Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 28, 2014, 05:13:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Outside temps when checking hives?  (Read 813 times)
homer
House Bee

« on: February 01, 2009, 12:00:17 PM »

I have one overwintering hive and I want to open it up sometime and check on the honey stores that are left.  It is supposed to get up to about 40 degrees here on Tuesday...Is that warm enough to check or do I need to wait for warmer weather?   I seriously doubt that any brood rearing will be going on as we still have lots of winter left.  I just don't know how long it will be till we get another day that is anywhere close to 40 degrees.

Thanks
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 12:03:12 PM »

i don't usually open mine until it's + 40.  under 50 or so, it's just to pop the top and check sugar on inner cover.  if they are not flying, i don't open it for a check.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
DaveKow
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 01:55:58 PM »

It is 40 and sunny here today and I snuck a quick peak at both of them.  They both seemed OK.  I assume that they were rearranging.  One has a whole super that they have barely touched.  The other I had to do the sugar on top of frames, because I feared they were out of food.  It seems they haven't touched the sugar, but I couldn't see underneath to see what was going on.
tlynn
Field Bee

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 04:49:52 PM »

I read somewhere or maybe it was on a test that the min temp for doing a full inspection was 60F.  That's a full inspection.
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 08:56:01 PM »

You don't have to open a hive to lift it.  You don't have to fully inspect a hive to open it.  If the bees are flying you can easily pop the top and take a look or pry the top box loose and lift it to see if it's got honey in it...

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next