Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 28, 2014, 12:23:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A mini vacation  (Read 1642 times)
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« on: June 08, 2008, 10:13:10 AM »

Today we are heading off for a few days in our 5th wheel.  Our road trip is about 5 hours and then relaxing until Wednesday morning, then heading home.  My Husband is in a mini golf tournament that his Sister and Husband organize each year.  I don't golf.  I will read, study, organize my pictures and hold down the fort.  There probably won't be internet access where we are staying, so I won't be speakin' to y'all until Thursday morning, but I will be thinking of ya.  Take care, have those beautiful and wonderful days, enjoy your life.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 10:22:54 AM »

Cindi have a great time.  The ability to sit down & read would be heaven!! Not thinking about having to feed this, fix that, check the other, what was that noise, is it getting into my chix?? What's that the dog is digging up...you know the daily things that we with animals, kids & homes share!  I love to read, it's so relaxing & takes you to places you will never go, or want to depending on the author! (Dean Koontz comes to mind...) Have a blast meeting new people, it's amazing how you can always find someone to connect with in different places!  God watch over you in your travels!  Jody

I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 10:28:47 AM »

Cindi, enjoy yourselves!  I love it when we can get away, up in Maine there's no internet, and although I love all youse guys I don't miss the 'net a bit, the peace is what we're up there for.  I hope you find peace on your vacation, and enjoy the time to putter with the things you bring with you!

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 10:53:27 AM »

cindi, enjoy..relax..recharge!!!  smiley

poka-bee...recorded books.  i can download many through my library onto my mp3 player.  library also carries many books on CD.  read and work.  no guilt   evil

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
HAB
HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
Field Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 12:28:17 PM »

Road Trip!!! Smiley Smiley Smiley  Hope you have a Blast!
Gonna really miss that this year.  Usually take 3-6 weeks each summer and go out west to one or more of the National Parks.  But with diesel fuel closing in on $5.00 a gal no way.  Just have to be content to load up the Motor Home and Boat to spend some more time out on the Alabama River or maybe go over to the Suwannee River.  cool
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 03:46:36 PM »

Have a great time!

A great opportunity for me also to go by and raid the hen house. Without Whoppo around, it should be a done deal, I will be bringing 4 roasting bags along and if Abegail trys to spur me again she's going in one of 'em!

...JP Wink

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 09:24:11 AM »

Hey, guess what, I'm back, hee, hee.  Not too much time to spend here, so much to catch up on though, I can imagine there have been some pretty interesting posts while I have been gone.

Jody, Dean Koontz, one of my favourite authors, yours too?  Or were you remembering somewhere in the cobwebs of your mind he is one of my favourite?  I used to read lots, those great books, about 17 years ago.  Since we moved to our farm, I could never find the time to read those species (hee, hee) of books.  It was gardening, and the likes, times do change.

JP, I noticed that Abigail has gone broody again, sitting on probably about 20 eggs, did you scare her into it?  I see all the ducks and drakes are still there, yes, the babies are growing up really fast and out of 10, there are only 3 ducks, the rest are drakes, that is good, more meat for the table, so, guess you just had no luck with catching and roasting any of my poor unsuspecting ducks, you are a brat!!!  Have the most wonderful and awesomely great day, love our lives we live, every day, every minute of that day.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 09:39:36 AM »

Abegail is one sneaky bird, let me tell you, she came out of nowhere and got me with those dang spurs of her's again!!!

...JP

and

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 10:04:30 AM »

Abegail is one sneaky bird, let me tell you, she came out of nowhere and got me with those dang spurs of her's again!!!
...JP

Ah, JP, I missed ya!!!  Abagail is the master of the sneak, you found that out, she snuck out of her brood hut, gotcha and snuck back in....the eggs were still warm, she is the master.....beautiful day, talking to ya tomorrow....Cindi

poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 01:10:09 PM »

Cindi, it's good to have you back!  How was it, what did you do, where did you go, who did you meet??  You are not the only nosy one here! I love Dean Koontz, his books are so scary to me cause many of the ideas are not out of the realm of possibility! The evil lurking in some humans is more frightning to me than any animal!  Forgot to tell JP Abigail is a ninja?  You are going to have birds coming out your ears!  My chicks are growing up so fast.  Last night I had a meeting till 9 or so & came home to put the girls away & they were already in the barn, just like real chickens!!!!  They are busy exploring the yard now. Reminds me of the monster in Lost, the tall grass will be moving along but can't see what's there then out pop the girls.  It's not pouring right now so I better get out there & work on the chix pen/house.  Jody

I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 07:46:49 PM »

Cindi, it's good to have you back!  How was it, what did you do, where did you go, who did you meet??  You are not the only nosy one here! I love Dean Koontz, his books are so scary to me cause many of the ideas are not out of the realm of possibility! The evil lurking in some humans is more frightning to me than any animal!  Forgot to tell JP Abigail is a ninja?  You are going to have birds coming out your ears!  My chicks are growing up so fast.  Last night I had a meeting till 9 or so & came home to put the girls away & they were already in the barn, just like real chickens!!!!  They are busy exploring the yard now. Reminds me of the monster in Lost, the tall grass will be moving along but can't see what's there then out pop the girls.  It's not pouring right now so I better get out there & work on the chix pen/house.  Jody

This is kinda what happened with me but worse cause she actually went after me, and cut me in a few places, I'm still walking with a limp.

...JP                         Curse you Abegail!!! Kiss Wink

and

Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 09:06:03 AM »

JP, oh that video was great, I picture her doing the same thing, you poor guy.

Jody, I didn't do much, basically read bee stuff, re-wrote all my field notes from last year to a permanent record.  It was so good to reread what went on with the bees last year, it took me hours to re-write all my notes into a nice orderly book, but they are done.  We were at a tournament for golf, my Husband golfed with all the others, I just read and did my thing, not a golfer.  Lots of comradery and hanging out around the campfire, there was about 30 people.  Not my gig, I am not a big crowd person, unless I personally have a specific agenda (like Brian's bbq in the late summer).

We have many more eggs coming in the incubator too and another Muscovy is sitting on 20 eggs.  Eeeks.  Faya just hatched out 12 Muscovy babies, they are about 10 days old now, we will have lots of ducks for surely.  Gotta get stuff in order here.  Micky (our white chicken of who knows what breed) just hatched out 6 banties, they are so ding dang cute, look like little chipmunks and the turkey is sitting on 20 eggs again.

I am not going to keep the turkeys, they are a pain in the big butt for sure and the poults are far too stupid for me to want to raise.  I tried them out, not my gig so I have them up for sale.  I am not sure if the hatch will work out or not, the mother (Abigail) keeps getting off the nest for a couple of hours at a time, I may have to just take the eggs away.

Those baby turkeys have been rescued from fencing so many times it makes my head swim.  They do not follow the mothers like ducklings and chicks do, they are always off nosing here or there and then they lose their mothers all the time and try to go straight through fences to get to them, and get their heads stuck, even through 1 inch chicken wire.  Nope, not gonna raise turkeys.  It has been a lesson learned and after the last time of having to get wire clippers, again, to release a young one, and it almost dying because it almost strangled, forget it.......chickens and ducks are so much more easy.  Besides, it sounds like we are bringing my Daughter's horse home here, and I will need that box stall for her.  Eeeks!!!!  I am such a sucker.  Swore we would never keep horses again, but when she looks at me with those pretty little eyes, and tells me how much she would love to bring her horse home here, can I resist?  Guess not.....we have been doing fencing around the property.  Put in 70 fence posts yesterday.  Thank the lucky stars above that my Son-in-Laws Brother has a small excavator and between us all we put the fence posts in.  He just pushed on the top of the post and in the ground it went.  MY Husband, oh that man with guts, held the post straight for the first moment before the push began.

It would have taken us days to pound in all those fence posts with our fence post pounder.  Our muscles would have been further strengthened, but I don't want to use that thing anymore.  It weighs about 80 pounds and even with each person on each side of it holding onto the handles, pounding the fence post into the ground, 70 poles would have been a horrible grunt.  Oh, eeks, I am ramblin'.  Have that most beautiful and wonderful day, love our lives we are livin' and sharin'.  Good to be back missed ya all.  Cindi

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next