read 1591 times)
Pond Creek Farm
Field Bee

« on: July 29, 2008, 11:05:36 PM »

I must admit that I really enjoyed telling Cindi about my home, and I thought how much I  would like to hear about where everyone else lives.  We are all so connected to where we live, and the land becomes part of who we are.  I'd love to read about how that plays out in my friends on this forum.  Tell me of . . . (wherever you call home).

Brian
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 10:06:52 AM »

Brian, I think that this is a beautiful thread that you have created, I am not going to respond now, because it is going to take a fair amount of time to describe my place in the world.  You were right, I (and I know that many, many others) totally enjoyed their experience as you took us all in our mind's eye to your part of the world.  It was indeed a beautiful experience.  You will have set a trail, a trail for us to follow and listen and enjoy.  Others will chime in to speak of their beautiful little places in our beautiful world.  This is going to be a wonderful trip.  Have that most beautiful and awesomely great day.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
charmd2
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 02:21:16 PM »

Brian,

Hmm.  Reread your post.  It pretty much describes my area as well.   You did a wonderful job. 

Charla Hinkle
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 06:08:43 PM »

Brian, I live in central PA. It is semi rural,not too far fronm town.(6 or 7 Miles)
We get rain sun ,hot, cold and sometimes just right. Here is a earlier post from a while back.
Most of the time though we think it is just right for raising a family!!
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,6924.0.html

My home is the last photo.
Pond Creek Farm
Field Bee

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 10:12:19 PM »

Ken that looks wonderful. What are the hills in the backround?  That is just what the Ozark foot hills look like.  I loved the shots of the various seasons.

Brian
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 10:46:45 PM »

ANd looking around from the front door:
Some other photos:Looking out my front door:

Southwest from side porch:

Southwest from road

South from road:

Southeast from road:

Pond Creek,I believe these are part of the Allegheny mountains,We are just to the South of where Pine Creek flows into the West Branch of the Susquehanna River.
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 11:18:57 PM »

I live in the deep south of Louisiana, I live in a suburb of New Orleans and we hope that each hurricane season we won't get a category 5, Katrina hit us as a 3 but brought lots of tornados.

We own 20 acres in Brookhaven, Ms, and this is right up my alley as I have always been a country boy at heart, been hunting for many yrs now in my state and Ms.

My wife is of Cuban descent but she was born in Long Island, New York, she lived on the water and loves it when we go to the gulf and Florida.

Some pics:

This was right down the street after katrina:

This was a neighbor on the next block:

After Katrina we would go once a week down the street for ice and food packets, the national guard distributed. There was hardly anything open, it was rough for a while:

A gutted house in a nice section of New Orleans about 7 miles from where I live, this area had 9 feet of water:

This is my wife Liz, I told you she loves the beach!

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 11:28:49 PM »

i live in NW oregon at the base of Mt Hood.  i can see the mountain out my back door smiley.  8 or 9 months of the year we have snow and rain.  we live for the warm dry months smiley  rural, but not as much as it used to be.  Gresham is the biggest close town, then Portland.  the "city" of Sandy is not so bad.  it has grown quite a bit in the years i have lived here.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 06:47:31 AM »

Looks like we all take the best with the bad where we live. JP,we get an occasional tornado in our parts,drenching rains in the mountains causes a lot of trouble,but I would never want to live through the hurricanes you guys have to face on a  too regular basis. I know it is a little easier growing up with it but it is never "easy".
KathyP ,you definitely have some nice country where you are,too often we overlook what surrounds us.
 Have a great day everybody!!

JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 09:47:32 AM »

Ken, I think its cool you don't have a fence and love the mountain in the background. I do see you get your share of water!

Kathy, what is snow exactly? Beautiful horses and granddaughter!!

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 10:47:36 AM »

oh, sorry.  that's my niece.  my granddaughter is a hellish little blond.  i'll have to see if i have a picture of her on here smiley

here they are.  looks like she still has breakfast on her face.  shocked

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
woodchopper
House Bee

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 06:20:54 PM »

Ann and I live 25-30 miles South of Boston but I still call our house in So. Maine "My Home". I've spent a good portion of my life within 30 miles of that house and know the area very well.  It's 1hr and 50 minutes North of us but it's a world apart. So quiet up there we both sleep like logs whenever we spend the weekend.
 When I bought the house in 1990 the town was very rural and it bothers me a little to see all the old farmers fields with housing developments in them now. At least most of the land around us won't be developed any time soon because there's alot of wetlands.
 There's something nice about rototilling  your garden on Friday night and seeing moose tracks in the freshly turned soil on Sunday afternoon. Nice place to live and a great location for five of our hives. grin

Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next