Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 30, 2014, 06:57:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yes there is...  (Read 3893 times)
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 09:55:40 AM »

Life on Earth is a fluke. It shouldn't have happened. There are many things that had to come together to start life. The odds were against each of those things even being here on earth. And even lower odds that all the right things ever came together in the right place at the right time to start the life at all.

They, the people in the know, say there are no two snowflakes alike. Just think of the trillions of snowflakes that fall every year around the world. And no two are alike?

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2008, 10:55:44 AM »

I agree no two are alike  but who is to say what intelligent life is( some might argue humans do not fit this definition) I agree yes it was amazing that life formed here on Earth but what is to say some other "intelligent life form " didn't come to pass somewhere else. Maybe they were not carbon based like us maybe they are some revolting plasma filled amoeba I don't know but I do believe somewhere out there is some thing else beyond what we know. It is just too vast a space to believe nowhere did it accidentally happen again. I also think this vast space is what prevents us from knowing about one another. When space is measured in years it takes light to travel we have a hard time understanding that. We in America measure distance in miles and relate that to car travel= MPH to convert that to space travel is fruitless we do not have space for the zeroes.
I just have a hard time saying with blind postulation that nothing else is out there with out at least looking first. How long have we really looked with the technological ability to actually find something 30 years? Alpha Centauri system is the closest to us with 3 planets and it is 4.22 light-years away after that the distances are mind numbing. I would just like to take a look out the front door before I say there’s nobody on the front lawn.

Keith
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2008, 12:06:13 AM »

They, the people in the know, say there are no two snowflakes alike. Just think of the trillions of snowflakes that fall every year around the world. And no two are alike?

Actually, that one has been debunked... two identical snowflakes have already been found... on the windshield of a passenger jet even.

As for intelligent life in the heavens, I think we need to find intelligent life on earth first...  grin  j/k

Personally, I really don't think they care if the life out there is intelligent or not.  They just try to find some kind of life... and I think it would be interresting either way, but as war of the worlds denoted, if we ever do find life elsewhere, let's hope we don't bring home any viruses or bacteria that we have no immunity to...
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2008, 12:35:17 AM »

Actually, that one has been debunked... two identical snowflakes have already been found... on the windshield of a passenger jet even.

Was this thing flying at the time? Did they put them under a microscope?

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2008, 05:03:44 AM »

Was this thing flying at the time? Did they put them under a microscope?

No and yes.

They were actually transported to a lab to be examined, photographed, etc... at the cost of a few million bucks I'm sure (the other thing science is really good at, is wasting money on silly things like this).
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2008, 09:58:51 AM »

http://www.earthsky.org/faq/is-it-true-that-no-two-snowflakes-are-ever-the-same

Are all snowflakes different, or are any two snowflakes ever the same?

Snowflakes are crystals – you could see them in many different shapes if you let them fall on a black surface and looked at them with a magnifying glass. But not all snowflakes are the lacy “star”-type snowflakes you see in pictures. A range of different basic shapes form at different temperatures – so the kind of snowflake depends on the temperature of the cloud in which it formed. Relatively warm clouds yield lacy or starry snowflakes. Very cold clouds yield snowflakes known as “columns.”

We’ve all heard that no two snowflakes are alike, and that’s true of the star-shaped ones. On the other hand, column-type snowflakes have simple, solid prism shapes – much as if you cut a section out of a lead pencil. While the ratio of their length to thickness can vary, column-type snowflakes don’t have a complicated structure – many are very much alike. But even these snowflakes aren’t identical when you look closely – at the level of the snowflake’s molecules. So, are any two snowflakes alike? The answer may be – it all depends on how closely you look.

Jerry

SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2008, 12:02:03 PM »

Simple mathematics however, dictates that there are only a certain number of shapes possible for a given volume... that means it's a large but finite number of possible snowflakes, even molecularly speaking, even for star shaped snowflakes.  As long as 1 more snowflake falls than the total number of possibilities between both types, then there MUST have been two identical snowflakes.  Now since snow is constantly falling somewhere on earth, to the tune of anywhere from a million to a few trillion flakes per second (possibly more at times), and that the earth is pretty darn old, and will continue to exist for a long time to come... I think it's far more likely that there's been more snowflakes that have fallen than there are possible shapes. 

That's purely speculation though.
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2008, 12:58:38 AM »

I would say it is more likely that the probability of finding to identical snowflakes in the same snow storm is problematic.

How's that for an answer as clear as mud?

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next