Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 24, 2014, 12:19:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: And it begins  (Read 5353 times)
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2008, 10:17:38 AM »

SgtMaj I told her if it keeps up I would go after personally with a law suit.

And you should go after her. I get sick and tired of teachers who think that since they have a captive audience they are some how allowed to get on their very own personal soap box and indoctrinate the students into their personal belief system.  I can not tell you how many times in college I had to endure some Jack you know what spew his/ or her own beliefs out to the class and we had to sit there and take it.
Teachers are there to teach the students what ever class they happen to be teaching history, French, trig, what ever not to push political or other views

Keith
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2008, 11:30:42 AM »

SgtMaj I told her if it keeps up I would go after personally with a law suit.

Good.  Now we just need more like you to keep the rest of our teachers honest.
Pond Creek Farm
Field Bee

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2008, 06:44:54 PM »

Not to be difficult, but what would be the basis of the suit?  How would you keep it in court, and what would you seek for relief? I am in plenty of lawsuits, and I find that they rarely solve problems; they only address specific events.

Brian
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2008, 03:29:49 AM »

Not to be difficult, but what would be the basis of the suit?  How would you keep it in court, and what would you seek for relief? I am in plenty of lawsuits, and I find that they rarely solve problems; they only address specific events.

Slander/Defamation of character...

Lawsuits are pretty limited in that monetary compensation is mostly all you can get... but that's ok.  Let her drag her sorry butt down to court for a day to try and explain herself to a judge, then have to write a check for any amount, it's worth it.  Even if she pays little more than enough to cover the court costs. 
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2008, 07:18:08 AM »

"What's next — security guards at the door saying 'You're overweight, you can't have a cheeseburger'?" Casana said

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080729/ap_on_he_me/fast_food_ban

Los Angeles wants to take bite out of fast food By CHRISTINA HOAG, Associated Press Writer
 23 minutes ago

In the impoverished neighborhood of South Los Angeles, fast food is the easiest cuisine to find — and that's a problem for elected officials who see it as an unhealthy source of calories and cholesterol.

The City Council was poised to vote Tuesday on a moratorium on new fast-food restaurants in a swath of the city where a proliferation of such eateries goes hand-in-hand with obesity.

"Our communities have an extreme shortage of quality foods," City Councilman Bernard Parks said.

The aim of the yearlong moratorium, which was approved last week in committee, is to give the city time to try to attract restaurants that serve healthier food.

The California Restaurant Association says the moratorium, which could be extended up to two years, is misguided.

Fast food "is the only industry that wants to be in South LA," said association spokesman Andrew Casana. "Sit-down restaurants don't want to go in. If they did, they'd be there. This moratorium isn't going to help them relocate."

The proposed ban comes at a time when governments of all levels are increasingly viewing menus as a matter of public health. Last Friday, California became the first state in the nation to bar trans fats, which lowers levels of good cholesterol and increases bad cholesterol.

It also comes as the Los Angeles City Council tackles issues beyond safety, schools and streets. The council last week decided to outlaw plastic bags.

Fast-food restaurants have found themselves in the frying pan in a number of cities. Some places, including Carmel-by-the Sea and Calistoga, have barred "formula" restaurants altogether; others have placed a cap on them — Arcata allows a maximum of nine fast-food eateries; others have prohibited the restaurants in certain areas, such as Port Jefferson, N.Y., in its waterfront area.

Most initiatives were designed to preserve a city's historic character. The Los Angeles bid is one of few that cite residents' health.

The mounting pressure has caused chains to insert healthier food choices in their menus. McDonalds offers salads and low-fat dressings; Burger King stocks Kids Meals with milk and apple pieces.

That's why the restaurant industry says it's unfair to blame them for fat people.

"What's next — security guards at the door saying 'You're overweight, you can't have a cheeseburger'?" Casana said.

But public health officials say obesity has reached epidemic proportions in low-income areas such as South Los Angeles and diet is the key reason.

According to the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, 30 percent of adults in South Los Angeles area are obese, compared to 19.1 percent for the metropolitan area and 14.1 percent for the affluent westside. Minorities are particularly affected: 28.7 percent of Latinos and 27.7 percent of blacks are obese, compared to 16.6 percent of whites.

Perry says that's no accident. South LA residents lack healthy food options, including grocery stores, fresh produce markets — and full-service restaurants with wait staff and food prepared to order.

A report by the Community Health Councils found 73 percent of South L.A. restaurants were fast food, compared to 42 percent in West Los Angeles.

If the moratorium is passed, Perry wants to lure restaurateurs and grocery retailers to area.

Rebeca Torres, a South Los Angeles mother of four, said she would welcome more dining choices, even if she had to pay a little more. "They should have better things for children," she said. "This fast-food really fattens them up."

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
indypartridge
Queen Bee

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2008, 07:31:12 AM »

Quote from: SgtMaj
Lawsuits are pretty limited in that monetary compensation is mostly all you can get... but that's ok.  Let her drag her sorry butt down to court for a day to try and explain herself to a judge, then have to write a check for any amount, it's worth it.  Even if she pays little more than enough to cover the court costs. 
Unfortunately, I've had more experience with lawyers and the judicial system than I care for. Chances are, it wouldn't be "worth it".  First, you hire a lawyer ($$) who draws up and files papers ($$). The the school district lawyer responds (note: teacher hasn't paid a dime), the the lawyers begin filing more papers ($$). Judges are busy, and will push very hard for the lawyers to reach an out of court settlement. More talking ($$). The Judge might direct you to mediation, then you get to pay not only your lawyer's hourly fee ($$), but that of the mediator ($$$$). After several hours ($$$), when both your lawyer and the mediator make it clear to you that: 1) going to trial will require many more billable hours ($$$$$); 2) that "slander and defamation of character" are difficult to prosecute; 3) that even if you win, the teacher will likely get reprimand and not much more; and 4) that you are very unlikely to recover any of your costs; THEN you realize that you've spent thousands of dollars that you could have spent on bee stuff.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2008, 10:39:07 AM »

Here is someones point of view. Dr. Jonny Bowden  seems to think there sould be food regulations to protect us.

But he admits,

Eating well -- eating real food, slow food, home-cooked food, food that could be hunted, fished, plucked or gathered and shunning the 'food products" the economy runs on is never going to become official food policy. Even if it were, the economics of doing so puts it out of the reach of the majority of people on the planet. Eating well is a revolution that's going to have to be fought one household, one table, one meal at a time.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/20080729/cm_huffpost/115126

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2008, 11:41:57 AM »

First off it is not about money. I just want them to stop with there personnel attacks on hard working people who provide them with there wood and paper they use. And do the job they are paid to do.

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 12:52:43 PM »

and the idea that poor people can't eat well is crap.  go to wal-mart.  a bag of soup beans is 1.50.  a whole chicken, while more expensive than it used to be, can be had for 5 or 6 bucks.  albertsons has whole chickens for .88 a pound.  with that, you can make a weeks worth of good soup.  bread can be purchased from the day old rack at 1/2 the price.  outlet stores have cheep cereal and dented cans.  those same stores have blemished veggies and outdated bagged salad.

the primary reasons for ongoing poverty are poor decision making and laziness.  you can not cure either by giving people money and making decisions for them.  cut them loose and let them find that it's far easier to be successful than to be poor.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2008, 01:41:41 PM »

Boy Kathyp you hit the nail on the head with that one. For example I got a chicken for 5.49 did a beer can chicken can of corn 50 cents bag of spud's 2.69. The next day the wife made chicken noddle soup that we had for two days.Chicken lasted three day's.

Bill W.
House Bee

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2008, 01:57:25 PM »

I have never feared more for the future of this country than in the last few years.  The reason?  I entered college.  I'm in my 30s, and had not previously attended college.

My experience so far has been that colleges are just chock full of people who think uncritically of law and authority and who think any problem they experience should be solved by legislation.  By and large, these people also cannot read and write fluently and, as a result, cannot think fluently.  The vast majority will support any law that restricts the rights of the individual for the "good of society."

I am frightened on a daily basis.  If I could get any farther from civilization, I would.

Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2008, 02:17:24 PM »

Bill I could not agree with you more it was absolutely amazing how smart I found out I already was when I attended college. The universities are flush with morons. Modern academia is made up of people who could not function in the real world of how things truly work so they choose to get govt jobs where most cannot be fired from tenure and the such. From their lofty perch they then go on to speak down to us common folk who they think just do not get it. how could some one with out a string of consonants behind their name understand what is right and wrong in the world, much less fix it. So they take it upon themselves to try to "fix" our lives for us. Many many days I wanted to puke when I left class. its little wonder why college kids love the cocktails heck they need em to be able to dilute the crude being filled into their brain.

Keith
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2008, 02:44:48 PM »

parents teach kids how to read, how to play music.  they pay for dancing and swim lessons, and spend "quality time" with them...after work...before bed....

they do not realize that teaching critical thinking is the most important thing.  they do not teach them to analyze actions, decisions, and consequences. they do not teach the value of earning for what you want.  worst of all, they do not allow them to fail. we must learn to fail and recover in order to be successful.

it wouldn't hurt to let them get dirty and banged up sometimes.

you should be afraid.  those kids are the future.  their malleable minds are being shaped by the dropouts of the 60's.  a few will wake up to reality.  many more will not.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pond Creek Farm
Field Bee

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2008, 06:05:07 PM »

Slander/Defamation of character...

Not likely at all.  It is expensive to go to court, and defamation cases are very difficult to win.  The better approach is to sit down with her and change her impression of loggers if not logging.  The logging industry does a lot to make sure that it sustains itself.  Perhaps you could point some of those things out and see if there are ways to show the kids that all loggers are not bad loggers.  Draw a line in the sand, however, and you will never convince her to do anything differently.  Bureaucrats rarely respond well to threats, but they often can be manipulated.

Brian
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2008, 06:06:22 PM »

This thing is growing. Here is a video,

Should Congress protect kids from food ads?
http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/index.php?cl=9033260

Jerry

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2008, 06:43:08 PM »

Perhaps you could point some of those things out and see if there are ways to show the kids that all loggers are not bad loggers.

we call them tree huggers for a reason.  they have literally chained themselves to trees in the forest, spiked trees and caused injury to loggers, blow up and vandalized equipment.  it is a religion and it is strong here in oregon and washington.  you can only reason with reasonable people.

it is the same mentality that advocates a higher gas tax to keep people from driving, closing down irrigation to save some mud sucking fish, and regulating fast food restaurants to keep people from getting fat. 

it does not matter who is hurt.  it's all for the good of the planet-spotted owl-you  name it....as long as it's not good for people and commerce.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pond Creek Farm
Field Bee

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2008, 10:07:32 PM »

I understand that, but is Irwin sure she is such a radical or is she simply a big mouth?  My recommendaiton is as an alternative to a lawsuit which itself would be bound to fail.  Litigation is one thing I know very well, and I have learned that it truly solves nothing. It sometimes is unavoidable and it has its place in society, but almost never as a first resort.  If, after you have tried to be nice, you find she is a radical tree-hugger who is filling the youth with poisin, have her removed.  Waste no time with silly lawsuits or confrontation that has no yield. Go to the principal after making good documentation and then to the school board.  Come with concern, not accusations, and come with evidence of this transgression and others. A lawsuit of defamation over telling a third grader that loggers tear up the forrest does nothing more than ensure that whoever brought that suit is marginalized and ignored as a lunatic to the right.

Brian
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2008, 11:35:37 PM »

i would not suggest suing either.  especially  not a teacher. she'd have the money of the union behind her.  suing the school district would be equally useless.  the better solution, and the thing that really makes schools pay attention, is to keep kids out of public schools.  they have forgotten that they work for us and we pay their way.  when our kids are not in public school, they lose money.  since we can't seem to control them any other way, taking away money is the best bet.  also supporting school choice so that our tax dollar do not  have to be spent in a failing monopoly.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pond Creek Farm
Field Bee

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2008, 01:05:44 AM »

I concur.  My kids go to a private school, but I still must pay the tax levy for the public school.  I need to learn if under our law, the school gets the same money as if my boys attended.  The private school may not totally solve the problem, because I cannot be sure that every teacher there shares my political views of keeping the government and others out of my business, but I at least have a voice.  In a public school situation (at least here) my voice would at best be ignored.  At worst, I would be made the vilan for disagreeing with  academia.

Brian
Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2008, 09:46:47 AM »

This is what I have done so far first I talked to teacher second to the principal third to the school board. I am not the only person that has done this. School is out now on summer break. So we are waiting to see what the new school year will bring.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next