Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 26, 2014, 04:05:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thunder, lightening, the storm  (Read 876 times)
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« on: July 03, 2008, 10:08:25 AM »

Wow, what a day, the temperature by 4:00 was up to 30C (86F).  That is HOT, HOT, HOT for our area.  My Husband and I had an early dinner and went for a long ride up to a lake, it was beautiful.  We came home, relaxed with a brew and then wind began.  I am a weather watcher, and am fairly accurate with forecasts.  The wind cooled the air slightly, prior to that, there was no whisper of any wind under our beech tree by our pool.  That is unusual, there is always a very slight cooling breeze when one sits below this magnificent shade tree.

As the evening progressed the winds were increasing in strength.  My Grandson and two of my Nephews had been working really hard on their tree fort.  It is about 12 feet above the ground and they have it set up beautifully.  I went up there before they finished cleaning that house and put my woman's touch in there.  Wiping down any areas that had those scarey spiderwebs that these young men are afraid of.  Making sure that all the earwigs are not gonna get them in the middle of the night, the black stink beetles were all gone totally.  They had done a pretty good job, considering the gender (hee, hee, now don't get all pissy about that one, guys).  They had worked, cleaned the windows, vacuumed (yes, they wanted all the bugs that they could find gone), built a little table to house their water, mini TV and stereo.  We could hear them singing along to their tunes.....oh those days of childhood....young teenager boys, aged 13-15, having the time of their life.  I climbed up their ladder to their trap door, knocked on it and they let me look inside.  All set up, comfy and safe.  Good, now I feel OK.  Their Mothers felt that they would be fine too.

About 9:30 PM, still light outside, I warned them that there was a bad storm coming.  If they see any lightening, and hear the thunder, they must come into their homes.  They agreed to comply.  Well, it wasn't long before I saw sensor lights in the yard go on.  I went out onto my bedroom patio (I am in bed by that time, not asleep, it was too hot, even with all the doors and windows open, and I was worried about the forthcoming storm).  I could hear these excited boys talking about the thunder and lightening.  It had not yet begun, but I think they had the fear within them and decided the tree fort was not the place to spend this night.

The storm came.....hard and big time.  About 11:00 PM the lightening began in the far east, the thunder took over 10 seconds to come after the lightening, it was a fair ways away.  Some time after the first lightening visual, the big lightening came, the entire sky lit up, for numerous times, over the course of many hours, the rains came.  Torrents of hard rain, then light rain, and then back to hard rain.  It has been dry for well over a week now, the rain will do everything good.  The thunder brought the dog scramblin' to the safety of our bed, and there he slept in his usual position at the bottom of the bed.  He sleeps with us at night.  He comes into our room around 1:00 AM and asks to be allowed up, he gets the OK every night and finds his spot on the bottom where he does not bother us at all, he is pretty accurate.  He is a big dog, a dalmationXrottwheiller, but he is perfect in the way he lays, we have a king size bed so there is lots of room.

Yes, where was I in this story?  Guess there wasn't much more.  The skies are showing blue between the clouds, I can see the shine on the leaves of the Big Leaf Maple, and I know that this will be a beautiful day, the blackberries have had some moisture and that flow will be even stronger than it already is.  A good year for the blackberry flow and the bees, yeah!!!  After last year and narry an ability to forage the blackberry, this year the opposite.  Beautiful, most wonderful day, love our beautiful lives we live and share, my forum friends, good health wishes to you all.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 10:21:05 AM »

cindi, we got the same last night.  quite a show!!  how's your honey production looking for this year???

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 01:45:29 AM »

Kathy, oh those storms!!!!  The colonies are still building up, big time.  The blackberry flow I thought was in full throws, nope, just beginning, I will know in a week or so if there is going to be any nectars stored, the phacelias and borage going strong, hyssops comin' on.  We'll see.  Tell of what you are seeing at your place....No clue yet what is going on here yet, just getting back into the swing of watching....beautiful day in this most wonderful life.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 12:43:55 AM »

Cindi & Kathy, WOW, the storms were magnificent!  I LOVE thunder storms!  It was sooo muggy & hot but the rain was so hard & sidewise I couldn't open the windows far! Our power went out.  Hated to light candles & oil lamps in the heat..Just as I got the last one lit..power back on!  angry   Cindi, it's so fun to hear about your brave young grandsons & the bugs!  I agree it is dangerous to be out in the storms..I was for the 1st part corralling all the chix as I wasn't home when it started & the wind had blown the barn door shut..they were in trees & bushes & rafters in the hay part of the barn. I wasn't going to let em be not locked up, lost too many & Ginny still recovering!  Still haven't caught that $%!! raccoon..someday.. evil  I have it's pool all ready. evil evil  Our blackberries are just starting.  So many microclimates here that it should last into Aug.  The ones on the w side of the driveway are opening up, the e ones still very tightly closed.  Better go give Maddy some doggy downers..she can't really hear the firecrackers any more but the changes in air, vibrations scare her.  Someone in the neighborhood had big boomers..I can't see the fun in just noise, I like the things that are pretty & sparkly in the air!  Have a wonderful 4th!  Oh yea, Cindi, you guys don't do the 4th! Kathy, how do your horses do with the noise??    Jody

I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 10:58:39 AM »

Jody, yep, no 4th of July for us, but we had a long weekend this past one, Tuesday was the actual "holiday" though.  I think it is called Canada Day or something like that.  This rain we have been having has been wonderful, good showers, then sun, and then more sun, and then cloudy, no rain, but warm.  The bees are loving it, the moisture is providing excellent nectar flows with all the flowers, and yep, yep, the blackberries comin' on hard.  I know what you mean about the "micro climates" around, some areas of my place too, the blackberry flowers have yet to open, still those tight little buds, so it does carry on for quite some time.  I noticed the hyssop beginning to set the flowers, they will be full blown bloom in another week, now that is a flow all in its own, yeah!!!  Beautiful most wonderful day, lovin' and livin' this great life we share.  Cindi

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next