I visited my hive, too, to wish them a happy new year. Of course, they're only 50 yards from the house, so it wasn't a long trip. :)
But we have had unusually nice weather here in Upstate NY, so, seeing as the weather is in the 40s and 50s, I added a quart of syrup for the girls. I noticed only a few dead, and while I watched, a couple of bodies were carried out.
The biggest problem was that the hive was listing a bit--I guess the ground sank under the cinder blocks. So I corrected that with another block. Generally, though, the nive seems strong.
I'm using a SBB, and only essential oils and drone brood removal for mite control. With the new packages in spring, I'll be putting them on 4.9 foundation for additional mite control. I'm really, really trying to stay as organic as possible.