Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 25, 2014, 08:05:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One for Johns files, and a read for all.  (Read 1025 times)
Anonymous
« on: December 26, 2004, 09:36:35 AM »

Smiley Big L 22 posted this on the tractor forum I belong to, I wanted to share it with my bee keeping friends.

The embers glowed softly, and in their dim light,
> I gazed round the room and I cherished the sight.
> My wife was asleep, her head on my chest,
> my daughter beside me, ic in rest.
>
> Outside the snow fell, a blanket of white,
> Transforming the yard to a winter delight.
> The sparkling lights in the tree, I believe,
> Completed the magic that was Christmas Eve.
>
> My eyelids were heavy, my breathing was deep,
> Secure and surrounded by love I would sleep
> in perfect contentment, or so it would seem.
> So I slumbered, perhaps I started to dream.
>
> The sound wasn't loud, and it wasn't too near,
> But I opened my eye when it tickled my ear.
> Perhaps just a cough, I didn't quite know,
> Then the sure sound of footsteps outside in the snow.
>
> My soul gave a tremble, I struggled to hear,
> and I crept to the door just to see who was near.
> Standing out in the cold and the dark of the night,
> A lone figure stood, his face weary and tight.
>
> A soldier, I puzzled, some twenty years old
> Perhaps a Marine, huddled here in the cold.
> Alone in the dark, he looked up and smiled,
> Standing watch over me, and my wife and my child.
>
> "What are you doing?" I asked without fear
> "Come in this moment, it's freezing out here!
> Put down your pack, brush the snow from your sleeve,
> You should be at home on a cold Christmas Eve!"
>
> For barely a moment I saw his eyes shift,
> away from the cold and the snow blown in drifts,
> to the window that danced with a warm fire's light
> then he sighed and he said "Its really all right,
> I'm out here by choice. I'm here every night"
>
> "Its my duty to stand at the front of the line,
> that separates you from the darkest of times.
> No one had to ask or beg or implore me,
> I'm proud to stand here like my fathers before me.
>
> My Gramps died at 'Pearl on a day in December,"
> then he sighed, "That's a Christmas Gram always remembers."
> My dad stood his watch in the jungles of 'Nam
> And now it is my turn and so, here I am.
>
> I've not seen my own son in more than a while,
> But my wife sends me pictures, he's sure got her smile.
> Then he bent and he carefully pulled from his bag,
> The red white and blue... an American flag.
>
> "I can live through the cold and the being alone,
> Away from my family, my house and my home,
> I can stand at my post through the rain and the sleet,
> I can sleep in a foxhole with little to eat,
> I can carry the weight of killing another
> or lay down my life with my sisters and brothers
> who stand at the front against any and all,
> to insure for all time that this flag will not fall."
>
> "So go back inside," he said, "harbor no fright
> Your family is waiting and I'll be all right."
> "But isn't there something I can do, at the least,
> "Give you money," I asked, "or prepare you a feast?
> It seems all too little for all that you've done,
> For being away from your wife and your son."
>
> Then his eye welled a tear that held no regret,
> "Just tell us you love us, and never forget
> To fight for our rights back at home while we're gone.
> To stand your own watch, no matter how long.
>
> For when we come home, either standing or dead,
> to know you remember we fought and we bled
> is payment enough, and with that we will trust.
> That we mattered to you as you mattered to us.
>
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2004, 02:39:13 PM »

Very Timely and right-on Al. I see these men and women every day, away from home but just a keyboard or phone away from their loved ones. It's not the same surely, but separation is a powerful emotion that our people in service deal with every day - it must be extraordinarilly tough, and us COMMON FOLK are so petty in our comforts: we are too cold if a room is below 68 or above 72, we complain about shift work, but we are home 8 hours later to share the holidays, and we complain when we only get 6 hours sleep in our comfy beds at night.

There is a tough breed out there whom I NEVER want to mess with, they sleep in full metal-jacket against their 140 pound packs in the bright dessert sun, while totally tickled to be in the shade of a Abrams Tank while their brothers and sisters cover their backs as the literally fall to sleep from exhaustion. They walk the foreign streets where EVERYONE still has a weapon and uses it for any reason from celebration to murder.

I differ with you a lot politically Al, I know that as much as you - but we will NEVER disagree on these issues! Our country is protected by the bravest souls, the most sophisticated technology and arguably the greatest minds. The only reason the enemy can get at us is that they have no souls, they are dead inside and we can't "Think" like the walking dead. And sadly we have great lost of life because we can't imagine blowing ourselves "and strangers" up, not for any reason.

Even in the Oklahoma City Bombing, Mcvey and Nichols (the pieces of dog-crap they are/were) separated themselves from the devastation they created - Americans can't deal with th mentality of these suicide bombers and the sewers they crawl out of.

Mcvey should NEVER have been given the easy way out - I'm all for putting the murders and souless lifers out of OUR misery, but that scum-bucket should have served LIFE in General Population (which should have been about 3 days sentence if I know our peisons!) not a needle in the arm as if he were getting a tooth pulled. This is where we are screwed up, those who SHOULD get death end up in our prisons for 50 and 60 years, while we feed and house them BETTER than they ever could have managed on their own. More states should have the "First in, First out" rules of Texas when it comes to Lifers.

But before we can do ANY OF THAT - we need to (here's one for all you ACLU lovers) DNA test EVERY NEWBORN, so that in a generation, all crimes can be solved with ZERO percent of wrongful imprisonment. I'm tired of hearing THAT would violate the childs civil rights - NOT if EVERYONE had to have it done, it's just a voilation when it is done SELECTIVELY.

In an ideal world, we should all submit DNA samples, I'm VERY WILLING to swab my mouth right now! Why not, I'm finger printed and photographed and randomly subject to urine tests as a Federal Employee. With Freedom comes costs - and Oxymoron that I'm willing to subject myself to IF it creates a society where the RIGHT guy is imprisioned and NOT walking the streets. That's a good topic though for another post!!!

Thank God for those willing to protect us with their lives, it is a special breed that we all are blessed to have representing us throughout the world. I hope the madness ends and we get them all home soon, but history has told us differently. The next month could be a blood bath if the enemy have their way - the idea of free and open elections scares the hell out of them and "no matter how well prepared" I can't image being everywhere at the same time.

My fear, and I'm sure yours - where will the NEXT GENERATION of military come from? Is is conceivable that an all volunteer military is possible after this nightmare? I don't even see Reservists being a possibility in the long term - who would agree to that when they will likely be raked over the coals as these reservists have been.

I don't see GW starting a draft, but the door is wide open for it in 4 years or any time there after. I don't see the patriotic ferver that swept the country in WW2 in this post 9-11 world. Again, I agree that this administration dropped the football with poor planning and because of that we may be in that land for decades to come.

The idea of turning this over to an Iraqy Military/police force and the US standing down into an "Assistive" position sounds great, but will only last until the first mass casualties come and then, we'll be back in the driver's seat and I'm affraid stay in that seat for a very long time.

Thanks for the great poem Al - yes, that is one for the Files! I'm a fortunate guy as many of us are - but the greatest gift we all share is compassion and pride for those serving in defense. May they all come home soon.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
Jay
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2004, 08:31:33 PM »

Amen! May God keep all our boys and girls safe untill they return to their families ( and ever there after ) they deserve it!!!!

By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next