Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 23, 2014, 04:39:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: INTERESTING TEXAS FACTS  (Read 1580 times)
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« on: December 20, 2004, 10:04:06 PM »

Nobody asked for them, but here are some little known Texas facts. I know ya'll just can't wait to read them!

Beaumont to El Paso: 742 miles
 Beaumont to Chicago: 770 miles

World's first rodeo was in Pecos... July 4, 1883.

The Flagship Hotel in Galveston is the only hotel in North America built over water.

The Heisman Trophy was named after John William Heisman who was the  first full time coach for Rice University, Houston.

Brazoria County has more species of birds than any other area in North America.

Aransas Wildlife Refuge is the winter home of North America's only remaining flock of whooping cranes.

Jalapeno jelly originated in Lake Jackson in 1978.

The worst natural disaster in U.S. history was in 1900 caused by a  hurricane in which over 8000 lives were lost on Galveston Island.

The first word spoken from the moon, July 20, 1969, was "Houston."

El Paso is closer to California than to Dallas.

Laredo is the world's largest inland port.

Tyler Municipal Rose Garden is the world' s largest rose garden with over 38,000 bushes with 500 varieties on 22 acres.

King Ranch is larger than Rhode Island.

Tropical Storm Claudette brought a U.S.. rainfall record of 43" in 24 hours in and around Alvin in July 1979.

Texas is the only state to enter the U.S. by TREATY, instead of by annexation. (This allows the Texas flag to fly at the same height as the US flag.)

A Live Oak tree near Fulton is estimated to be 1500 years old.

Caddo Lake is the only natural lake in the state.

Dr Pepper was invented in Waco in 1885. There is no period after Dr in Dr Pepper.

Texas has had six capital cities.
         1. Washington-on-the-Brazos
         2. Harrisburg
         3. Galveston
         4. Velasco
         5. West Columbia
         6. Austin

The Capitol Dome in Austin is the only dome in the U.S. which is taller than the Capitol Building in Washington DC. (by 7 feet).

The name Texas comes from the Hasini Indian word "tejas" meaning friends. Tejas is not Mexican for Texas.

The State animal is the Armadillo.

The first domed stadium in the U.S was the Astrodome in Houston.

*An interesting bit of trivia about the armadillo is they always have four babies! They have one egg which splits into four and they either have four males or four females.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Beth Kirkley
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 10:39:53 AM »

Jerrymac-

I know winter is a very boring time........ but trust me, you'll survive. Smiley

By the way, you must now know nobody, since I see you spoke with nobody personally and nobody told you to post this. Maybe you can help those that were looking for nobody so they can speak with them too.

(my brain hurts just trying to type that) LOL

Beth

Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 11:01:14 AM »

Actually that was sent to me in an Email. I thought I would share it with you guys as I know all of you find Texas interesting.  So Nobody didn't really tell me to post that. But Nobody did come to my house last night and did nothing. I missed it all as I was sleeping. There was no evidence that this happened but I'm pretty sure it did as nothing was done to the house during the night. As the frozen Hillbilly pointed out, Idon'tknow, Nobody, and Notme usually run together. I don't know and not me did strike yesterday a couple of times so I just have to conclude that Nobody was around.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

Kris^
Field Bee

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 10:22:46 PM »

How 'bout some New Jersey firsts?

*  FIRST INCANDESCENT LAMP made by Thomas A. Edison at Menlo Park in 1879.
    * FIRST BOARDWALK IN THE WORLD built in 1870 at Atlantic City.
    * FIRST SUBMARINE built in 1878 by John Holland of Passaic County, now in the Public Museum at Paterson.
    * FIRST "CONDENSED" SOUP IN AMERICA cooked and canned in Camden County in 1897.
    * FIRST ROBOT used to replace the human worker by the General Motors Company in Ewing Township in 1961.
    * FIRST SALTWATER TAFFY produced at the Jersey shore in the 1870s.
    * FIRST SOLID BODY ELECTRIC GUITAR invented by Les Paul of Mahwah in 1940.
    * FIRST NATIONAL HISTORIC PARK IN AMERICA established in 1933 at Morristown.
    * FIRST CULTIVATED BLUEBERRIES marketed by Elizabeth White of Whitesbog in 1916.
    * FIRST STEAM LOCOMOTIVE that actually pulled a train on a track, built by John Stevens of Hoboken in 1824.
    * FIRST TOWN TO BE LIGHTED BY ELECTRICITY, Roselle, in 1883.
    * FIRST ORGANIZED BASEBALL GAME played in Hoboken in 1846.
    * FIRST WORLD SERIES RADIO BROADCAST, the baseball game was broadcast live over Radio Station WIZ in Newark in 1921.
    * FIRST INTERCOLLEGIATE FOOTBALL GAME played in New Brunswick on November 6, 1869. The 25-man teams were fielded by Rutgers University and Princeton. Rutgers won, 6 to 4.
    * FIRST AIRPLANE PASSENGER SERVICE inaugurated at Atlantic City on May 3, 1919.
    * FIRST COPPERMINE IN AMERICA opened by enterprising Dutch settlers in the Kittatinny Mountains, circa 1640.
    * FIRST DIRECT DISTANCE DIALING, COAST TO COAST service was inaugurated at Englewood on November 10, 1951.
    * FIRST "DRIVE-IN" MOVIE THEATER built on a 10-acre plot in Camden County in 1933.
    * FIRST FERRY SERVICE IN THE U.S. operated between Hoboken and Manhattan in 1811.
    * FIRST MAIL VIA ROCKET sent from Greenwood Lake 150 yards into New York State in 1936.
    * FIRST SEASHORE RESORTS opened in Cape May and Long Branch in the early 1800s.
    * FIRST MISS AMERICA chosen in Atlantic City in 1921.
    * FIRST MOTION PICTURE developed by Thomas A. Edison at West Orange in 1889.
    * FIRST BREWERY IN AMERICA opened in Hoboken in 1642.
    * FIRST PHONOGRAPH made by Thomas A. Edison at Menlo Park in 1877.
    * FIRST BALLOON FLIGHT IN AMERICA made by Jean-Pierre Blanchard. On January 9,1793, he landed a balloon at Deptford carrying a letter from George Washington.
    * FIRST PROFESSIONAL BASKETBALL GAME played in Trenton, 1896.

-- Kris
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 10:44:36 PM »

Edison sure had the vision Huh?

Now that's basically what I thought I would get. Who else has some little known tidbits about your State, city, country?

Jerry

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next