Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 30, 2014, 03:35:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: laying worker with queen?????  (Read 747 times)
wildbeekeeper
House Bee

« on: July 20, 2008, 12:41:50 PM »

I had hived a swarm back in mid June and after a couple of weeks found out that they were queenless and I had laying workers.  So I ordered a queen, did the whole dump all the bees about 150 ft away routine and placed the queen in the hive with new foundation, a frame of capped brood from another hive and drawn comb.

Now nearly a month later I did a check and I see what looks like Drone brood but the cells arent as big as what I saw with the laying workers.  I did find the queen and she is doing well and I even saw her laying single eggs in empty cells. but on another frame

So below are three pictures.  the first is from one side of the frame and the other two are of the opposite of same frame.

Any suggestions as to what to do or what I am lookimg at?   I did notice there is a very large abscence of live Drones in the hive.  THanks!

Moonshae
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 05:52:21 PM »

Are all the frames like this, or just this one? The bees will raise drones if they feel it's appropriate, especially if you gave them starter strips. Is there any worker brood capped in the hive?

It's possible your queen has run out of sperm and can only lay unfertilized eggs. Seems unlikely with a new queen, though.

"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 06:54:35 PM »

If they all look like that, then yes, you seem to have a drone layer.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
wildbeekeeper
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 08:08:21 PM »

there is only one frame like this....and only 2 others that have partial comb on foundationless frames... the other frames have foundation that they are just starting t build on.  I was thinking they are just making drones but not sure...and they havent killed the queen as I thought they would if there were still a laying worker in the hive.
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 01:41:03 AM »

there is only one frame like this....and only 2 others that have partial comb on foundationless frames... the other frames have foundation that they are just starting t build on.  I was thinking they are just making drones but not sure...and they havent killed the queen as I thought they would if there were still a laying worker in the hive.

I'm sure I saw a few worker cells in amoungst the drone cells, so I would say you have a queen that is failing or a young queen that wasn't "fully" mated.  I would remove her, probably into a nuc, and replace with another queen.  The reason I would place the suspect queen in a nuc is that it might be she has a problem getting her plumbing working right to begin with.  I've seen newly mated queens start out as drone layers and then in a month or so hardly lay drones at all.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next