Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 26, 2014, 06:12:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ? about top entrances  (Read 577 times)
WV Hillbilly
New Bee

« on: July 23, 2008, 01:16:32 PM »

All of my hives are double deep with wooden inner covers & telescoping outer covers . I keep a stick of wood on the front of the inner cover which keeps the outer cover propped up for ventilation . I have never seen any bees coming or going out from under the front of the outer cover although there is plenty of room . Why wouldn't the bees use this space as a top entrance ? The outer covers doesn't fit all that tight & if they are slid all the way forward there is a gap between the hive body & the inside of the outer cover that the bees could easily get through if they wanted to . Also , could I cut a notch in the rim on top of the inner cover & get adequate ventilation without propping the outer covers up with sticks ?
Steve M.
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 01:55:30 PM »

My setup is similar....2 deeps and a medium super right now.  I have the inner cover propped open with an entrance reducer, then a telescoping outer cover.  I too have never seen any of my bees use this "upper entrance" even though it seems like they would.

--Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next