Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 20, 2014, 04:28:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting the bees  (Read 904 times)
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« on: July 18, 2008, 11:57:44 AM »

I did a removal last evening from a fallen treee suspended over a stream. The hive was big. I removed all of the honey and wax, but i found almost no brood. Just two frames worth, barely. i put frames in hive body, gathered as many bees as i could and left hive on top of fallen tree. I will go back today. i doubt i got queen. Soo. I have two caged queens for splits. Should i use one as bait for bees. put her in hive, catch as many bees again and leave over nite again? The hive was also infetsed w/ wax worms. About 6lbs of bees werre still left in tree as i couldn't sweep them up either.

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
timdalyiii
House Bee

Bee Cool

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 12:09:13 PM »

Approximatly how may swarms do you get a year and what do you do with them?
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 02:25:36 PM »

Approximatly how may swarms do you get a year and what do you do with them?
I got one the last two years, but got about 50 calls this year so far. I try to hive them succesfully and I hope to use their genetics in queen rearing for hardy local queens. Right now, i just look at them in my backyard daily! the best part of beekeeping!

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 02:50:30 PM »

I did a removal last evening from a fallen treee suspended over a stream. The hive was big. I removed all of the honey and wax, but i found almost no brood. Just two frames worth, barely. i put frames in hive body, gathered as many bees as i could and left hive on top of fallen tree. I will go back today. i doubt i got queen. Soo. I have two caged queens for splits. Should i use one as bait for bees. put her in hive, catch as many bees again and leave over nite again? The hive was also infetsed w/ wax worms. About 6lbs of bees werre still left in tree as i couldn't sweep them up either.

Seth, I have been doing quite a few removals lately just as you described, they may be queenless or with a virgin queen. Lots of these colonies are low in number from swarming and the lack of brood could be from a virgin queen or one that didn't make it back.

You could use one of your queens for the bees you removed, varify that you don't have queen from the removal for certain though.

The bees that remain on the tree you could lure with a bait hive.

Good luck!

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next