bee sting to the scalp and swollen lymph nodes?

(1/2) > >>

marliah:
Just curious could a bee sting to the scalp cause swollen lymph nodes 24-72 hours after the sting?

I got stung a couple days ago (not to self, weeding the garden right next to the beehive and having bright pink hair do not mix well) and had an aweful headache for about 3 hours, which them subsided with only minor itching where the sting occured. But last night woke up to a dull ache in my neck and I have a lump near my hairline that is sensitive (I'm assuming a lymph node).

Is this a typical reaction to a bee sting? or should I be concerned? if it is a typical thing, how long should I expect that soreness and inflammation to last?

Thanks in advance!

Bill W.:
I have managed to avoid being stung on the head, but I imagine this is normal.  Your immune system is mobilizing lymphocytes to respond to the toxins.  In addition, the toxins are bursting a large number of your cells and the remains must drain from your tissues via the lymphatic system.  Both can cause swelling of the lymph nodes.

Beaver Dam:
I've been a keeper for a little over a year now. My stings vary. Normaly if I get it on the hand, arm, waist area, I just have a little puffyness and itching like crazy for about 6 hours. Hell, I got bit by a rattlesnake and didn't swell as much as some times when I'm hit on the hand. If I'm playing with the girls and I don't get it once or twice I haven't played long enough. :-D

abates99:
Quote from: Bill W. on July 23, 2008, 08:21:06 PM

Your immune system is mobilizing lymphocytes to respond to the toxins.  In addition, the toxins are bursting a large number of your cells and the remains must drain from your tissues via the lymphatic system.  Both can cause swelling of the lymph nodes.

Well said!!

qa33010:
   Yes it can, does and will.  Just remember the lymph nodes don't go back down immediately, it can take a while.  So I have experienced.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page