Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 19, 2014, 01:48:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UGH, I'm allergic to something.  (Read 1881 times)
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« on: July 10, 2008, 08:37:31 AM »

So the other day I was out mowing the lawn, when I felt like I got sprayed by hot oil on my right arm.  No marks showed up though, and I didn't see any bugs on my arm.  But now my skin is crawling.  I have spots of little raised bumps that itch like all get out, and some are oozing clear liquid... and now I'm starting to feel just plain sick like nautious and rundown.  I googled the symptoms and found it to be a classic allergic reaction.  UGH!  The really bad thing is I have no idea what got me.  I don't think it was a bee though, I think maybe a plant the mower went over, or perhaps a beetle that sprayed me with some chemical or something.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 04:29:10 PM »

benadryl and vagisil.  smiley  or...if the skin is breaking open, you might want to try a wash with tree tea oil in it....or some triple AB cream.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 08:17:27 PM »

Going with benedryl and campho phenique (sp?) as a topical ointment... The campho penique is supposed to work specifically on poison oak, ivy, and summac, and after looking up what sumac looks like I belive that may be the culprit, I have a lot of something that looks just like most of the summac pics growing along a fence line, and I did run over some of it with the mower, but I've done that before and never had a problem with it... so the other possibility in my mind is maybe poison ivy. 
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 10:08:14 PM »

Here were are on the Beemaster's Forum and everybody is forgetting about the best topical ointment out there--Honey.  Antibacterial, anti-itch, and plyable.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 02:29:13 AM »

Will it work to attack the oils in poison oak/ivy/summac that are causing all this?
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 09:24:32 AM »

what might have worked, would have been an immediate vinegar and water wash.  nothing will help now because it's already been absorbed into the system.  all you can do is treat the symptoms.

Don't Scratch!!   evil

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
KONASDAD
Super Bee

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 10:15:09 AM »

plantain weed. Works for all types of skin issues. It worked on my poison ivy lasy year pretty darn well.

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 03:21:06 PM »

"Always scratch it when it itches,
Even when its in your Britches"
                >unknown, except maybe from my dad

your friend,
john

beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 03:43:43 PM »

I'm alway leary of Yellow Jackets, of course if they sting you, you know it. I have excessive (by most sting standards) swelling from them, no anaphalaxis at all, but as Pink Floyd says so well "my hands felt just like two balloons" which was an understatement.

Getting sprayed though (if it was something like that) is something I never dealt with, lucky me I guess. Been through Neurological Lymes (right to the spinal cord and to the brain version - rare but most often physically and mentally debillatating) I got lucky and only have some short term memory and often I use the wrong NOUN when describing stuff - literally, I'll look at a toaster and have to think of what it is called. Luckily, that is as bad as I got, many people have paralasys, stroke like symptoms, horrible ticks and twitches. Regular lymes is bad and untreated can be horrific, but Neurological (use to be called Lymes Mennengitis) can be real killer.

So those insects we deal with every time we wonder in the yard or woods can be deadly or crippling. I've read yellowjack venom (ounce for ounce) is as strong as rattlesnake, the only worse common creature is the brown recluse spider which is a flesh eater bacteria - I've seen videos of treated and untreated people after being bitten by them and it is sickening how fast flesh can die away from their bite.

Honey as a topical against itch is a good one, I've had some severe poison Ivy before, from my hand to my shoulder and NOTHING feels better than scratching poison ivy (it is in a world of pleasure of its very own) but of course nothing makes it spread faster. Getting honey on there to kill surface air from allowing bacteria to spread stops the crawling feeling and does help the spread. I was told once by my mentor that if you add a good squirt of ORA-GEL cream to the honey, it kills the itch all together, numbs the area and the honey gets a much better heal time before you start itching again.

Best wishes to everyone in the yard, it is so strange that something so small that you can't see it has greater distructive power that a run-away truck. At least the truck, you MIGHT be able to dive out of the way of, you don't even know when the garden critters can change your life, and often it is our pets that bring them in, you don't even have to leave the couch - ugh.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 08:54:54 PM »

I am relatively certain now that it is poison ivy.  Benedryl helps a lot, but only lasts so long, and makes me drowsy when I take enough to wipe out the itch and make the bumps go down.

Calamine lotion also seems to help when held to it for extended periods with gauze.

I'm going to have to find the poison ivy and kill it though.  I think I'll kill it with boiling water, as that's guaranteed to kill anything it's poured on, but has no lasting toxicity... but I'll have to make sure to stay upwind so the steam from it doesn't re-apply the poison ivy oils to me. 
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 05:52:13 PM »

Well I confirmed that it's poison ivy... guess my immunity to it wore off... found 4 poison ivy plants in the yard without hardly looking.  I'm boiling water now to pour on them.
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 04:11:04 AM »

It's official, I am an idiot! 

I'm helping my neighbor build a birdhouse, and to show his appreciation, he brought his riding mower over to help me mow my lawn today... well most of the way through, he pointed out to me a poison ivy plant growing up on one of the fence posts.  Sure enough, that's what it was.  Well, this particular poison ivy plant was suffering from a bad case of rust, just like my apple tree, and so it was that I didn't recognise it as poison ivy last week when I was handling it extensively, examining the rust on the leaves, and feeling them with my hands...

So... that's where it came from... good thing I'm only mildly allergic to it... else I'd probably be dead from how much I was handling it... still can't believe I did that though.  What a bonehead I am!

After examining the entire fence line, I found several more growing all along the fence, so I gave up the idea of killing them with boiling water (though it was effective enough against the one by the willow tree, but it poses more risks due to the possibility of inhaling the steam laced with those oils).  So I got some vegetation killer and sprayed it all around the base of the fenceline and the foundation of the house.  I feel kinda bad, but not too bad for that, because at least now I won't have to go around with the weed eater anymore this year. 
suprstakr
House Bee

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 04:09:38 PM »

Borow a couple of goats for a couple months . No ivy of any kind left , even blackberry bushes .
 Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 08:44:27 PM »

That is good to know... I'll remember that later when I get some more acreage...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next