Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 18, 2014, 06:13:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Dad  (Read 1041 times)
Pond Creek Farm
Field Bee

« on: June 15, 2008, 11:48:30 PM »

Dad and Mom came over this afternoon for a father's day cookout with my sister and my wife's parents.  Dad is a baker now and a serious consumer of honey (about 600 lbs a month) but just today talked with me seriosuly about my bees and what I've been trying to do on my farm.  It was nice since he has for the most part ignored the efforts.  I sometimes wonder if it is because my interest was sparked by my maternal grandfather who kept bees after retiring from the machinists' union and a life time of work at Bendix.  Dad did not seem too complimentary of Grandpa Gray when I was growing up and did not seem too enthused at my choice to name my first child "Gray".  Dad and I have always been close, he was even my best man, but we have always also had a tension that seems to come from my unwillingness to agree as often as perhaps I should. I am trained as a trial lawyer and make my living representing doctors, hospitals, truckers and ordinary people who need a bit of advice now and then.  This makes me a bit more likely to bristle at being told what to think or what to do, and this may lead to some of our differences.  In any event, today brought back to the front of my mind the bond between fathers and sons. Dad and I do not always see eye to eye, and he is often upset with me for being too busy to call enough, but his simple interest in my bees and the trouble I have had with the recent floods which took most of my hives let me know that he may not say it, but he loves me and thinks about the things that trouble me with an eye towards fixing the situation.  Funny, that is how I see my sons as well.  I am forever trying to fix things for them so they can be happy.  I thik my dad has been a bit distant because I have been a bit distant in that I am working too much.  I justify it by telling myself that I have many families that depend on my efforts, but in truth, I can see after them and spend time with my father. He reached out to me today, so I will see that I reach back and pay more attention to what matters. Funny how a pack of bees can help a pack of humans. 

Brian
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 01:25:00 AM »

Brian that post was beautiful.  Made me cry w/missing my Dad. I so wish I had him here for Fathers day, or any day.  Those of you who still have their parents, make the time as there isn't ever enough time spent with those you love & then they are not there. I'm so glad you had today, the bridge of the bees connecting you both again in a different way.  Relationships flow & ebb like the tides, always there but ever changing the shores.  Problems, tiffs & arguments are like a pebble in the big scheme of things.  Love & respect are the shores maturing & morphing as a constant.  Keep us posted on your rebuilding of the bees. Your Father may have picked up some tidbits from Grandfather!  Isn't it amazing how someone you know your whole life can come up with things, knowledge & experiences you didn't know about?   Life is a great adventure! Geezzz, reading this over, I don't' even recognize myself! shocked  I must have read too many of Cindi's posts rolleyes  It does make my heart warm to hear people connecting.  I better go to bed before I get more mushy... Wink  Jody

I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard
Bee-Bop
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 12:37:56 PM »

Ain't it funny how smart Dads get as we get older ?

Must be something about attorneys; I have two stepsons that are lawyers, one a big liabilites [sp]lawyer in K.C. the other a realty lawyer [ deeds etc. ]

Neither one has time to call or visit their mother very often.

Oh, and we helped put them thru law school, SMU - Dallas, Wash.U-St Louis, Mo.State - Columbia & K.C.

Rant's Over; Love'm dearly but would still like to blister their --- for not at least calling their Mom more often !

Bee-Bop

" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 08:44:41 AM »

Ain't it funny how smart Dads get as we get older ?

Bee-Bop
From my experience having and being a dad:

First they are really smart and know everything
Then they get really dumb, rocks are more intelligent
Finally, somehow, they revive from the haze of stupidity and start to get smart again, and though they never attain their original smartness, they do get pretty close.

Judging from my older kids, I'm descending to the rock level.  At least my youngest kids think I'm pretty smart Smiley
After that...its going to be a few years before I start to get smart again. rolleyes

It is wonderful, though, when we come to our senses and start to realize again what is important in our lives, and it isn't money or stuff.  It isn't easy being interested in things that don't really interest me, but sometimes we have to put that aside for the sake of relationships.

I wish the best for you and your dad.

Rick
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 09:54:01 AM »

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 08:01:52 PM »

I learned a lot from my Dad, the funny thing is that his life and mine have so many parallels that it is uncanny.
Such as: We were both born on the 6th day of the month, We were both the 2nd born son, we both had 5 children, both of served in the US Army during war time and served in the Intellegence branch and attained the rack of Sgt (E-5).  We both became police officers, both were forced to retire due to on the job injfuries, and we both suffered from chronic health problems since childhood.
We were close, we didn't have to say much as our experiences were so close to duplicatiing each other that a few words said a bookfull.

But one of the Things I remember most I learned from my maternal grandfather, "If you know half as much when you're 81 as you think you do when you're 18 you can consider your life a howling success."

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next