Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Moving bees  (Read 1064 times)

Offline davchr

• New Bee
Moving bees
« on: July 27, 2008, 03:49:23 PM »
I have a colony of feral bees in an irrigation control box next to my house.  I want to move them about 300 yards into a hive box with my other hives.  Can I just put them into the new hive box and move them, box and all?

Dave Christensen
Fallbrook, CA

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Robo's World
Re: Moving bees
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 09:25:23 PM »
The safest route would be to move them into a hive and then move the hive at least 3 miles away for a couple of weeks.   Then you can move them back with your other hives.  A 300 yard move is going to cause issues with the foragers returning to the old location.  You can place weeds/brush or other obstacles in front of the entrance to try and cause them to reorient themselves, but this is hit or miss.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Moving bees
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 08:06:53 AM »
300 yards is a pretty long ways for a short move.  In other words, a short move is one where they can easily fly back to the old location (less than a mile and a half).  They will have to circle until they find their way back.  100 yards or so this isn't too bad.  300 is pushing it.  But they will find their way eventually.  I usually figure anything over 100 yards is pushing it.  I never had the luxury of a place to put them that was more than a couple of miles away and convenient, until recently, so that was never a choice.  But certainly, if you have such a place available, I'd use it.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin