Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 22, 2014, 06:53:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: laying worker drone cell size, ?? question 2 Spiders???  (Read 843 times)
we BEE crawson
New Bee

« on: June 22, 2008, 11:56:53 AM »

Hay now... I have a question without ramble....   Is a drone cell size from a laying worker the same as if it were made from a queen...when in worker cells they make the bullet shape???   or is the laying worker drone capped in a worker cell without the extra bullet space??  I have read that the laying worker drones are smaller but how much??   

question 2     are spiders or which spiders are detrimental to the health of a hive??  Will spiders eat bee eggs or larva or even bees for that matter??..   And then on the other side of the hive are there any spiders that are helpful to the bees.  as in eating bugs that should not be in the hive.  basicly how bad or good is it to have spiders take up residency in the hive bodies?? 

I am just wondering about both situations.  I don't have either... at least the last inspection did not indicate these conditions.
mark
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 01:09:09 PM »

the cell size determines whether a queen will lay fertilized or unfertilized eggs.  if she gets up in the honey storage area where cells are made larger she will lay drone eggs there.   a laying worker has no choice but to lay unfertilized eggs.  worker larva cells are capped flat and drone larva cells are always capped dome shaped no matter what size the cell.
    a healthy hive will keep all other critters at bay and the only spiders you should see will be under the bottom board or maybe in the telescoping top.  i have never found them to be a problem.   if they are in the brood area your hive is weak and you should take steps to correct
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 01:22:08 PM »

The worker will lay in a worker sized cell and it will be a drone and it will have a dome (bullet) top.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 10:39:55 PM »

Drone brood is always capped with domes.  Flat caps are always workers.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next